blown engine

A

Anonymous

hey all.

I was woundering if A engine has been blown(as in blown up not supercharged) can it be rebuilt.

and what ellse can happen to an engine if it runs out of oil. and I know you guys are going to laugh now. but what does it mean if the engine blows. I know it freezez but what freezez.

well now that you got your laugh and before you have to make A trip to the bathroom.lol. could you help me.

thanks
66stang

Locked up, froze up or seized means some mechanical failure or brain fade has caused a bearing to fail, spin on the crank out of position and the engine stop rotating. Lack of oil, over heating and extreme over reving is the usual causes. There are others.
A blown engine (as in scattered) is to have a mechanical failure under full power usually caused by an initial lock up followed by a component structural failure: crank or rod break / bending after bearing failure, dropped valve after over reving and losing a keeper causing a holed piston, a ruined head, bent/ broke rod and bent crank and a new window in the side of the block.
The real difference between locked up and blown is the degree of damage and distruction. The re-building of a locked or blown engine is also a matter of degrees. Crank can be straightened and turned, heads can be welded and reworked, other parts replaced, blocks sleeved and/ or welded. But there is a point of damage or economics where it is best to start all over.
Some of us can remember when a blown engine was actually that, a valve hangs open and a supercharger lifts off like a moon shot or a crank blown out the bottom of a block embedded in the starting line asphalt.

hye thanks I didn't expect A detailed reply but it helped and I am glad you took the time to answer it.

thanks again.
66stang

8)

We need to know what sounds it made and how did it die?

Did it go with a bang?

Did it start running rough?

Did it just die and wont restart?

If it ran out of oil and froze it up you may be able to spray WD40 or penetrating oil in cylinders and put a big socket on the crank snout and see if you can "rock" the crank and unstick it.

It might still need to be rebuilt but it depends on how it died.

well it's not my engine it's my brother in law's engine. he said it went with A bang. but up untill the bang it ran fine.

thanks
66stang

8) these six poppers are hard to kill but it can be done. pull the oil pan and see what the bottom end looks like. often times a main bearing spins and cuts off oil pressure to the rod bearing, which then seizes, stretches the rod bolt to the breaking point and thus your blown engine. often time it also takes the piston out with it.
Some of us can remember when a blown engine was actually that, a valve hangs open and a supercharger lifts off like a moon shot or a crank blown out the bottom of a block embedded in the starting line asphalt.
thad i remember the worst blown motor i have ever seen. it was at the eloy, az dragstrip at an ahra regional event. a local tucson racer we went up with was running bb/fa, and on one particular run had the blower pop off the motor at about 1/2 track, however the motor was still being fed fuel so he kept his foot in the throttle. needless to say her was shedding parts all the way to the return road. as i recall we found one piston that could be salvaged. we asked him why he didnt kill the motor when the blower popped and he said it was still running and he still had a chance at winning the race. he was a bit nutty at times.

Back