All Small Six Starting issues

This relates to all small sixes
Ok, few things:

I got the new carb installed, did exactly what @Frank had suggested and it started right up. Ran for a few minutes, put it in gear, moved it. Awesome.... BUT the carb is too close to the doghouse and I think I need a right angle carb fuel inlet ( unknown actual name). So is that a thing, where can I get one?

@bubba22349 I do not have instructions the van came like this. I do not know about a mechanical pump, not sure what it would look like. Currently I'm using a fuel cell because there is no gas tank.

Also I cannot attach the fuel filter to the carb due to room issues.

Additional question. Do I leave the fuel pump on all the time or just to get it going?

Attachments

• 20220320_181605.jpg
    20220320_181605.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220320_181611.jpg
    20220320_181611.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
There is a right angle swivel fitting that can work great since you can also turn them to line up better for a tight spot I call them a Banjo Fitting (I sure think that was a correct name for them too), its 2 main parts and two metal gaskets you can see them in the bottom right corner of the lower picture above the air cleaner in this link. https://championcarburetor.com/6180...wbrdesigned-for-modern-fuelbfont-p-10668.html

This might also be the right thread to fit but you would need to verify that, still it gives you an idea of what you are looking for, best of luck. https://www.holley.com/products/fue..._fuel_lines_and_gauges/fittings/parts/19-1QFT

Last edited:
There is a right angle swivel fitting that can work great since you can also turn them to line up better for a tight spot I call them a Banjo Fitting (I sure think that was a correct name for them too), its 2 main parts and two metal gaskets you can see them in the bottom right corner of the lower picture above the air cleaner in this link. https://championcarburetor.com/6180...wbrdesigned-for-modern-fuelbfont-p-10668.html

This might also be the right thread to fit but you would need to verify that, still it give you an idea of what you are looking for best of luck. https://www.holley.com/products/fue..._fuel_lines_and_gauges/fittings/parts/19-1QFT
I'll look into it, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock engine mounted fuel pump is located on the short block on the drivers side if you have one still i didn't see any pictures of the other side of the engine.

The stock engine mounted fuel pump is located on the short block on the drivers side if you have one still i didn't see any pictures of the other side of the engine.
Their is a fuel pump there, it's not hooked up. I'm guessing because their is a fuel cell hooked up dew to lack of gas tank

I have used hardware store 90* parts for that too. Carry the inner brass nipple on the carb with you to verify threads, leave the other two on the carb. there is a good chance you can find a 90* to replace the straight nipple.
Really glad you found that NOS carb. They are becoming rare.

I have used hardware store 90* parts for that too. Carry the inner brass nipple on the carb with you to verify threads, leave the other two on the carb. there is a good chance you can find a 90* to replace the straight nipple.
Really glad you found that NOS carb. They are becoming rare.
Off to plumbing section I suppose!

UPDATE 3/23/22 Lowes didn't have a solution.

Last edited:
look at some of the 90 degree ones on this page. It may give you the information about the fitting your wanting

or here also if you can't source something locally

Last edited:
Make sure that the air filter will not be in conflict with how you fit up the fuel filter.
Should be ok. The air filter is super small
look at some of the 90 degree ones on this page. It may give you the information about the fitting your wanting

Bought! Thanks!

I order the amazon piece and it just pisses gas right out the back of it. Going to order the other

where it screws into the carburetor; is it pipe thread or made for an inverted flare fitting? I'm speaking of the carburetor itself, not the fitting you bought.

In post 21 the first fitting at carb is what I think that you need before the 90 fitting that is leaking, and it has like a half ball inside of the fitting so the 90 fitting will seal on and tighten down on, if the sizes match. Make sense.

Last edited:
where it screws into the carburetor; is it pipe thread or made for an inverted flare fitting? I'm speaking of the carburetor itself, not the fitting you bought.
Correct. Your situation is the matching of the new fitting with whatever is machined into the carb where the two mate. If the carb does not have the inverted flair to match up with the flair on your new fitting, that fitting will not work. Also, if it does have the flair, you will have to be able to thread the collar of the fitting on deep enough to seal the flair. Sometimes this can be a factor.
A tip for looking inside the carb fuel inlet to see what you have: use a small mirror and flashlight. Hold the flashlight near your face, along your line of sight as you position the mirror to see inside the orifice. Play with the angles, and the light will shine straight in, you'll see clearly inside there.

Gentlemen we have success! I got a different holley fitting, screwed right in no problem, gives me the right angle I was looking for. I started the motor today let it run for a few minutes. Then got the van in reverse and 1st to parallel park her on the corner of my drive. Wow no power steering in this thing sucks.

Anyway, now I need to get the correct air fuel ratio / tune the carb. Which I know little about and will be making a new thread to discuss. So I hope you will continue to help me there.

Thank you all!

Video

Attachments

• 20220403_115129.jpg
    20220403_115129.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220403_113752.jpg
    20220403_113752.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Back