Aluminum Head Update 7/13/06 (flow #s, specs, and pics)

The head we flow tested yesterday, is now on a plane bound for Mesa. So I should get it before I leave for Indy next Wed. I knew suitcases were good for something other than clothes. :LOL:

As for aluminum vs cast iron, here they are.

Aluminum first, then the cast.

Intake
100=52 vs 63
200=99 vs 101
300=143 vs 133
400=180 vs 155
500=201 vs 156
600=210 vs 156

Exhaust
100=40 vs 36
200=79 vs 68
300=111 vs 91
400=144 vs 98
500=160 vs 103
600=164 vs 105

Here's a couple pics. 8) 8) 8)

numbers shumbers...the onoy reason I am still here is to see one of these package kits in a car...

(not the only reason)

congrats mike

Nice work. It's nice to hear everyone so happy and appreciative of such a long effort. And fruitful one too. I'm anxious to get it on someone's car to see HP. Anyone guessing on that?

Mike, great flow numbers.

With #'s like that you better get with George at Clay Smith cams & get some grinds with a higher lift to take advantage of the extra flow at high lifts.

How much higher is the rail the valve cover bolts to on the head??

Great job, I will be anxious to see the results on the dyno or drag strip.

Mike, i was looking at the flow #'s compared to the #'s on my 300 head with 1.94 & 1.60 valves and all the work.Well the new sb6 is only about 20 cfm less in the .300 -.600 lift range.

Mike-
I think I asked you this before, but I can't remember. Will the Yella Terra roller rockers fit on the new head?
-Joey

Will the Yella Terra roller rockers fit on the new head?

Yes, they will use the same rockers assemblies, stock, roller tipped, or full roller. As well as the stock valve cover or the new alloy cover. Stock exhaust or your existing headers, even a stock OZ 2V intake. We did this to keep the end cost down, rather than designing them to use all new parts. This is also why this was such an daunting task for the design engineer and pattern makers. Keep it stock, but get the performance. The amazing thing is, they did it.

How much higher is the rail the valve cover bolts to on the head??

While I'm not totally sure, I think its only a quarter inch, maybe three eights. Just enough to keep the v/c rim above the stud nut on the intake side, which was raised the clear the new ports. With a little polishing in the ports, these may just hit 215cfm, or more. Another interesting note, when we were at PRI last December, we met Joe Mondello. We explained what we were doing, and he told us he thought was pretty cool. Then he invited us to visit him and offered to personally work on the head, just to see how much more he could squeeze out of them. ;)

That thing is gonna look good once i get it polished and sitting on top of a powder coated block.

So what was the outcome of the intake poll? are you gonna make a 4v intake? cause if you do, you can put one of the holley commander fuel injection systems on it. just thought i would throw that in there since nobody else mentioned that. and blow through the throttle body from a turbo!!!! thats what im gonna do.

Is anybody working on some stronger rods? we might need some now with that new head.

Could we get somebody to cnc a maingirdle?

So what was the outcome of the intake poll? are you gonna make a 4v intake?
The 4V got the most votes, so that is the one we are doing first. We are also working on the 2V, since it was a close second.

cause if you do, you can put one of the holley commander fuel injection systems on it. just thought i would throw that in there since nobody else mentioned that. and blow through the throttle body from a turbo!!!!
You mean something like this?

Is anybody working on some stronger rods?
We have been talking with several companies about manufacturing stronger rods, but not much progress yet. I will work on it more when we go to SEMA and PRI later this year.

Could we get somebody to cnc a maingirdle?
We have talked about it, but that's about all at this point.

so mike now that you have conqured heads and soon intakes will we be seeing a classic inlines block soon? 250 based with all bell patterns on it but will accept a xflow head? maybe one with beefier mains (4 bolt) and bigger head studs. a tall deck 200 would be pretty cool....nice long rods with a short stroke.....or maybe thicker walls for a bigger bore (2.3L ohc pistons)

Yea that looks good. the holly kit I was talking about they sell in jegs has the injectors built into the throttle body. the come in 4 different models

650cfm 45lb injectors 150-300hp part# 510-950-23s
700cfm 65lb injectors 250-440hp part# 510-950-22s
900cfm 75lb injectors 375-500hp part# 510-950-24s
900cfm 85lb injectors 450-575hp part# 510-950-21s

they come with everything, including software to tune it with via laptop.

Turbo_fairlane, last year at PRI we came across a company that was making CNC'd aluminum blocks what got my attention was I saw a straight six block :shock: unfortunately it was for a cummins diesel.But they said they could do any block,Start up fee was around $25,000.00 But they look awesome.

The foundry that does CHI heads runs a few alloy blocks. The best known is the Big Healey unit. Price finished IIRC is AUD$16K. That's about $12000 US dollars. :shock:

Back