AUSSIE 250 eBay

Phil,

Don't try to figure us American's out. You never will. :LOL:

When I originally posted that I had found a manufacturer for the dual roller chains I had well over thirty responses. The minimum order was twenty five so I went ahead and ordered them based on the response. I still have seven of the twentyfive sitting in my garage. It doesn't upset me much as I know I will eventually sell them. But its still cash that's just sitting around without earning interest.

Point here, is when you get a response, figure about half of them to be really serious. And when it concerns the crossflow, its probably much lower that.

Taking your comment on responses versus purchases, a figure of one in nine was a pretty reliable bet for me on other discretionary items. There's phenomenal overlap in the music and "hot rod" industries for amounts of tyre kicking, and human dross.

Second last job I did, was working at street front. Again, over a dozen people stopped to inquire about similar work over that time. I told them I was busy for a few weeks more, but'd be happy to talk re: serious plans. I got one immediate job out of it, and am quoting on another.

Sorry that you guys are wearing these engine parts goings-on. It actually illustrates Clifford's pricing point quite well. Sometimes, things are too cheap; you attract the wrong people (aka slow/no payers), and the product is seen as substitutional or inferior.

V8s aren't too different. Look at what parts people really change, as opposed to their grand plans. Chrome air cleaner cover. Chrome valve covers. Coloured plug leads. Maybe a new carb (people seem to love changing carbs). Fake braided hose covers. So, it's of little surprise that when the going gets tough, the bottom drops out of the market.

Kudos to both of you for hanging in there. Winter is a lean time for sales. Mike, imagine next Spring; you'll have all this stuff available that people hardly knew of last time. Phil, you've honed your ideas about what people expect, got your contacts in Oz; if people can't wait a few weeks for a special order, what are they going to do? Find one in the US?

It's sources like you provide, that give depth to the Forum, setting it apart from all the blogging and hot air. And one last thing. How many young guys don't have a million-and-one grand plans? There's that generation gap again!

Adam.

I considered getting the dual roller chains, some of the other items you mentioned, , then the gear drives, then long before that some of the roller tipped rockers, etc.

I never actually "signed up" because I didn't wan't to screw anyone over by not coming through when it comes time to actually pay up. I'm still wanting the oil pan though and will send a money order as soon as I get to a bank and a post office.

Yeah I hear you... I think that is what will happen from now on, custom orders only on selected packages....

I deal with people all the time that state what they want. You go to the trouble to help, and end up in the cart, so to speak.

Two years ago, I did an import of a US Corvette Cross Fire 1982/1984 TBI small block manifold for a Kiwi (New Zealander) with a propane 350 Chev V8. I worked hard on a twin Impco carb set up that would fit under the bonnet of the little Holden it was going in to. I got it landed in NZ for less than $200. I ended up purchasing it myself in the end, and I don't even like Chev's.

With common things, the going rate is whatever. When your talking odd ball hop ups that the factory didn't do in America, you gotta be up front and risk scaring a few genuine nice people off. The six cylinder market in Australia and New Zealand is just as fickle as it is in the States as every one wants glamor and speed, but it all costs coin! The V8 side of things is much less risky because of high through-put

If you really, really want Aussie stuff, you have to really, really want to pay. There's a big ditch with ocean between us!

Back