Remote water pump

67Straightsix

I've decided to replace my water pump with a remote pump because I need more room for a bigger electric fan to keep the engine under 200 degrees in city driving. The radiator has never lost water and at hwy speeds the car runs 180-185 - but the temp with the current fan around town makes me nerves. I was planning on using a Meziere remote electric water pump. I talked to Meziere rep, and told him how the car is used - he told me around town it would be no problem but if I ran it on open track days it would be inadequate. I know some people on this forum are familiar with electric water pumps and wonder if they have any heat issues at extended high speed driving. The rep also recommended that I use a mechanical remote water pump - which is what I'm leaning towards. Does anybody have any experience with these?

Look into ''bmw electric water pump'' Its made for an every day 218 hp driver...That is my plan and to ditch the electric belt driven stock mech. and fan...I think that the tech is wrong on mech tied to engine, slow speed is where you need the most cooling...I think it would work for what she is doing and if not, a second pump on when it is not...You could pulse modulate the pump speed as needed, with your holley ,I think.

Look into ''bmw electric water pump'' Its made for an every day 218 hp driver..
Interesting the BMW pump flows approximately 40 gpm and the meziere flows 55gpm. I agree my heating problem is at low speed. If I move the pump I'll have room to get more air through the radiator at both low and high speeds. not sure why the rep was being so cautious.
The electric pump would be much simpler to mount then a mech. Are you using the stock water pump location for the block inlet or are you using the freeze plugs like Mike 1187 did ?

We've used the Meziere 55gpm pumps for racing for everything from radiator coolant to intercooler ice water on big displacement engines.
Never had a problem nor did any other racers we knew.

The only reservations I would have using an electric pump for street use is they have a limited life expectancy.
Meziere advertises 3000+ hours. Other companies don't list life expectancy.
I would be a lot more comfortable with a Meziere mechanical pump where there isn't motor or controller failures.

Last edited:
To really know which pump, would pump best under conditions used , they would have to be tested to know whats what...My thinking is that the bmw pump is well designed and an efficient pump made for a daily driver..Mount the pump low , they pump better if they do not have to suck...I did use the stock location on my old build... I dry decked it due to not having a handle on the tune, the water was then routed from the last side freeze plug on the block to the rear freeze plug on the head...New build will have two lines from the remote pump, one to the rear of the head and returning to the rad out the front...The other line will enter the side rear block freeze plug and return to rad out the old pump location... but the majority thru the head..Two flow paths and not in series mostly because the head has been dry decked from before...With the new holley dom and the control over everything the dry decking would not be necessary...The point of dry decking is that if you blow combustion pressure into the water passages the hoses will blow off getting water under the tires, that can be a bad ride at speed.

Following up on the water pump question - After a lot of research, I went with Meziere water pump because it was the only one I could find that would fit and they have a good reputation. The hose between the block and pump is for mock up - I'm going to fabricate a stainless hose. I'm machining a a part for the water inlet and will be installed where the water pump was originally. If I hadn't already put the head on I would have routed the water inlet differently but it's way too much work to pull the head back off!
Waterpump1.jpgWaterpump2.jpeg

I'm very interested in this electric water pump however I have no idea how to install it. Do one of you guys have a YouTube video how to put it on.

not just beemiers, vedub too, no?

I'm very interested in this electric water pump however I have no idea how to install it. Do one of you guys have a YouTube video how to put it on.
It's fairly straight forward. If its not computer controlled the wiring is similar to wiring an electric fan. mount the pump lower than the water level of the radiator. There are many different ways to plumb the out let from the water pump to the block . There are many pictures of V-8 installations Those will give you some ideas. Mike1157 has some pictures on his turbo 250 build. I think cool 23 also runs one.

Last edited:
I think cool 23 also runs one.
On my Roadster I use the stock inline six pump but it is electric driven this allows me to leave the pump and fan running when the engine is off. https://www.holley.com/products/cooling/water_pumps/parts/4333

On the V8 Windsor I have a Davies Craig 25 litre per minute electric booster pump as a back up to the mechanical pump. This is set up so it can by pass the thermostat and circulate water at slower engine speeds like in traffic and allows coolant to circulate when the engine is off.
https://daviescraig.com.au/category/electric-booster-pumps-ebp This system was my own design set up.

I also have a Davies Craig 15 litre per minute unit set up on the 1948 Truck with the Cummins as this helps move coolant throgh the heater system and from the back of the block.

A search on the Davies Craig site will show you a few set ups and you can see others on You Tube if you search for them. I also suggest copper hose like Copperflex is far better than using stainless hose as Copper is used in hot water systems to dispate heat. Car radiators are also made of copper for the same reason.

and is alu better? worse?

no I meant is alu better to pass heat on or copper? U mentioned using copper, I thought but how alu is good w/temp too...
yeah, don't like 'em for radiators either.

no I meant is alu better to pass heat on or copper? U mentioned using copper, I thought but how alu is good w/temp too...
Worse than copper for heat transfer. Aluminum radiators can cool better than copper only from core design.

Copper is better. This is why Copper is used in house hot water services. Copper disipates heat much better.

alu motor, head, carb pads, radiators, etc. "Most abundant ore on earth."
OK, I'll go w/ur wisdom & say "Thnx !"
(All my cooper [in the house] has 'jackets' on. The 'hot' cuz I'm cheep. The cold as it condenses/drips all over).

You 'there yet "67"? If not here's another (or may B it was ur 1st? as it's abt the same pump U mention):

Back