All Small Six Yella Terra 1.65 Rocker install questions

This relates to all small sixes
hi all, i'm planning to the put in the RAU rockers in the next few weeks.

Question: what's the best way to bleed the lifters?

from the manual -- "Valve stem to valve rocker arm clearance should be to the specified clearance with the hydraulic lifter completely collapsed"

the special tool to do this (6513-K) seems hard to find. not worth the trouble of making one for a single use.
Should i remove the lifters, disassemble and reinstall?

Attachments

• 1715352525317.png
    1715352525317.png
    125 KB · Views: 4
from the '66 shop manual
valve clearance.JPG

Gentlemen, as the saying goes: "a day in the lab can save you a month in the library, and a month in the library saves you a day in the lab."
As it stands, my "lab" is in a far-away place and parts are hard to come by, so i'm coming to y'all for help. If my questions seem ignorant or pedantic, please know that it's because the stakes are high.

It's true that upgrading to the RAU rockers is unnecessary in the overall scheme of restoring my car-- call it getting carried away. Nevertheless, I'm stuck with the parts now and i would like to install them properly. Making a video of it would be kind of fun.

the question remains: remove and bleed the lifters, or nah?

thank you kindly.

Last edited:
You will find other posts relating to this with more detail if needed or you just want to. Procedure: make sure both valves are fully closed. Tighten the adjuster until all play is removed and push rod stops spinning easily between two fingers. Then tighten adjuster 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. Done this way the lifters should be able to stay put. Prime the oil system on start up and you should be good

Back