D.I.Y THE TURBO EXPERIMENT

Hi,

I live in Melbourne so I can't say I know Vince.

Sigma turbo was bought of a mate for $800.00. I only did a quick rebuild on this one. AS ALWAYS!!. (New rings and gaskets.).

Why the rush??

Why the wait??

The problem is I have many interests so I can't spend too much effort ,time or money on just one.

I only get a limited time away from the wife, so I must cut corners in order to finish!!

Bye

Thanks for all the Brake info. I have ordered the kit from Rod. I will now use XY fron discs with HQ calipers.:D

Over the weekend i was lucky enough to pick up a cortina converted 9inch shortend, 2.78 LSD with the large vented drum brakes. (At an exceptional price!!).

I am looking at changing the rear drum assembly to that of an XF as the ventented drums are too far gone. (The price to replace these could be more than the diff!)

Is it easy to convert the rear drums to disc's?

I will take photo's and have a "show and tell" sension soon.

Bye and thanks to all!

I loved the engine sound on your website!!!!!

I clicked on it then forgot about it while it loaded up through my smelly old modem and I read the page , then it started up with the volume cranked right up! LMFAO!!!

funny, funny shit.

The XD/XE/XF/XG/XH discs are good adaptions to the BW 78, not to the disc braked 9"...they are different. Depending on if you have the vaunted Tank Fairlane diff, or just the Galaxie 390 or XY-XC, the backing plates may need an adpator. The post 79 stuff is bullet prood if adaptoed correctly. The earlier XB GT/LTD/GXL stuff can take a wheel bearing out because of the way the shrink ring connected. Certainly a Safety and Health matter.

Often, getting the handbrake to work well on a disc set up is a bit of a drama. I'd say, check with Rod again.

American imports were often stepped at the axle shaft, and any mods may have caused problems with run out in the diff. The hemispheres varied quite a bit in the LSD equiped ones. Most US 9" weren't Traction lock, so it'd be interesting to see what it used to be from. The Aussie diffs were so much tougher..designed to cope with the worst that 2000+kgs of 351 4-barrel LTD on a rough road could throw at it. Washouts included.

Option two is to use the XB/XC 2.5" finned drums off a Ute. Backing plates won't match on the 9", unless it is the stronger Aussie banjo.

We'll have your money spent soon. That's quite a car!

PS 13 second Cortinas do wheel stands with the BW 78 AND 3.23:1 gears. Yours should be quite allright!

Thanks Again.

Is it possible to simply replace the finned drum brake assembly with drum assembly out of a XD/E/F?

If not, how much would a new set of finned drums cost?

The%20diff.jpg

http://home/iprimus.com.au/chalikouras

George, the finned drums should be available in the US aftermarket/parts stores. NPD springs to mind. Is there a part number on the current units?

The real catch is, you have to know what car you're asking for (not your own!). The idea that people may mix and match is often beyond the comprehension of staff - or so the story goes.

Option 2 says that as these drums and backing plates apparently enhance the er... self amusement of wannabe GTHO builders, see if you can unload them and clear a profit with your new and better gear attached and 100% operational. I have been quoted $200 for used sets, four-five years ago.

Adam.

Hi Adam,

I agree with you, these drums are way overkill. I havent looked for a P/N on them.

I will go to the local pick-a-part wreckers in a couple of weeks and see what I can find to bolt on.

Opps..I stuffed up the images again!!

I'll try again!!
diff.jpg

Update on Brakes.

I could not find any rear drum assy from any other ford to suit my 9inch. My solution was to buy new wheel cylinders and drums. The price was low, so it wasn't worth the extra effort required to change them.

Does anyone know it I need to use a brake bias for the rears?

If I don't, will these large drums cause the rear to lockup?

Any advise welcome.

Thanks

You should use the UC Torana/Sun nerd brake proportioning valve. The guy who certified my Falcon does 34 Coupes with pommy Cortina TF front ends. His nickname is pipe( :stick:) He says the HQ and UC stuff is fairly similar, but he uses the Sunbird one becasue its dirt cheap!

You basically do the stock compliance check that they do for ADR certifaction. Whatever that is. Then adjust via the spring or screwd preset they have in them. Dunno any more than that. I don't use them.

Back