a week before the Falcon nats, it starts acting up–UGH!

Well, the only test I did this weekend on it was remove the plugs. All looked really nice except the 6th, it was crusty, rusty, etc. I took it down the street and the mechanic confirmed it showed signs of water. I dropped the car off this morning. I'll let you know what happens next.

If you dropped the car off at a mechanic, I can tell you what happens next.

Groans of pain as the mechanic bends you over and milk's you for all you've got.

A headgasket is a piece of cake on these things man... It's a 2 hour job Max.

It is simple, I know. The mechanic is a guy I always use for big stuff and I trust him. He never has overcharged me or performed work that he shouldn't have. I was so busy prepping the car for next week's show, I didn't want to deal with the head problem too. To say the least, I'm really overwhelmed. I self imposed this show deadline on me and every moment I'm not working on it, I feel guilty. I'll be glad when it's over.
As it turns out, I'll be lucky just to get the car to the show let alone have it completed. I still haven't any of my interior. The shop is over a week late and there isn't anything I can really do about it. I even had to drive the car to the mechanic sitting on a lawn chair. :(

lawn chair! now what are you going to sit on in the back yard? ;)

LaGrasta":47jx2ho5 said:
The shop is over a week late and there isn't anything I can really do about it. I even had to drive the car to the mechanic sitting on a lawn chair. :(

Spoke to the mechanic yesterday after work. Car might be done today or Thursday. They are completely rebuilding my head. He said two valves were shot. He also saw no water leaks until he did a pressure test. The water pump had a small one. I'm not sure if this is what caused the head to blow the gasket or not as I never saw the car over heat. Mabye a little, but nothing that caused me concern.
I'm dissapointed rebuilding my 170 head. I swore I'd never do that, but instead go with an Aussie upgrade or a later model (i.e. 1978). The CI head would be sweet, but no money for that. Unfortunetly, I need to get this back on the road so a quick one day rebuild is all I'm getting. :(

is your upholstery even going to be ready for the show? if not, why bother being in a rush to get the engine back together. it seems a pity to not update the head while it's off. if it were my decision i would skip the show and do the engine right. just my 2 cents.

Sorry Michael, I have to agree with LaGrasta. It sucks when your daily driver is down.
I hope to see you both at the Falcon show this Sat. Michael gave my dad LaGrasta's cell phone number, hopefully that's ok, and we can meet up.
Jett.

He got it off the wall at a pizza joint in Newport. "For a good timing, call..."

Dude, WEAK Anthony. I totally have a rebuilt '78 head sitting on my work bench, hardened seats, all the work done, a head gasket, and a fully rebuilt 200 if you wanted to buy that off me (was going to go into my 'chero before I lost it). But umm... I would'a given you that head! I am just gonna shave it for my 2 barrel later anyways!

MIKE, NO! I would have went for the 200. I still may, who knows. This whole mess got me thinking, it might not be a bad idea to have a fresh set-up waiting in the wings. I got caught up trying to get this done for the show and made hasty decisions. As it turns out, it won't be done for the show anyway. :cry:

I'll be there, but not with my car. (cell 949-293-5223).

Dang, daily driver too :(.

Thats the status my falcon has been updated too, i love driving it, sure i miss my radio, but it makes up for it that i'm driving a 43 year old car. Of course all the plans i had to upgrade it (better tranny, new springs, new rear end, disc brakes) get put on hold while its my DD. I have to time things out more then price them out, cause i can't have it down for more then one day (between school and work i never have a day off).

Well at least you're not putting tons of money into rebuilding the head, and you can probably find a 200 for cheap and work on either getting it in running shape or rebuilding it. Then when something goes wrong, or if you line up a weekend, you can pull out the 170, and gain 30 cubes and three more main bearings.

Eh enough of my thoughts, good luck with getting everything togethor :).

I got my car back last night... $944.
Complete head rebuild & new water pump. I'm sick to my stomach. :cry:

Salt in the wallet wound is Wilhelmus has a head I could have had for free. That alone would have saved me $200 in machine work and about $150 in parts (guides, etc.)

Shit, for 944$ you are most of the way to the AL Head.

And plenty of people on this board would have come over and helped you swap it all on.

Yeah man you coulda dropped it off at my house on a saturday morning and had it back saturday night with a higher flowin' head and a nice little tune up. =) I'm sorry I didn't get to it sooner bro!

Cinderblocks, sand and cement powder are pretty cheap. Framing timber and shingles are, too.

There is a point where it's simply easier to hand over work to someone else and get on with earning, to pay the cost of having it done right and backed by a professional warranty.

Hey,other things went in to your decision.

you've got the car and you can drive it to work monday.

there are a lot of people paying that for two months payments on their car.

Now you can take your time planning your 200 8)

That's exactly my reasoning GroceryGetter. The overall cost was about two month's new car payments and I did drive it to work this morning without a hitch. CI's head or Wilhelmis' head would have been ideal, but my situation wasn't unfortunetly.
Mike, I will hook up with you soon and and talk about getting your 200 block and what not. I'm not sure I want to do that, but probably should. Thanks for the post and the phone call, I really appreciate it. We'll talk soon. I need the dust to settle first. :(

Back