223 in 63 Galaxie project and question

63Boxtop

My Galaxie is equipped with the two speed Fordomatic and in my mind it seems difficult to go with any of the performance intakes or multi carb setups due to the transmission kickdown linkage. Any insight into this?FF2D75E1-2637-410F-91D3-CC07DC1CB028.jpeg

My 63 223 has the silent lash rocker system. One of the eccentrics had this bad wear spot....all others fine. I did replace it with a NOS one I had. FD82DDFC-8302-4263-A489-0C246E435C68.jpeg

The aftermarket intakes usally will have the boss cast on the intake just like on a stock 223 intake so that your throttle and kick down linkage should bolt right on. On your rocker wear did you make sure the rocker arm shaft is clean inside so that its oiling properly on all the rockers? Best of luck.

The aftermarket intakes usally will have the boss cast on the intake just like on a stock 223 intake so that your throttle and kick down linkage should bolt right on. On your rocker wear did you make sure the rocker arm shaft is clean inside so that its oiling properly on all the rockers? Best of luck.
I actually thought about that yesterday when I was doing an oil change. I imagine it has to come off and be dismantled. It does not look overly complicated. I will have to dig into the shop manual. One of my concerns is that oil supply line and the little o ring at the bottom. Does the o ring come out with the tube? Some information sources I have researched in the past seemed concerned about messing with this as it is no longer available at least according to them. I have left it alone till now but eventually something has to be done. I don’t think I have had someone with your level of experience with the 223 to give guidance. The oiling at the top end has been something on my mind....just not sure how much is supposed to be up there.

Here is a pic of a Fenton manifold. It has the same holes for the linkage as your stock manifold.

Attachments

• 20210427_101302.jpg
    20210427_101302.jpg
    1,010.7 KB · Views: 4
Here is a pic of a Fenton manifold. It has the same holes for the linkage as your stock manifold.
I noticed in your other intake photos that they also had the boss for the linkage. On the stock manifold the linkage is positioned where the rear carb would be on a dual intake. The linkage position on the dual intake would put it in the middle with some type of extension or other modification to get around the rear carb on the inside and link up with the kickdown rod. I noticed on the Offy website they mention that with their dual intake there is not enough clearance with the hood in passenger cars. How about the other vintage intakes. Is there one that has clearance?

It dosnt need to have very much oil to the top end but it can't be dry, try running the engine at idle with the valve cover off and see if all the rockers are oiling.

I had a realy nice Clifford Ram Flow single 4V intake with a Holley, in my OPIN its one of the very best 223 intakes ever made and I think it was the only single 4V made. If you could find one of those it could work good on your 1963 and I think it would also be a lower in over all height.

It dosnt need to have very much oil to the top end but it can't be dry, try running the engine at idle with the valve cover off and see if all the rockers are oiling.

I had a realy nice Clifford Ram Flow single 4V intake with a Holley, in my OPIN its one of the very best 223 intakes ever made and I think it was the only single 4V made. If you could find one of those it could work good on your 1963 and I think it would also be a lower in over all height.
I did run it with the valve cover off with the oil return line popped off and after a few minutes I got oil coming out of the return hole. I will do a more careful check of each rocker in the next day or so. I also have no concerns about taking the whole assembly apart for cleaning. I just have to make sure I can source a few of the parts I would need like the plugs for the ends of the rocker tube and that pesky o ring on the oil supply tube.

I did look at that Clifford intake and it looks like a good option. The carb stays in the middle so it would be possible to weld on a tab for the kickdown linkage near to it's original location. Then I need to find out if their headers will clear my power steering pump under the generator. It's pretty crowded down there.

Couple of other things I have done recently. Had my copper radiator re-cored and removed and reconditioned the fuel tank. The fuel tank project was driven by the fact that I twisted the drain plug fitting out and since it had a flange on the inside it fell into the tank. I fished it out thru the sender hole. I cleaned the tank out with a combination of E 85, a motorcycle chain and then phosphoric acid. After I got the plug loose from the drain plug fitting I used a stiff wire with a loop on the end to fish the fitting back into the tank and using the wire held it in place while I soldered it back on. Cleaned up and repainted the tank and straps. The tank was solid to begin with so I thought it worth the effort to save it. radiator.jpggas tank.jpg

New rocker shafts and end plugs should be easy to get new there also used to be new rocker arm bushings though I haven't looked for them in awhile. There is also a rebuilding service for the rocker assemblies

This is the height with a Holley 1904. Not sure how much there is in a car but probably add at least 3-4" for a breather.

Attachments

• 20210430_154116.jpg
    20210430_154116.jpg
    991 KB · Views: 5
This is the height with a Holley 1904. Not sure how much there is in a car but probably add at least 3-4" for a breather.
I stood a tape measure on end on the intake with several inches extended and closed the hood. In the position of where the forward carb would be I have seven inches. More in the rear of course. I have the autolight 1100 carb and the overall height from the manifold to the top of the stud is seven inches. The stock breather doesn’t add any height.

