rebuild fuel pump

Johns62

Hi all i have a 62 wagon 144 six and once again i have a leaky fuel pump, through the vent holes. there doesnt appear to be any holes in the diaphragm but certainly small cracks. car doesnt get driven too regularly. i replaced this pump about 4 years ago less than 8oo kms , is there any supplier of the diaphrams i cant seem to find a vender, help please, thanks
johnIMG_E1851.JPG

You may find it easier to remove and block off the mechanical pump and replace with an electric version.

You may find it easier to remove and block off the mechanical pump and replace with an electric version.
thankyou ! thats just what i was discussing today. it seems impossible to find the diaghram, seems crazy that we have to throw things a away rather than replace a ten dollar part. if they only last 4 or 5 years this is gong to be an ongoing issue that i dont want. do you have any brand preferences?

The other option would be a wrecker and a used fuel pump. Also this topic is not in the correct place as your fuel pump is not a forum problem.

I requested your topic be moved so others may see it and help you.
no worries , so i bought an electric fuel pump to replace the mechanical pump on my 144 wagon, but realised i have vacuum wipers on this car. i decided to instead put the electric pump on my ranchero 170 which has electric wipers. so spent much of the day doing the multi swapping and today fired them both up,
two things happened, 1: now the carb on the 144 leaks through one of the side diaghrams. i assume the replaced mechanical pump has just transferred some extra pressure onto the fuel supply at the carb and highlighted that existing problem, so i hope i can now replace that part.
2 : on the 170 on the ranchero there is a small leak on the carb side of the electric pump right at the fitting to connect the fuel line. i have torqued that as far as i want to go , so should i have put tape on that brass fitting before i connected the fitting into the fuel pump?
thanks

should i have put tape on that brass fitting before i connected the fitting into the fuel pump?
thanks
Yes. This is assuming both lines are the same type. A flair-seat line won't seal on a standard fitting.

Another option would have been to set up the electric pump to push into the mechanical pump.

Back