Camshaft Upgrade: Need Recomendations

Greg

Hello Everyone,
I am planning on upgrading my 200CI camshaft as my next project and wanted some advice as to which to choose. The two I am currently deciding between are listed below. My goal is to gain some power, but I don't want to go too big as I want a very smooth idle and still have an automatic for now with a stock converter so I want to maintain some low end torque.
Also can someone provide me more detail on the "machining to eliminate the stock valve step and to install teflon valve seals", that is required with the new valve springs required for either camshaft. If anyone has pictures and instructions I'd appreciate it.

Anyone know the original cam specs? Just curious how they compare.

My currently narrowed down camshafts:

Clifford:
Part #93-2021, Lift (1.5 ratio) .444, Lift (1.6 ratio) .474, ADV Dur 264, Dur (@0.5) 206

FSPP: Product ID: CSC-264-12-DHS, Adv dur - 264/274, Dur @.050 - 214/224 Lift -.450/.450 Lobe center - 112* Range - 1400-5200

My current car setup:
- '67 Ford Mustang with 200ci engine
- V8 spec. C-4 Transmission and stock rear (2.83 I think)
- Clifford Dual Outlet Header (Part #53-0186) with dual exhaust
- Dura Spark II Ignition with Pertronix Coil running at 12 Volts. Thank you everyone for your great instructions. They encouraged me to take on this upgrade.
- Remanufactured to Stock Specs (~9 years ago) Log Head, Number D7BE609(or 8)CAB, I think it was milled 0.025".

My Future Plans:
- Order soon: FSPP RAS Roller-Tipped Rocker Assemblies, Product ID: RAS-200-RTR, 1.6 ratio. I may install these with the new push rods before I install the cam to see it I can get rid of a lifter tap. (See if it's a lifter or exhaust)
- Upgrade to 2 barrel carb. with Clifford 2:1 adapter just after breaking in the cam (only one thing at a time). Anyone want to sell a Weber 38DGES cheap :).
- Look into Clifford's or FSPP Aluminum head when available.
- V8 Rear ~3.2 or I'll see what I can find.
- Front 5 bolt discs and a power break booster.
- Air conditioning someday...

Thanks,
Greg

A stock 200 cam according to the ford falcon six handbook was 252/256duration with .348 lift.

If i was you i would go with comp cams 260cam. From what i have heard it perks up the engine and give a smooth idle. Since you have high gears in the back that might be best. But as you beef up your engine with carburation and what not. I would go with FSPP: Product ID: CSC-264-12-DHS, Adv dur - 264/274, Dur @.050 - 214/224 Lift -.450/.450 Lobe center - 112* Range - 1400-5200
That is the cam im putting in my car once i get the money. There are others here in the forum that can elaberate in detail, on which cam is right for you.

Hope that helped

later,

Curtis

I just installed comp cams part# 65-235-4 specs are: 252 duration with .425 lift. No need for new springs or anything special it's compatable with the stock equipment. I got to drive it for the first time today,and I'd have to say I deffinitly like. It's peppy and has a lot more top end; I haven't taken it on the freeway yet got some bugs to work out first. For a daily driver this cam rocks, and it sounds awsome if you have headers. I think .430 is the maximum lift you can get out of the stock springs I know my springs didn't look like they had much more in them with the vavle open. If you put in one of those cams that you have listed you will need the teflon valve stem seals and better springs They probably wont work with the gears is your rear end very well either.

Thank you guys,
I am still not against upgrading the springs and seal, but I would like to get some more detail as to what type of machining needs to be done to fit them.
Also, If it will work and not be too rough I would like to go with the longer duration cam to get more power for all the hills in my area. Although if it is going to idle rough and not have as much low enough low end torque I'll go with the smaller cam.

Greg

I went with a comp cams 260H. I didn't want much more because I like a smooth idle. The 260 is very smooth but the extra lift definitely wakes the engine up, even under a stock 1100 carb.

If you have lots of hills, I wouldn't go too radical on the cam, you're going to want low end power and generally as you go more radical on the cam, your power curve shifts to the higher RPMS.

If the hills really start to get you, consider adding a 3.40 or 3.55 rear end (though with an auto, that may be too high).

Slade

To clarify the hill climbing issue,
the car is fine starting off on hills, etc. My biggest problem is at highway speeds going up some large hills with 65 MPH speed limits and the power isn't always there to maintain my normal 5 MPH over the speed limit. I've had to slow down or go wide open throttle.

Greg

I had a similiar problem with the stock camshaft with 3.20 gears and a 2.77 3spd going up inclines at 65MPH. IMHO, any upgraded camshaft will help, even one with close to stock duration. You're going to get the biggest improvement as the result of the increased lift. Most camshafts increase the valve lift by 30%. That basically means you can get a lot more air in the cylinders because of less restrictions on the air flow, which in turn means higher Volumetric Efficiency and more power.

Slade

Back