All Small Six Broken Valve Seals

This relates to all small sixes

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy Guys,

So I finally decided to put the correct valve springs in the car that Schneider recommends. I go to take the spring off and find that the #1 Exhaust valve seal is shot. Its split down the side and has a piece broken off around the valve part. I just replaced these seals in September.... The head was rebuilt in November of 2019, installed March of 2020, head removed and seals replaced for same reason August 2020, same deal again. What could cause this? It split such that it can be rolled out flat. Is this just bad luck and getting old valve seals? I have not seen the rest as I wasn't able to get new ones today, but I assume the same. Any idea why? Plenty of installation lube was used.

Thanks,
Ryan

Since the Scheider cam probably has more lift than your stock cam, you might not have adequate clearance between the retainer and top of the valve guides. Did you check that at the time of installation?

Since the Scheider cam probably has more lift than your stock cam, you might not have adequate clearance between the retainer and top of the valve guides. Did you check that at the time of installation?
If that is the case, how do I fix that? I did not check it. Though i told the shop what my cam was when he put it all together so I'd hope he accounted for it

Went by the machine shop today, he said the retainer is definitely hitting. He had some extra 4.0 V6 ones that dropped right in. They were about .080 shorter than the stock, and one piece too! Hopefully they work out just fine

Is he going to measure them at the full valve lift height to be sure?

Back