Aluminum Head Update 7/13/06 (flow #s, specs, and pics)

8)

Wow...those flow numbers were compared to a stock 250-2v!

IIRC didnt Mustangaroo go from 67rwhp to 105rwhp just by bolting on the Oz head?

True we would need the mods to take advantage of the heads better flow but there must be a heap of hp waiting to be unleashed.

I have seen the photos of them making that Healy block. It looks sand cast and hand made, no wonder its so expensive, but it is a thing of pure beauty.

Well if we cant get a aluminum I6 block here's hoping for a 300cid I6 small block! :eek:

You realize you have us 300'ers salivating worse than we were :LOL: I've already got a stack of quarters my height ready to go in the mail for one of the first 300 heads :)

Mike,

This makes me hope my wife can finish up law school even sooner so I can afford to go out, buy a I6 fastback, and put a "Built by Mike" complete engine/head racing long block in it.

Slade

Slade,

Take it from a guy with a wife that is an attorney. Once they graduate law school and pass the bar, then you have to pay off all the loans.

I expect my budget to improve around 2026...

Mike or anyone know if this intake will fit with air conditioning system installed. I have a sanden compressor installed on the orignal 1966 ford bracket for the six cylinder. It is alot smaller than the orignal. (also less weight and alot less horse power to operate). Also the carb linkage. Mike said they are designing the new intake for the 4 bbl and the 2 bbl for now. Does anybody or Mike have a good Idea how the carb linkage is set up and what carbs would fit the 2 bbl and 4 bbl. I have a weber 2 bbl 38/38 that I had to design linkage to fit the orignal throttle arm. I'm just curious about what carb will work on the intake.
Just a couple of questions
Dave

AzCoupe":37dxzcf9 said:
Chamber size gives some challenge to 250 builders. Suggestions?

Not really. With a little more meat left on the face, it will have a 57/58cc chamber. Remember, this head should support 11:1 CR's without detonation due to the new chamber design.

On a 250 with zero deck done with decking and 255cid vee-eight pistons (1.5cc valve reliefs), .060 overbore, .045 gasket it gets

11.36 with 58cc
11.52 with 57cc
11.84 with 55cc

CONGRATS!! Nice to see the finished product!

It actually looks beefier than the Aluminum SP head.

I got to actually hold it and look at it yesterday in Indy! 8) 8) 8)

You can pick it up with one hand and hold it comfortably....try that with a log head! :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Later,

Doug

i can't wait to see what that thing does on the dyno..

what about efficiency, the mpg shouldn't go down much, and maybe go up depending on build, with the increased flow and effiecency, yes? maybe that should be tested if time allows as well..

The company designing the manifolds has completed the 4V intake. We are picking it up tomorrow and taking it to the pattern maker so he can start making the patterns. I'm not sure how long this will take, as it depends on his existing backlog of work. But once he gets started, it should only take a couple of weeks. Then we still need match plates before the casting can be produced. Basically, what I'm saying, is that we are hoping the intakes will be done roughly about the same time the first batch of heads arrive in October. Maybe sooner? ;)

AzCoupe":1zpnnmtl said:
Basically, what I'm saying, is that we are hoping the intakes will be done roughly about the same time the first batch of heads arrive in October. Maybe sooner? ;)

I foresee you selling all of your first batch to those of us who want "winter projects/early christmas gifts" :D

Funky Cricket":1p3csl4k said:
what about efficiency, the mpg shouldn't go down much, and maybe go up depending on build,

A increase in static compression would help mileage and power.

Aluminum headed engines can handle higher compression/lower octane than iron headed engines.

yah, but dropping a 500 cfm holley with the 4v intake and lopey cam.. mpg will not go up!

but a nice 2 barrel, maybe 300 cfm with the stock cam and mild tune, with the increased compression, should see a bit higher mpg.. would be interesting to see the difference with the current price of gas.

these heads should also be fairly e85 compatible with the higher compression as well with the right tune.

I think Holley still makes the 390 4 bbl, I really can't see needing anything bigger if you see regular street use.

If you race it I think there are some small double pumpers around 450

That head looks like a nice piece of work

I am interested to know why anyone would go to the trouble of casting up a head from scratch and not make it a crossflow though?

To give some more interesting info to help put those results in perspective I have the flow figures for my Ported Aussie Crossflow Alloy head below.

0.050 30.2 24.8
0.100 62.5 52.0
0.150 97.7 87.8
0.200 132.6 98.0
0.250 165.9 113.0
0.300 188.1 129.5
0.350 206.5 140.5
0.400 219.7 148.0
0.450 231.1 152.9
0.500 238.8 156.6
0.550 220.0 159.0

This was flowed at 28" runs a 1.84" inlet and a 1.55" eaxhaust. Was flowed on a 3.7" bore and discharged through a 1 5/8" pipe when flowing the exhaust port.

Back