79 fairmont wagon inline 6 rebuild

A

Anonymous

Hi i am rebuilbing my 200 and i need some 141ci flat top pistons. I cant find them anywhere :devilish:

scrapin;
Can't help with the pistons, but have the same ride you do.

Love this wagon! When you do the rebuild, check that CR carefully. Mine ended up at 7.6:1 because the 3.3L engines have LOTS of deck height and aftermarket head gaskets are too thick. Lost lots of high-end power (aka HP) and am planning a head pull and rework this Spring to fix it back up.

I just rebuilt the C4 tranny, too - it puts lots more power on the ground as a result - I didn't think it was bad until AFTER the rebuild! ;)

scrapin79":1vcf3rd2 said:
Hi i am rebuilbing my 200 and i need some 141ci flat top pistons. I cant find them anywhere :devilish:

Junk yard. There are (and were) a ton of Tempo's & Topaz's on the road.

8)

If you are wanting flattop pistons for a 200 you will get less confused looks if you refer to them as 2.3L HSC pistons. Any auto parts store should be able to order them. Most wont stock them.

Anlushac11":32tu7hhb said:
8)

If you are wanting flattop pistons for a 200 you will get less confused looks if you refer to them as 2.3L HSC pistons. Any auto parts store should be able to order them. Most wont stock them.

I think AutoZone carries them for like $17 a piston. But ya gotta order them.

Howdy Scrapin79:

I've got to ask, what is your reasoning for using the HSC flat-topped pistons?

Adios, David

CZLN6":3ru5ezv2 said:
Howdy Scrapin79:

I've got to ask, what is your reasoning for using the HSC flat-topped pistons?

Adios, David

I think it has something to do with raising compression in the cylinders.

Hey thanks the info mark now i need to do some math because i need to get a 9.1 cr and i need to get a 2500 stall converter for the old C4. Im installing the isky 280 cam and 2 barrel holley/weber. If anyone has info i may find useful on my rebuild feel free to let me know. Thanks for all your help ;)

Does anyone know where i can find a engine bolt kit for a 79 inline 6 200?
Damn rusty bolts!!! :devilish:

Howdy back Scrapin79 and All:

The reason I ask is that if you're doing a complete rebuild you'd be wise to consider decking the top of the block to zero deck height and using a small dish 200/250 replacement piston. Then mill the head to achieve your CR goal. Even with the thicker aftermarket composite replacement head gasket, a 9.1:1 goal should be easily reached.

The standard, small dish, replacement 200/250 pistons are cheaper and the dish actually makes slightly more power, all else being equal, then a flat-topped piston.

If you want to try some different figures, click on my signature at the bottom of this post to go to our website. Choose the "Compression Calculator on the left , insert your own numbers and play away.

Adios, David

8)

Too bad you are so far north. There is a place east of Indianapolis called Nuts and Bolts of Hnacock County. It is on US40 about halfway to Plainfield. If they dont carry it they can order it.

I havent used them for 4cyl or 8cyl parts but back when I was heavy into 67-70 Cougars I used to walk in with a bolt and they had it. I wound up using Grade 8 allen head bolts on everything but rods.

Problem is Ft Wayne it would take IIRC about 2.5hrs to get to Indy then 1/2 hr to get t bolt place.

I would offer to get them for you and mail them but I currently am without a car so travelling even to get groceries is a chore.

no, don't go to that site listed right above this post, it is a scam...

don't worry, i dont think that i can catch up to the 1000298 of yours

Back