Adjustable timing set for 250?

I have two old US250 timing sets and the new one that came with the rebuild kit, and all the crank gears count 21 teeth. The new gear is not needed as far as I can see.

it shouldn't cost that much to broach a gear!!!

is that having a shop make a specality broach for it (there is a broach shop local to me)

all you need is a plate to locate the gear and a rod turned to pass through the gear. a slot is milled in the rod and the broach tooth is placed in it. being it is a standard SAE keyway I can't see this being a big deal.

the shop local to me mostly makes splined broaches for things like axles and such. I could talk to them about broaching gears if you want (they do low quantity runs) but I don't think it should run as high as $5k for them.

Nick, I think that postulated sum is not for broaching, but a whole new billeted timing set.

AzCoupe":3lsqmxnx said:
We've been trying to get a chain set for a couple years. But I really put the pressure on them the last time we talked. They promised they would get on it, so we will see. ;)

Any word yet on a timing set for a 250? You can count me in on a set.

I got around to dialing in a cam and from what I can tell it's 108* lobe center angle w/ 4* retard and I would like to get it straight up if I can.

I'm still waiting on the "sample" to arrive this end. From there, it'll be interesting to see what's offered.

Yes.

I will not publish the 'recipe' until I've checked that it actually works. The last of the three parts will be here in two weeks...then I'll figure it out. It's going to be a double roller, and one of the parts is going to need some machining. The other two: stock Ford...

Meanwhile, it is easy to make your stock set adjustable. IF the crank gear is not hardened and thus can be easily machined, just have a few slots done to it at the shop which has the right machinery with a degree table. If the crank gear is hardened like in a Powrgear brand set I have, just do it on the cam gear. Seems like it is safe to do two slots on the cam gear (you'll figure out where), just bear in mind that it rotates at half speed and a degree there is two degrees at the crank.

Another no-need-to-machine-anything method is to use offset keys at the crankshaft.

Second time lucky? :unsure:

After the first intended manufacturer proved unable to meet requirements (mainly speed) I am dealing with "JP Performance". They'll have a sample within the week, and seem genuinely keen to move on this project.

JPP already make the multi-keyway timing sets for US 200s, and have a good production pedigree. Distribution of the product will probably be through an exclusive agent. ;) Due to comparatively low demand prices will be notably higher than the adjustable 200 set, but still simpler and better than buying other gears and remachining.

When more details are to hand (price/timing), we'll start a new thread.

Regards, Adam.

Comp Cams or Crane Cams, makes 1 for the 250 I think, I know they make 1 for the 200. single roller, -4* str8 up +4* that is like $40 from Summit

If they made one for the 250 other than stock replacement, I wouldn't be going through this exercise. ;)

addo":107lterm said:
If they made one for the 250 other than stock replacement, I wouldn't be going through this exercise. ;)
I found the 1 for 200 looking thru Summit's website, looked decent, I still went with Mike's chain, even if I did pay $60 more, I got a higher quality peice. I looked thru Summit to find 1 for the 250 but didn't find 1. I did find however, Lunati actully now makes a Small 6 cam, so maby they'll come out with more grinds. the 1 they have now is a 248/248, good for a stock engine.

I strongly suspect all the billeted 9-keyway double roller timing sets are either Australian or Chinese sprockets and German chain. Even the ones sold under brands like Comp Cams. Cloyes say theirs are US made, but they look remarkably similar to the ones that aren't...

The one we're working on presently, should also have the chain available as a service part.

:) US, of course! Mike's fully informed. ;)

JPP should have the sample today - I'll be talking with them over the next week when they've measured and checked stuff out. So far, they've had a great attitude.

Minimum order is the "aargh" bit - probably 50-100 sets, and I've just committed $3K for prototyping the new 200/T5 bellhousings. :shock:

Does10s":3dzhgytq said:
Addo,
Will those 250 chains be for the US 250 or the Aussie 250?

If for the US, I'll take 5!

Will

I am not following something here, do the OZ 250 and US 250 have different timing gear??

If you have a quality double roller timing chain for the OZ250 I will buy atleast one for sure.

Gazz - they are different. Just buy the existing one made by either Rollmaster (Romac) or JP Performance.

ok thanks , didnt realise they were different , I'll go with the Rollmaster.

Back