Alternator Amps

A

Anonymous

I was wondering if there could be any problems of running a high amp alternator. Is there such a thing as running one too big? I've seen the 65 amp and 100 amp alernators. My car has no A/C, manual everything. The only thing I installed was an aftermarket radio (and soon to be 200 watt amplifier) and halogan headlights.

Also, where can I get an alternator bracket for a 200? All I see are ones for a 289+?

which hallogen lights did you get? does it make a differnce? Can we get those blue-ish white ones?

No problem, I am running a 100amp alternator on mine...

The cool thing about alternators is you can not really have too much, just too little...

If you install a 100amp, your sytem will only draw what it needs, the excess is just more head room...

If you are running too little and pull on it with a stereo and other goodies you will have trouble....

I love mine, things are brighter and more stable since I installed the single wire alternator....

Jimbo: That's great to hear. Thanks for the info. Maybe those nifty chrome alts will suit me well...

Chaz: I got a Xenon conversion kit about a year back. I tried to put them on once before, but it was much dimmer than stock without a relay switch and a more powerful alternator. I believe the relay switch alone will make them brighter, the larger amp alt will just help it along.

There's a site that explains how to install the relay switch, but I still have problems trying to follow the directions:

http://pwp.clearsource.net/dsigns/james/headlights.htm

I dunno. I think I like the 'Step 1', 'Step 2' type directions...

After I posted my topic I read yall's. I guess a bigger or larger amp alt will be a step in the right direction. ..ZZ

Back