All Small Six Piston Rings?

This relates to all small sixes

Cesarvi17

Subscriber
Supporter 2023
Hello, I bought these pistons for my Ford 200 American Block; however I can’t find (or at least not sure) what rings would work with these pistons.

If anyone else has used these, what rings did you end up using?

Thank you

If theyre for the Australian 200 (says so in ad) then standard 1/16 1/16 3/16 rings in 0.060 oversize should do it, Hastings? These being hypereutectic should work well even with some boost.

I don’t know what the pros and cons are for Moly Rings and other types of Rings but I’m trying to look for a set of 6 so the other 2 in the set of 8 don’t go to waste. Whats the advantage of Moly Rings if you don’t mind me asking?

Phosphate coating is only .001 thick and I find it less durable, whereas Plasma-Moly (Moly) is normally .010 - .030 thick and generally more durable.

If its a standard style rebuild then Phosphate is ok.

Also if you are new to this having a spare ring or two is not a bad thing especially if you decide to file fit them and go too far or break a ring during installation.

I don’t know what the pros and cons are for Moly Rings and other types of Rings but I’m trying to look for a set of 6 so the other 2 in the set of 8 don’t go to waste. Whats the advantage of Moly Rings if you don’t mind me asking?
Trust me if you get 6, there will be an issue with one or an oop,s will happen and you will be happy that you have the spares, unless you are John Wick.
I also like the Moly rings, unless you plan to boost it a lot. But that may not apply with modern tech. Stock 70,s small six's were moly.

Last edited:
Phosphate coating is only .001 thick and I find it less durable, whereas Plasma-Moly (Moly) is normally .010 - .030 thick and generally more durable.

If its a standard style rebuild then Phosphate is ok.

Also if you are new to this having a spare ring or two is not a bad thing especially if you decide to file fit them and go too far or break a ring during installation.

Trust me if you get 6, there will be an issue with one or an oop,s will happen and you will be happy that you have the spares, unless you are John Wick.
I also like the Moly rings, unless you plan to boost it a lot. But that may not apply with modern tech. Stock 70,s small six's were moly.

Thanks guys for the help and info.

More Qs (for me, but may assist Cesarvi w/thinkin thru the build) than answrs
I believe Moly take a lill longer to wear in?
can adapt to a 'less trued' boar?
He will not have to dress the ring in this application?
(ie grind the butt ends of the rings for gap/square)

More Qs (for me, but may assist Cesarvi w/thinkin thru the build) than answrs
I believe Moly take a lill longer to wear in?
can adapt to a 'less trued' boar?
He will not have to dress the ring in this application?
(ie grind the butt ends of the rings for gap/square)
Good Qs to ask. Any info is appreciated of course.

if ur buyin prts I thought U might B doin the assembly too. Justa hint
to the experts advising U here... my 1st assembly was supervised by
boots on the ground, boss on the other side of the block ("What the
heck yooooo doin there Chad!" in Spanish accent & other wrd choice than 'heck').
8^ 0

Not sure if this has been stated but the Aussie Silvilite pistons DO NOT take a standard ring. The Ring groves are shallow and a standard US ring will protrude out of the ring grove (ask me how I know) so use the Hastings made for that piston or do as I did and buy whatever rings you want and have them back cut to fit... Great piston for the price, but you'll have $300 into rings unless you use the Hastings Cast iron set.

Not sure if this has been stated but the Aussie Silvilite pistons DO NOT take a standard ring. The Ring groves are shallow and a standard US ring will protrude out of the ring grove (ask me how I know) so use the Hastings made for that piston or do as I did and buy whatever rings you want and have them back cut to fit... Great piston for the price, but you'll have $300 into rings unless you use the Hastings Cast iron set.
Do you happen to know which set specifically?

Do you happen to know which set specifically?
Only one set and it was cast Iron ring set, I don't remember the number off hand, but I'm sure I have posted it on this site before. do a searchusing Fast64ranchero see what you find. If that doesn't work, contact Silv-lite and ask that question, that is how I found out.

I ended up calling Total Seal to get custom made ones. However, after giving them the bore, the groove depth, and the groove lengths, they were able to locate a complete set.

Back