223, tire size and diff gearing

A

Anonymous

For those of you with a 223 in a truck, what differential gearing and tire size do you run?

I just replaced my rear end and am waiting for a shortened driveshaft to come in to run with it. In the past i'v run 32 inch tires and had 4.11 gears. The new rear end was supposed to run 4.10, so with the new wheels i went to 33.5" tires - to drop my running rpm by a couple hundred.

Last night i was cleaning the rear end to paint it, and discovered the ID plate i somehow overlooked before.. and I'll be running 3.54:1, not 4.10's.

Am I going to be short on power with a 223 running 33" tires?

-Cal

my 64 f350 has 5.13:1 gearing in rear end with a 223 and it sure feels strong enuf to me , if anything id rather some lower gears but dunno where to find em for it

Yes, you will be short on power. My recomendation is to run a 28 to 29 in tall tire (like a 235/75 R15). I know it doesn't look "Macho", but man they drive better!

Its not a macho thing, persay. This truck is 4x4, and laden down with tolls and tow equipment, and I use it for recovery in the desert (people think i am crazy, running a truck older than dirt i dirt - but thats what its for!). I can regear both differentials for only a few hundred dollars - but I'm trying to get a feel for what other people are running. The 4.11's I had before always felt too low.

I think i'll probably just regear the rear only 3.73 and run it for a week or two. If its two low, i'll redo them both again to 4.10.

Weee. I hate trial and error work.

cal":3lykgpxh said:
Am I going to be short on power with a 223 running 33" tires?

-Cal

You might ... my '60 has a 3:70 rear and my tires are approximately 23". It has decent power, but 3:54 with 33" tires could very well be sluggish.

Yes. Yes it is very sluggish.

But, i have a granny first I get to use for the first time ever. Once i get into third its ok, i can cruze at 70 now without tearing my engine apart, and i'm getting 26mpg highway. I have another vehicle that i drive daily, so its not so bad.

I will eventually regear to 4.10, or 4.56 and get an overdrive transmission (the long term plan is to tow) but its not so horrid now that its not unbearable.

Of course, my 223 is not very stock either. Its not built like some of the peeps here have, but its not very stock. :)

Cal, I just looked at the pictures of your truck. You sure made it look good, especially considering the before pictures. Where did you find a 4X4 unibody pickup? I thought Ford did not make these because problems with body cracking between the cab and bed.

They are pretty rare yeah. For a long time I thought it was an aftermarket conversion, but I tracked down the original dealership (would you believe it had the original license plate bracket...)

Since, I have found 4 other 62 F100 4x4 uni's around.. one even local, although it was in pretty bad shape. From what I was able to gather, they were made for the department of foresty, although I would swear mine never saw a days work.

I'm in the middle of converting it to newer tech now, as the front axle is getting pretty bad, its hard to keep it strait on the road. Running axles from a '79 F250 4x4, when I get that done (rear's on, fronts sitting in front of it) I am thinking either going with a fuel injected 351w from a late 80's F250, or a 7.2 turbodiesel from a mid 90's F250.

Then comes the debate.. NV4500 5 speed, or wide ratio c6..

Thats why I havent regeared my truck down to something reasonable yet.. The 5 speed is an overdrive, and I will gear lower with it. With the C6 i'll gear higher and let the torque converter make up the difference..

Thanks. The trucks been alot of work, and she's seen 9 girlfriends come and go. :)

-Cal

yeah, but there is a big difference between 7x15 car tires and 33x12.50 truck tires ;)

It gets good milage with the 3.50's, but there is noooo power.

Its looking like i'm gonna tear the 223 out, gear back to 4.11, and run a 351w EFI with an nv4500 5 speed overdrive.. ;)

While I understand that (and i have the full clifford header/intake set sitting here..) I need to be towing laaaarge loads long distances, and I really need the power.

Well you also need to purchase the Performance Cam they offer, Port & Polish the Head, do a 4 Angle Grind on the Valve Seats, Harden those seats, Install Over Sized Swirl Pattern S.S. Valves, Install High Lift Performance Rocker Arms, etc.

Just so you don't get the idea that the 223 I-6 isn't already a goer.
My family towed a 40ft. fully loaded trailer w/ one behind a '60 Ranch-Wagon & Never had to worry about power over long distances.
They also towed a 2 up Horse Trailer w/ a '61 F-100 w/ a Camper in the bed, it had a 223 I-6 also traveling over long distances & Both were stock engines.

