'48 vs. '49 H series distributor

48fordor

Is there any difference between the distributor used in the '48 H series flathead six and the distributor from the '49? My parts books show it as the same part number but I often see the distributor listed as '49 and later.

I've never seen a '48 distributor out of the engine - is it spline drive or is there a gear on the end of the shaft like "modern" distributors? The drawings I've seen make it look like the oil pump has the drive gear and the distributor shaft fits into that assembly.

OK, so I'm new at this.

Thanks,

Ed

All H distributors are the same. The confusion about years is because for switched from the G six to the H six a year before they switched from the 59A vee-eight to the 8BA vee-eight, and all vee-eight parts books switch at '49. People assume that the sixes switched with the eights, but it ain't necessarily so.

48fordor":mf8pltki said:
Is there any difference between the distributor used in the '48 H series flathead six and the distributor from the '49? My parts books show it as the same part number but I often see the distributor listed as '49 and later.

I've never seen a '48 distributor out of the engine - is it spline drive or is there a gear on the end of the shaft like "modern" distributors? The drawings I've seen make it look like the oil pump has the drive gear and the distributor shaft fits into that assembly.

OK, so I'm new at this.

Thanks,

Ed

If your looking for a rebuilt unit let me know, there is a guy in Portland that has one. I saw it at a swapmeet today.

Back