Attachments

• E26EE18F-EB09-4C22-ACBD-E2A8A2DA0B52.jpeg
    E26EE18F-EB09-4C22-ACBD-E2A8A2DA0B52.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 6754D876-19F0-4876-833F-A62042358FBD.jpeg
    6754D876-19F0-4876-833F-A62042358FBD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Running the engine with the valve cover off I am of the opinion that a few of the rockers don’t seem to be oiling as well as others. I believe there is enough oil getting to the rocker tube as with the return line pulled it does overflow the return hole in the rocker tube. Some of the pushrods sling oil as they spin, some seem to be getting oil but not enough to sling off droplets and a few seem to be oiling poorly. I would say 6,4,and 1 are oiling the least. 6 and 1 would seem to be likely culprits as they are at each end of the system and IMO the most likely to have blockages. I also noticed the as the oil slowly leaks out of the tube after shutdown not all of the rockers drip oil. Otherwise the engine runs smooth and quiet, starts easily though it likes to be choked for startup....even when warm. I need to do a compression test next. The plugs look fairly uniform if a bit rich but I would guess that may be because it’s running mostly at idle and low rpm.

It's very common that the rocker arm shaft can be clogged up with sludge and the rocker arm oiling passages get plugged up to. With little or no oiling on some of those I would do a disassembly & good cleaning of the rocker arm assembly or if there are any signs of wear in the shaft or rocker arm bushings while you are running the engine i.e. You will actually see the rocker arms bounce up and down on the shaft pivots on really loose / worn rocker arms. Good luck

How much more oil pressure do you need? The 223 oiling system already is a full oil pressure system and it's the same basic oiling system as what the Y Block V8's have its oil flow is metered for the amount of oil needed by its oil passage sizes. If you wanted more oil presure you would need a higher volume or higher pressure oil pump these are is both possible also the block and head oil passages could be drilled out some for more oil flow volume in most cases this probally isn't nessisary unless maybe if your going to build an all out race car. Full oil pressure oiling is available with the stock system to the rockers arms, coming from passages that are connected from the blocks main oil galley that then goes direct up through a passage to the top of the blocks head surface, next going into and through the head, from there it goes into the rocker arm pedestal and into the rocker arm shaft and from the shaft to each rocker arm valve stems Ect. At one time there was an aftermarket external top end oiling kit made for the Y Blocks these six's however if all the oil passages are clean of any sludge / dirt / Ect then it's unnessisary. The block and head passage can be cleaned easily with a wire or a gun cleaning brush (better) after the rocker assembly is removed. If you don't want to do that than the only other way I know to do it without disassembly is to use a good engine flush such as Justice Brothers this could take severial oil changes to accomplish. Good luck

I pulled the first rocker off the shaft. There is noticeable wear on the bottom of the shaft the width of the rocker bushing. The wear area is split by a ridge where the oil passage is cut into the middle of the rocker bushing. Most of the wear seems to occur on the shaft. While I can catch my fingernail on an edge in the bushing it is not visually much thinner at the bottom. All the wear seems to occur on the bottom surfaces in this system. When I track down my caliper I can measure this. I have struck out in my initial search for a new tube.

Attachments

• CD6A949A-3C81-4FEC-81D6-8F90EE7DA1FC.jpeg
    CD6A949A-3C81-4FEC-81D6-8F90EE7DA1FC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 62AB4574-9FB2-4CBA-B5D0-51A13D6E305D.jpeg
    62AB4574-9FB2-4CBA-B5D0-51A13D6E305D.jpeg
    812.7 KB · Views: 9
63Boxtop.
Would you mind measuring the best you can the distance between the top center of the pushrod to the top center of the valve stem.
Thank You

HI 63Boxtop, your Galixe 223 has the optional zero lash rocker arms. Over time all the shaft type rockers will wear like that on the bottom of the rocker shaft and the bottom of the rocker arm bushing. It's Simplly due to the camshaft lifters action of lifting the push Rod to raise the rocker arm push Rod socket which is pushing against the valve stem and spring these forces are also pushing against the bottom of the rocket arm shaft and the bottom of the rocker arm bushing to, lack of oiling will also accelerate the wear to the shaft and bushings. A new rocker shaft is avaible here, the listing shows it as being for a F100 223 don't worry about that it's still the same part for a car 223 engine you could also ask them if they carry the rocker arm bushings. https://www.ecklers.com/ford-pickup...29-1.html#tab-label-lyonscg_fitment_tab-title
Maybe another possable source of parts is Rocker Arms Unlimted they might sell you the shaft or bushings. I do know that they do have a rocker arm rebuilding service too. http://www.rockerarms.com

Best of luck

Back