parts for 254 m-series flathead six

A

Anonymous

Hi, I was reading this forum and noticed that there were some knowledgeable folks out there on this subject. I recently purchased a 1950 Ford F6 with the 254 inline six. The engine runs great, but has a bad knock in the #1 cylinder. After further investigation it seems that the engine got very hot at some point and burned the rod which ruined the rod bearings and damaged the crankshaft. I would very much like to rebuild the engine and restore the truck which is in beautiful condition. I have had difficulty finding parts for this particular model. I am looking for a set of rings, rod bearings, main bearings, and a complete gasket and seal kit. While I'm at it I thought I would work on the clutch. Are these parts available? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. :D

The parts are available. The pistons (and therefore the rings) are shared with the 337 cube Lincoln flathead built from '49 to '51 (the 337 was also used in F7 and F8 trucks from '48-51). The rods are 254 specific so I hope yours are in good shape. If not, good luck finding a replacement. I don't know if 226 rods will interchange or not, the piston pin may be a different size. The 226 rod is not as strong as the 254 rod. The 254 used the same crankshaft as the 226, just find a 226 crank. All other internal parts, including bearings, interchange between the 226 and 254, The gasket set will be the same except the head gasket and the secondary oil pan gasket (for the removable sump area). Egge or maybe Kanter will have the parts you need, but will be expensive. The pistons, rings, and head gasket you will have to get 254 specific, but you can order a 226 overhaul set and have everything else (except the sump gasket which is easy to make from gasket material).

The clutch is the same as the flathead V8 truck clutch. If you can't find a listing for your clutch find one for the same year V8 with the same diameter clutch and you should have the right part.

Back