Aussie crossflow parts in the USA

G

I am having a terrible time trying to locate and purchase crossflow engine rebuilding parts from local sources in the U.S.
Option #1
Does anyone know of a source for things like gaskets, bearings, piston rings, oil pump, etc that is located in the U.S.?
Option #2
Would anyone in Oz or NZ like to volunteer to let me send them a Certified Bank Cheque to purchase and ship the parts to me in the U.S.?

David McNair
Dayton, TX 77536 USA

You should be able to get some suitable rings locally, unless you want the Aussie pistons to go with them.

Here in Australia, you could try dealing with Rare Spares +61 2 9746 1188, or alternatively call Barry on + 61 2 9807 3988. He's the owner of my local "Auto One" store, but far from a counter dummy. If you specify by brand, he will do his best to get that exact product. He is polite and helpful. I can get about everything there except distributor rebuilds and rubber rocker cover gaskets. They are 600 feet from the Post Office, so pack and post oughtn't be a problem.

I would suggest genuine ACL bearings and gaskets. They are OEM and good gear.

American Autos' website is good for browsing. Many of their ID codes are wholesalers' ID; you can specify this number and get the part elsewhere. :p Look under Ford » Falcon » XD-XF » Engine Ford 6 X-Flow

There's another guy wanting parts - Omar, I think. Look back a week or so in the posts here. Maybe you can save by shipping together.

Cheers, Adam.

Rings for the Aussie pistons (at least on the engines I got) are thinner than the US ones. the gaskets, oil pump, and main bearings are also different. A US 250 waterpump will fit, as will the US rod bearings, but everything else has to come from Oz.

Econoline

Have you looked at "www.ebay.com.au" there is a nice set of pistons there at the moment. Send me a email to see what we can work out, are you a registered PayPal use?

Micheal

Thanks to all that responded.
Jack, it's good to know the US 250 rings are different. That could have caused major problems.
Michael, I am not a paypal/paymate registered person. I have purchased other items from ebay Australia with Bank Cheques with no problem. Looked at the piston and ring set on ebay. My cylinders are still std bore size.
Adam, do you know if the Auto One store has an e-mail address so that I can write to your friend who works the counter?
I will look through the old posts to try and find the Omar posts for more information.
David

ryde@autoone.com.au

is the email address. But please note that we (collectively) are not a particularly wired up nation yet. You might be best phoning before emailing, so they are onto it asap. Telephone calls to Oz are not the dollar monsters most people imagine; more like the cost of a hamburger for a decent chat...

Also read
http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8163
By Rare Spares, I mean "American Auto Parts" - it's a cosy little relationship these two businesses have. :unsure: But their online stores are way different in levels of "usability".

Adam.

From memory the '86 and later crossflows have the narrow type rings, and '76-'85 have the wider rings.

addo":31vledoz said:
more like the cost of a hamburger for a decent chat...

so, is that a cheap-o burger from McDonalds, or a "real" restraunt burger ('bout $6-7)? :D

Evan, that will depend on the time you call and your network/plan. I had in mind the cheaper feeds, not a gourmet experience...

Adam,
It is not the cost of the call that is holding me back. It is the fact that you are approx. 8-9 hours ahead of me on the clock. Your 9:00A.M. is my 1:00A.M. I will try and get up early and make the phone call before 5:00 A.M. my time, your stores should still be open at that time.
Half way around the world,
David

1700 through 0300 your time should work out OK.

I just mentioned the cost because it's seemed people have a misplaced fear the telephone companies will run off with their money (hey, we call that a contract here :LOL: ).

Hope things can be smoothed out.

Econoline-64":1lphuoga said:
Does anyone know of a source located in the U.S.?
David McNair
Dayton, TX 77536 USA
David,
Since your looking for US sources for Australian parts, Contact Phil at Aussie Car Imports, Phone: (503) 750-3253 Fax: (503) 289-5252 Mail: Aussie Car Imports
PO Box 17605
Portland, OR 97217
Email: info@aussiecarimports.com

There’s also a guy in Long Beach, CA. But I can’t find his information right now.

Don,
Is Aussie Imports run by Phillip Newell. I ordered the engine and some other parts from Phil in March. I recieved the engine about 6 weeks ago. I have been having some logistics problems with getting the rest of the parts I need in a timely fashion. I was looking for another source for the parts that would be able to ship them to me within a couple of weeks opposed to months.
Dave

Don,

Isn't that Ausheads Phil?

Anyhow, the Long Beach fella you're thinking of is Mike Fiedler(or is it Fielder??) he brings in timing chains and other stuff from oz.

db

Based on the oddments I've supplied and what is written by people on the Forum, it's the "fine print" that is being neglected. It's one thing to buy an engine. Easy to order a T5 bell from Geoff Dellow. What happens when you want the rubber boot for that bell, WITH the spring wire clip installed? Just one example... Or, how about the odd-size temperature sender?

It's unreasonable to expect the importers to carry anything and everything for these motors when there's bugger-all margin in it. But if they are going to sell them as viable propositions, there should be some kind of arrangement to mop up the small requests, as Dave says, in a timely fashion.

Adam.

Yes, Phillip Newell, Phil, Ausheads, all one in the same. I’ve never bought anything from him. He did post here a while back to see if he could support our US/Aussie needs but didn’t get much of a response IIRC.

Dennis, Do you have a number for Mike Fielder (or is it Fiedler???)

My thought was that one of these guys would have something on the shelf that might help David out. I agree with Adam, if they want to sell these engines, they should have a logistics support system in place to support them. No one can stand to be down for two or three months waiting for a $2 part. Rare Spares and Auto One are sounding better all the time!

For engine parts try this internet supplier, his prices for high Quality engine rebuild kits such as ACL race series are the best i have found.

http://www.performanceparts.com.au/parts_enquiry.htm

Looks like he does international orders. I have bought things from the US via Visa card and they just do a currency conversion on the day you make the transaction. Beware the Australian Dollar is on a six year high and is currently 70 US cents to an OZ dollar.

There may be tax implicaitons at your end such as import duty.

I work for a government consumer protection body. i plan to order some parts from this guy tommorrow but will check the corresponding consumer body in his state to see if they have had any complaints.

I will let you know the result.

Dom

That link is just the order form. Sorry.

Try this for the store:

http://www.performanceparts.com.au/store.html

and:

For ACL's site. Click on "Customer Service" then "Techfax" to read about the race products.

The earlier post about ring thickness is dead right. The early X-flow pistons are .078 thou thick and .054 (don't quote me, I looked at this a coule of days ago) for later pistons.

Its well worth downloading the PDF catalogues from ACL and quoting their numbers so you know you will get the right stuff.

I'm rebuilding a 200 cast iron x-flow which is turboed at the moment. I'm a tight arse (cheap) and have really looked around for prices the guy above is really cheap, i can let you know if he is reliable in the near future.

Dom

Back