Cal

My '58 M-100 is a 1/2 Ton TRUCK, sold in Canada from '46-'68 & those 7.00x15s are Light Truck Tires.
Please do not Assume things, ask if you have a question.

cal":y8rtvq1o said:
yeah, but there is a big difference between 7x15 car tires and 33x12.50 truck tires ;)

It gets good milage with the 3.50's, but there is noooo power.

Its looking like i'm gonna tear the 223 out, gear back to 4.11, and run a 351w EFI with an nv4500 5 speed overdrive.. ;)

My 223 already has valves ground at 3 angle (theres no reason to go more than 3), hardened seats, valves, ported and polished on the stock manifold with a bored holly 1bbl, and an aftermarket cam, and an electronic ignition.

I'm looking at a full size camper in the bed, with a tandom axle trailer hauling a jeep and a land rover.

I wasnt making any assumptions. I was simply stating that after 15 years of hauling with the 223, I'm ready to move on to ported injection, hydrolic lifters, power, milage, and a cleaner burn. My other consideration right now is the 7.2L turbodiesel from the newer F250/F350's.

When I get that done (it will probably be next year before i do it - time and money..) i'll post my 223/t98 for sale here, cheap to an owner who will appriciate it. Its got about 35k miles on it.

Wee. Off to find food now.

That's nice to see you partially got through the conversion & then Blew it by Not installing the Three things that would have Given you the Power increase you were seeking. :shock:
The Performance Intake w/ an 1850 Holley 4 Bbl. Carb. & Header! :oops:
That's when you would have Really noticed an Improvement in Power. :roll:

You have your oppinion about grinds & I'll stick w/ the proven facts of Perfomance Engine Builder, Don Johnson's, who's been building Perfomance Engines for over 45 years for NAS Car, Dragsters & the like. :p

And yes you did Assume, You assumed that my M-100 was a CAR & not a TRUCK.
"yeah, but there is a big difference between 7x15 car tires and 33x12.50 truck tires" :roll:

As for your Full Size Camper, the Camper on my Parents '61 F-100 was as well & their F-100 pulled a 3500lb Two Horse Trailer w/ Two 1500lb Horses w/o a problem w/ the 223. :p

So go have fun w/ your new fangled 'puter run toy & enjoy. ;)

cal":5ykcrv89 said:
I'm looking at a full size camper in the bed, with a tandom axle trailer hauling a jeep and a land rover........ I was simply stating that after 15 years of hauling with the 223, I'm ready to move on......

If he's planning to pull nearly 15,000 lbs gross I reckon it's time to move on alright ;) Sounds to me like a wise choice made from years of experience.
Joe

.. You'll stick with the tested opinions of Don Johnson. :)

I've been working with performance engines since I was 12 years old. Of course, most car buffs have, though. My father has been building HO engines longer than I have been alive (I'm in my 30's now..).. He used to build them for Tom McMullan (owner of McMullan publishing, read: hotrod magazine, untill his death) as well as development work for several stock car development teams, the Jonson family (if you dont know, its not worth explaining), and some work with the Unser's.

Every expert has the 'best' way. Theres always someone else with a better way.

This is the last time I'm dealing with this forum. I used to find good information here, and people who enjoyed sharing it. These days all i find is arguments and assholes.

I'm bowing out of this thread, and fordsix.com entirly. Have fun with your attitude.

-Cal

Colonel Flashman":2aesp7wp said:
Well you also need to purchase the Performance Cam they offer, Port & Polish the Head, do a 4 Angle Grind on the Valve Seats, Harden those seats, Install Over Sized Swirl Pattern S.S. Valves, Install High Lift Performance Rocker Arms, etc.

Just so you don't get the idea that the 223 I-6 isn't already a goer.
My family towed a 40ft. fully loaded trailer w/ one behind a '60 Ranch-Wagon & Never had to worry about power over long distances.
They also towed a 2 up Horse Trailer w/ a '61 F-100 w/ a Camper in the bed, it had a 223 I-6 also traveling over long distances & Both were stock engines.

My 300 doesn't pull 19,000 lb quite as well as I would like. Reckon maybe it's time to upgrade to a 223 :roll:
Joe

Back