All Small Six 250 vs 200 for a daily driver in Bronco

This relates to all small sixes
"...3) Electronic automatic= $650+ for the stand-alone controller. AOD = TV cable mock-up, and it has to be right. 4) In town application, rarely over 65 mph- keep the original 3 speed, or C4.
Peace...."
I'm wid ya there Frank !
Want the Aod in my 3.8 bent6 fox wagon (has C4 or 5).
It's a tqie lill guy like the 4.1 in the bronk.

I am not seeing much info on mating up the 4r70W to the 250. I know that it will bolt up to each other but other than that what all other parts an pieces will I have to find? I came across a good 4r70W out of a 5.0 4x4 explorer that can be bought for a good price.

4r70W that can be bought for a good price.
Requires a throttle position sensor and electronic controller. . To convert my E4od to stand alone controller from Baumann = $800. . . just a friendly reminder.

$600/650 on another

Requires a throttle position sensor and electronic controller. . To convert my E4od to stand alone controller from Baumann = $800. . . just a friendly reminder.
yup I know about that chunk of change. That is certainly a big part of the equation.

"...what about the torque converter?..."
what about it?
Providing more complete Qs allows more detailed answrs.

"...a good 4r70W out of a 5.0 4x4 explorer..."
nice transmis. U must remove the 4WD parts, bring along the electronic parts.
I would have to see the two systems as I do not know how to do this swap-in, U
should have seen the look on my face after agreeing to do a clutch ona frnt wheel
drive transaxle Honda and seeing one for the 1st time from top'n underneath. It stayed
on the lift idle for an hr B4 I started the job.

Ok to do the 4R70W Trans Swap and bolt it up to any Ford 250, 240 or 300 / 4.9 Six here is your parts list

You will need that complete 4R70W Transmission out of the 5.0 4 X 4 Ford Explorer, with its Torque Convertor, its Block Spacer Plate, plus its Starter. Also get all the Bolts that hold it to the back of the Block, the Flex Plate to Crankshaft Mounting Bolts and Reinforcement Ring, The bolts from spacer Plate to the bottom of Bell Housing, The Torque Convertor Bolts or Stud Nuts or you can buy them new. Get the Cross Member and its Mounting Bolts, The Trans Mount and its Bolts, plus the Transmissions Wiring Harness, Shifter if you like it and all the Rods, get the Driveshaft Yokes or the complete Driveshafts. You will also need a Zero Balance 164 Tooth Flex Plate to bolt the Torque Convertor to the 250, 240, 300 or 4.9 Six, one like this that is used on the 1987 to 1991 Ford 4.9 Six with an E4OD Trans. https://www.ebay.com/itm/394146622687
And last is the above mentioned stand alone Shift Controller. There are some other optional parts that could be added to this list, like a SKU: AODE-HD2 TransGo Shift Improver Kit, an Aux, Transmission Cooler.

On the install after bolting up the 4R70W Trans to your 250 Six, the Driveshafts will likely need to redone / cut to fit (I.E. Lengthened or Shortened as needed to fit in the Chassis) The new Trans Crossmember will also need to be moved back some in new side mount locations to adapt the Crossmember into the Bronco Chassis will depend on how much difference there is in the lengths of the New and the Old Transmission's. A Shifter will need to be installed to fit too. Best of luck on your trans swap

Your very welcome jba6555, are you going to go for that 4R70W Trans combo?

yes, nuttin like complete parts lists pre instals/swaps.
Dont 4get the transmis fluid then 8^0

(Just 4 fun here's an article I saw/archived 6, 7 yrs ago)

I am leaning that way, but havent made up my mind for sure yet. My 250 came with a c4 behind it but it is a case fill model which people seem to think is to weak to have the torque of a transfer case behind that.

If I understand correctly the c4 is longer than the 3speed that came with the six cylinders, so whether I go with a c4 or a 4r70w I will be reworking crossmembers and possibly driveshaft lengths as well. At times I contemplate a 5 speed swap, but my dad is adamant that I am approaching the age where running a clutch regularly gets old quick.

unless I find a bronco c4, I will be spending money with advanced adapters no matter what transmission I go for.

At times I contemplate a 5 speed swap, but my dad is adamant that I am approaching the age where running a clutch regularly gets old quick.
I'll second your dad's sentiment 100% lol. . Thanks for the posts, keep us in the loop.

Application is the whole thing in any build.
What is the vehicle to be used for.
St? any 5 speed auto I'd say (mix of stop'n go traffic'n open rd).
St/strip, DD, 2 lane blk top, true multi, 100% Off rd...

Yes the case fill IS a lill weaker but again - application determines.
Bronk, like - stang has so many 'typical vendors' U can have either.

Only 2 pts on it (C4): least parasitic of the autos, lotsa aftr mrkt support.
4r70w is getting there now too. Was the bronk the only pan fill @ the time?
There is something completely different bout the bronk specific C4, however
U can put any C4 ona bronk, U may need some skill to pass an exhaust system by
some models tho~

Last edited:
Application is the whole thing in any build.
What is the vehicle to be used for.
St? any 5 speed auto I'd say (mix of stop'n go traffic'n open rd).
St/strip, DD, 2 lane blk top, true multi, 100% Off rd...

It is not going to be a trail rig. This is a drive around town, go on 200-mile hunting trips vehicle. I do not envision running tires larger than 33's. it has stock 6 cylinder axle ratios.

411s w/33s? May B 4 that use - up the rear to 3.55?
May B that's Y the 4r70w? Will the 200 take the 33s?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back