All Small Six ...and yet, another Weber Q?

This relates to all small sixes

wakjob

Supporter 2020
How do you give a Weber Carburetor more idle air...without drilling holes in the throttle plates?

Smaller mains with larger air correctors? (my guess)

OK...answered my own question...NOPE!

I tried air correctors from 170's all the way up to whatever the inside diameter of the F50 emulsion tube is...yeah...that big.
There's just no way to get more air into the engine on a Weber at idle other than drilling the throttle plates.

Big cam/large free flowing exhaust...won't idle with the plates closed as per the Weber instructions?...
Drill baby drill...
;)

If not, on my 38/38, I had 40 degrees initial and 2-1/2 to 3 turns in on the "not idle speed screw".
The plates were way open. You could hear the engine sucking/hissing through the carb big time.
PLUS!...I had the two idle "mixture" screws completely shut closed.
Don't need the idle circuit if the plates are open that much.
Sad thing is, it actually runs an drives OK with good plug color and everything. (170 a/c & 145 mains/idle screws closed)

2nd & 3rd gear pulls weren't as impressive as before with proper (more reasonable) timing of 18-20 degrees initial timing and my dizzy is set up for 36 degrees all in...this is with the holes drilled.

If there was a way to change out the brass air bleed passages on the deck (idle transition air jets), and increase the size, I could achieve my goal. But they appear to be pressed in and not interchangeable.

But whatever...having to drill the holes kinda bothered me.
I just thought there was a proper tuning measure that would forgo the holes in the plates.
I can't see any other way to get the air my engine wants at idle on a Weber.

That 1.5" hole in the small LOG probably isn't helping matters either!

Overall, I really like the 38/38 more than the synchronized 32/36.
Something about the symmetry of both sides being equal and using the same size jets ect...
Accelerator pedal feels amazing with those funky meshing gears for linkage on the 38/38.

Anywho...CHEERS EVERYONE!!! Hope you are all doing well.

Last edited:
X seems to B the real webber guy here, never saw 'em drill it...
he takes PMs readily

Okay...this isn't a Weber, but holy crap this is a great video for those new to carburetors...

like the plastic better'n the holley

Back