All Small Six Performance/Drivability help needed.

This relates to all small sixes
78-200-C4, He is within the forum rules, what you are saying is not..It is that simple.
So you have nothing to add to solve the author's performance problem but support hijacking threads with unneeded, not asked for EFI advice.
Reviewing the original post and one later comment by the author shows that an expensive $1757.75 complete Sniper system is not an option. No advice was asked for concerning an EFI system. A 1757.75 Sniper system can end up being a pile of junk on a garage floor when RFI problems present themselves. I also doubt that the original low amp RFI noisy 67 alternator will support this system. So now we have another cost.
I have read the Holley forums and they convinced me that I would never buy a Sniper. My neighbor who is retired garage owner removed a Sniper system from a friend's car then installed a Holley carburetor.
I once had a complete rebuilt 200 that would not get out of it's own way. I replaced the restrictive muffler and that cured the problem.

Holley Sniper EFI Autolite 1100.
$844.95
Sniper EFI HyperSpark Distributor - Ford I6 144-250ci - Black 565-315BK
$281.95
Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition Coil 556-152
$43.95
Sniper EFI HyperSpark CD Ignition Box 556-151
$233.95
Holley EFI Fuel System Kit 526-5
$352.95
Total
$1757.75
Alternator upgrade $$$ ?

"Looking for a little advice. Just got the 67 Coupe on the road 6 cyl, AT. Bought it a year ago and we did a lot of work to it. It was a running driving car when we bought, although not street legal. I believe I have the original load-o-matic distributor with a petronix module, and I have a Holley 1940 1bbl that I rebuilt. The engine runs smooth at idle and has 180-190 psi on all cylinders and vacuum is steady at 18. Timing is set at 12 degrees. C4 trans that shifts thru all the gears smoothly. However, when I get on the gas, the car cannot get out of its own way. No power, no real ability to get up to speed.
I’ve done a little bit of reading and found that an HEI distributor upgrade could help (or a duraspark II). This will be a daily driver for my son, his trip to school is about 7 miles. I just want to make it drivable right now, and we can update/upgrade as we go forward. Any advice/input is appreciated. Thanks."
"I was seriously considering the Sniper. I have a FiTech on my 1970 Bronco.Cost is the issue for the sniper right now and I really needed to get the car on the road for my son. Maybe in the future."

I am not familiar with small sixes or LOM, but it sounds like you don't have enough timing advance or possibly too rich a fuel mixture for some reason. 20 degree "initial"/constant/permanent timing should work ok if that is easily doable with your small six set up and make sure you are not getting too much fuel for some reason
most (not all) of these engines are meant for 12-15 degrees ATDC, but your specific setup, and cam can alter what is best for your build.

Back