170 with surging issue

Good call these lower gaskets (under the spacer) can often be very old because they arn't replaced as often as the top carb gaskets. So They are dried up and even cracked and a Vaccum leak. Check the spacer real good for cracks or rot from electrolysis that can make them leak coolant too. Best of luck

Been a little bit since I've been on here and I wanted to post an update. I ordered an ultrasonic cleaner and tore the carb apart again, this time I popped off the domed vacuum plug over the Power piston (power valve) so that the vacuum ports and the valve could be cleaned as well. Ran the cleaner for two 30 min cycles.

Reassembled and made my adjustments after it warmed up. Took it for a test drive and while it is still not quite as smooth as I would like, the surge is gone. Got back to the shop and the carb needed to be adjusted again....idle was way low and the idle screw was out. I adjusted that; I'm fairly steady at 18" of vacuum and 600 rpm is where it idles fairly well.

Still not 100% sure of the distributor as the timing light has a "miss" in the strobe and the idle is not as smooth as it could be...barely noticeable; but the strobe issue might be a faulty timing light I've had it for 30+ years.

I'll keep you all posted

Thanks for all the feedback and help

That’s great news that you have improvement. Yes you wil need to get the timing we’re the engine likes it before you can find tune the carb idle mixture and curb odor RPM settings. Best of luck

Hi I've had some surging issues as well.
170 cid 3 on the tree 64 falcon station all stock with pertronix and coil, pony carb.

What helped me was I used a vac gauge to tune the ignition. I've got around 21 inches Hg of vac. My advance is about 11 or 12 deg, no pinging.
I also changed the plug wires and the cap and rotor (basically a tuneup).

What helped most was a replacement of the muffler with the piece of pipe running from just bafter the bend over the rear axle. I culdn't get the original stuff, so I got a bit bigger pipe and a "sports"muffler with DB killer (for less noise) The better flowing muffeler did the trick I think. I've got better acceleration, better milage and no surging anymore.

Good luck with the hunt.
Rinke

Back