D.I.Y THE TURBO EXPERIMENT

George

:LOL: TD CORTINA..JUST FOR FUN!!

http://home.iprimus.com.au/chalikouras/

ignition.jpg

:D Efprosdektos (is this right?)

Fun indeed. My brother's favourite colour in that bay. What's it cost you so far to build the motor? Any specs to share? It's good to get new blood in the Forum.

Even with a few rough edges, you ought to have a pretty decent dyno result.

Adam.

Looking good, with due consideration given to appearance.
(No chrome, polished alloy or even unnecessary painting)

Keep us informed!

ok, I've got a few :D

What sort of turbo are you running? If you've considered other turbos, what made you want to go and choose this particular turbo over other turbo types?

What internals are you using? IE pistons, rods, bottom end bolts, cam?

Any head mods?

What compression ratio are you aiming for, and how much boost are you planning to use?

What intake manifold are you using?

What sort of drivetrain are you considering?

and as asked in another thread, what fuel type are you going to use?

Cheers :D

Hi,

Before i continue, I will ask you to kindly visit my homepage.
http://home.iprimus.com.au/chalikouras/

Please don't take this project too seriously, Many aspects of the project are wrong.

I will answer your questions in detail when I get home tonight.

Just remember..It's just for fun! I am not a commpetitive person.

See Yah

hahaha, thats quite funny... lots of quality humour in there :D

you ARE joking, right?

lol. no matter if you're not.. its still funny :D

I'm glad you found it funny..99% of it is true!!

Details are as follows:

The block is machined 30thou over.

Pistons are low comp Areas forged with Total Seal gapless rings.

The conrods are standard with ARP fastners.

The crank is stock.

The head is a HF 3 which I think has the largest camber (lower comp). All the porting on the head was focused around the valve guide which looked like a big restriction. The valve throats where opened up by my mechanic and a special machine (I don't know what its called!).
All the porting was done with a Dremel, so you can imagine how long it took. No rush I say. Exhaust valves are Yella Terra and inlet ?? double valve springs and stainless retainers.
Because of the ridiculous cam selection - Lift 512 and 291 duration the rockers had to be grinded to avoid hitting the pushrods. (This cam was a mistake- but we are going to give it a go anyway. The idle is very rough - Just the way I like it!!)

The inlet manifold is another slap together special. The idea behind it is to have short runners and a large plenum. The throttle body is a dual 50mm from a f-series truck-I think. I used the standard fuel rail of an XF.
Bosch 044 fuel pump and 363 injectors. Surge tank is feed by a holley Blue.

The turbo is a run of the mill T04. It has a 1.0 exhaust housing and backcut blades. I think this unit is a good compromise between HP and cost. (I already had the turbo which was of my XE..Many years ago!)

The engine management system is a Wolf3D Version 4.

The ignition system uses 6 coils from a 300ZX Turbo and a 6 channel igniter of a supra turbo. It is setup in a wasted spark configuratiion so two coils always spark together.

The car will eventually have a C4 with a 2600 stall. The diff will be replaced with an LSD containing 2.78 or 2.92 final drive.

Bla Bla Bla...I will stop now!

Tell me what you think.

Bye

The

You've got my attention. I'm just salivating, and running a 120 Amp altenator off the drool.
:cool: :checks: :mrgreen: :beer: :shock: :shockin: :wow: :party: :thanks: (y) :nod:

What sort of brakes will you be looking at running as cortina's have a hard enough time trying to slow down a stock 250?

Brakes? Who needs brakes?

You are right. After running in the engine with a draw through setup it became obvious that barkes will need to be upgraded. I have hear of a company that sells kits to convert the front discs and calipers to HQ items.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Just remember it must be CHEAP as posible!

Thanks

A sea anchor. That engine is so bitchin' only a sea anchor would slow it down.

Falcon XD/XE/XF rear discs on the BW 78 diff and HQ or XC/D/E/F front discs with P76, Centura or FWD Austin Princess calipers ( i'm an NZ'er, and we've got to get rid of the Austin stuff...want some free stuff from Kiwiland?).

Thanks for the info. :)

P76? Is this a leyland? I thought these became extinct a long time ago. :!:
Can you still get new brake parts for these?

I will give Castlemaine Rod Shop a call and consider my options.

Thanks

No, P38 , oopps, P76's are pretty thin on ground. But you wanted something cheap ;)

While you at it, ask Rod Hadfield for an SC14 supercharger to give some extra boost. :eek: Too much aint barely enough. :rolflmao: :rolflmao: :rolflmao: :rolflmao: :rolflmao:
:splat:

Man that ignition system is wild. :shockin: :shockin: :shockin: :shockin: :shockin: :shockin: Shock treatment hasn't ever been this good!

That Wolf3D Engine Managment is COOL, but the price :shock:

It's listed at $8500 on their website. :cry:

John

G,Day.

I picked up the wolf system for $700.00 from the trading post.

I might have to consider a S/C for my next slap together, but to be honest i have always been a turbo man. In 94 I had an XE turbo that I used daily (to whip commodores!! :nod: ) (93 was another TD cortina with a T03 , this was a 10 hour turbo conversion. It only lasted 10 hours but it was fun. fun .fun... ) I also had a sigma turbo, intercooled, and gas research which i cained for a couple of years.

:idea: I might consider a hybrid S/C + Turbo??
If I used a S/C for low end power, is it possible to disable it after say 2500rpm? By this stage the turbo should be ready to play.

:unsure:: :unsure::

A Sigma Turbo? In the early '90s? Did you know of a guy called Vince at Sydney Uni? Curious.

And another question: Why the rush always on the projects?

Adam.

Back