This will be fun

It will resist coming off peacefully. Just be careful of housing to turbine blade contact.

Oops! I keep doin that. I’m gonna start proof reading every time.
Anyway I’m letting it sit over night then hopefully tomorrow it’ll come off.

Thanks

Nice find!
The stock wastegate canister is set for very high boost.
I don't know if the spring in the canister can be changed.
Also regulating at a lower boost requires a larger wastegate port since you have to dump more exhaust.

You can slowly apply air pressure with a regulator to see when the wastegate begins to open.

If you go to an external wastegate you can set it for low boost and be be able to increase the boost by using a simple pressure regulator.
Just some thoughts on using the integral waste gate. As pmuller says, check the pressure required to crack and to fully open the gate valve. And there may be some flexibility there depending on push-rod adjustment that determines the amount of spring pre-load. I doubt you can change the spring without cutting the can apart but you may be able to find an alternative actuator from another application that will be more in line with what you want.
Regarding improving waste gate flow, would it be possible to open up the valve seat and use a larger valve head? Something to look into.
I intend to use the internal waste gates on my project as it simplifies the down-pipe plumbing and saves the cost of, in my case, two waste gates.

Thank you for this. I’ve already ordered the non wastegate housing. I’m wondering would the top of the HD manifold work for wastegate. I could probably build a custom piece for this. I’m assuming usually it’s just blocked off with a plate. Maybe there’s not room between the intake and exhaust manifolds. Just a thought.

Thank you for this. I’ve already ordered the non wastegate housing. I’m wondering would the top of the HD manifold work for wastegate. I could probably build a custom piece for this. I’m assuming usually it’s just blocked off with a plate. Maybe there’s not room between the intake and exhaust manifolds. Just a thought.

With the 1v, the smaller opening is direct to intake, so an EFI will require a blockoff anyway. Mine's welded shut. You'd have to cut some of the bracing between the center runners, But it seems like a 2x1 section of tube could extend out, and mount the wastegate to the bottom of it.

Obv not an EFI but shows the space.

80-2015_08_04_16_30_14_e7c73fb40fd6ee8058b1326fda6c993162c4044e.jpg

Thanks!
I’ll have to get an old head and mock it up. Might be kinda cool.

Pmuller I got the housing off. It fought till the end but I won. I saw that you asked on my email alerts but didn’t see in the thread.

Attachments

• 3B7A2DB3-3C1E-43DA-8F77-408D15F33218.jpeg
    3B7A2DB3-3C1E-43DA-8F77-408D15F33218.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
I’m getting everything rounded up for the head build. I’m amassing quite a collection of parts!
I’m kinda excited.

Attachments

• 20496742-0B7B-4139-9710-726BDB397D21.jpeg
    20496742-0B7B-4139-9710-726BDB397D21.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Pmuller I got the housing off. It fought till the end but I won. I saw that you asked on my email alerts but didn’t see in the thread.
I removed it from the thread because I figured you would post it when you were ready.
No need to have extra post in your thread like this one. LOL

All you need to complete the parts collection picture is a Christmas tree.

So Matt at VI just let me know he can’t get the larger valve set from SI. He said SI will only ship them on a bulk order. I guess they aren’t a stock item. Do you think I should order the SBC valves? If so are they going to be compatible with the HS rockers and valve springs and push rods?
Thanks

Get the 4.910" or 4.911" long SBC valves.
You will need longer pushrods.
You will also need to shim the valve springs and use an offset keeper to move the retainer down.

Last edited:
I’ve almost got the bowl work done on the head then it’s going to the shop. I’m having a hard time getting valves from SI. They don’t have any SBC valves for a few weeks. He recommended calling Ferrea. I found these on their site.
Whadaya think?

Attachments

• A99A2EEA-8F68-4430-925F-6F24CFC8B888.png
    A99A2EEA-8F68-4430-925F-6F24CFC8B888.png
    275.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 4AC21CD2-15A0-4780-BF35-502ABDBE348E.png
    4AC21CD2-15A0-4780-BF35-502ABDBE348E.png
    268.5 KB · Views: 9
You really don't need their 6000 series valves that are designed for roller cams with high valve spring pressures

Save yourself a bunch of money and use the 5000 series.

Last edited:
Done. Thank you sir.
Ordered the F5001 intake and the F5005 exhaust. I called Race engineering. Nice people.

Here’s an update on progress thus far. I got the head back from the machine shop Friday. It looks nice. I guess the next step is to cc the chambers. I need to get a head gasket ordered or at least figure out what I’m gonna use. Any preference?
Also what are y’all usin for a valve cover that fits over these rollers?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 09DC915C-55B6-4086-A484-04DE6369D6BD.jpeg
    09DC915C-55B6-4086-A484-04DE6369D6BD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Fel-Pro 1024 head gasket

Set the stock valve cover on and see how much it is lifted off the head rails by the rockers.

Last edited:
Back