All Small Six Dynamic compression

This relates to all small sixes
Just some info on my own behalf đŸ„č, I kinda inherited this engine. The bottom end was together and the cam was in when I got it. I was not involved in any of the planning on cam selection, compression or machine work. The head work was done, no springs or push rods and tells terra rockers in a box. I think the motor had set for 2 to 3 years. The extent of what the have done is, plastiguage the mains and rods, had the head freshened up, seats, intake runners and face touched up removing surface rust. I have selected the springs to match to cam requirements, smith bros push rods, timed the cam with double roller chain, plugged the oil passage to the head in the block, put groves in the two lifters over the distributor gear, drilled a .030 hole in oil plug behind cam chain. Re- worked my oil slinger to clear the double roller(torch and tie rod tools and a hammer). CC the head to see where it is at, installed the rockers/pushrods, timing cover, modified oil pump to clear main studs. The head is : DODE-6090 modified for two barrel carb, 1.75 SI intake valve, 1.5 SI valves. Silvolight flat top pistons. The deck was milled to 0 piston height. 50-51 cc chambers. Compression is figured at 10.3 static and 8.3 dynamic. I have jet coated headers, and DUI dizzy and wires ( will be re-curved by Bill👍) and I have a Holley 2300 350 cfm carb
This is why I am now concerned about what I have. I really don’t want to get into mixing additives to my gas. I just want to run ethanol free. I can get 91oct locally. I just don’t know if I need to maybe open up the chambers to get my compression down a little. Or maybe it will be ok to just adjust timing as needed
I have an assoc degree in automotive technology so I have a basic understanding and knowledge of how engines work. As they say, enough to be dangerous 😃. But the knowledge and understanding of engine building and engine engineering and how they affect the end product is past me. I even understand the cam terms and what they are, but to know how different variables affect The end performance is beyond my knowledge. I am impressed by reading posts and the knowledge of members here is impressive.
So please be gentle on me if this build hasn’t been done properly and in order. I am just trying to make sure I have it sorted as much as possible.
And again, my cam specs:

Attachments

• IMG_2483.jpeg
    IMG_2483.jpeg
    455.5 KB · Views: 14
Don
The DCR knock index for the 300 big six is between 7.0 to 7.5 for pump gas octane of 87 to 91 respectively.
The small six with it’s smaller cylinder bores
Is between 7.5 to 8.0 but that is with the current E10 pump gas.
We don’t know what the detonation index is with ethanol free 91.
If you want to have margin, you could pull a few CCs out of the combustion chambers if there is a good place to do so.
What does the chambers look like?

Last edited:
Well
 I can’t really tell you. Don’t have a photo. Already installed. I do have an extra head gasket. If you think it’s worth it I can pull the head. My labor is cheap. I really want to just use rec gas from the pump. If it sacrifices performance, it is what it is. Is it the safe thing to do ?

Well
 I can’t really tell you. Don’t have a photo. Already installed. I do have an extra head gasket. If you think it’s worth it I can pull the head. My labor is cheap. I really want to just use rec gas from the pump. If it sacrifices performance, it is what it is. Is it the safe thing to do ?
Using lower octane pump gas is not a matter of performance, it is a matter of doing engine damage due to detonation.

What octane pump gas do you want to use?

Also if it would interest you I could leave it like it is and let you know how it is. Let you know what timing is when it doesn’t knock. It wouldn’t help me, but might be useful to you since I am on the high end of things. ??

Also if it would interest you I could leave it like it is and let you know how it is. Let you know what timing is when it doesn’t knock. It wouldn’t help me, but might be useful to you since I am on the high end of things. ??
That would be good information for the whole small six group if you don’t mind.
Frank is doing the same analysis on the big six side with the 240 six.

Using lower octane pump gas is not a matter of performance, it is a matter of doing engine damage due to detonation.

What octane pump gas do you want to use?
I want to use ethanol free, 91 octane. Most places it’s 89, but a couple have the 91.
I would rather use pump gas and performance is what it is.
Not going to be drag racing, even though it doesn’t have a hitch👍

I want to use ethanol free, 91 octane. Most places it’s 89, but a couple have the 91.
I would rather use pump gas and performance is what it is.
Not going to be drag racing, even though it doesn’t have a hitch👍
So it sounds like the plan is to try the engine as is and see if it runs without detonation on 91octane ethanol free pump gas and report the results.

Don, that's a wise idea. It hinges on you knowing for sure what the internal engine parameters are if the performance/octane info is to be valid. â˜ș

Do an A/F ratio test at WOT. On non ethanol fuel 12.8-13.1. On ethanol fuel 12.2-12.5 is best.
What i'm saying is you have to be very cautious depending on what fuel & A/F ratio.

Don, that's a wise idea. It hinges on you knowing for sure what the internal engine parameters are if the performance/octane info is to be valid. â˜ș
I understand, GIGO. Pistons are flat top, no question there. I know the cylinders are 40 over and have a part number, I mic’ed the bore, I know valve sizes, I know cylinder chamber volumes ( they very 2 or 3 cc’s ), I know the deck was zeroed, I don’t know how much was taken off. I have an 02 meter which will be on when first fired.
Am I forgetting anything?

Do an A/F ratio test at WOT. On non ethanol fuel 12.8-13.1. On ethanol fuel 12.2-12.5 is best.
What i'm saying is you have to be very cautious depending on what fuel & A/F ratio.
I will save this info for carb adjustments. You will have re-curved the DUI as well. I will give you engine info then as well. I might even get an additive to start with, give me a little cushion till things get adjusted. I have tried to document everything, I have figures for cam timing math, bearing clearance photos and cc numbers. Did I forget anything??

I understand, GIGO. Pistons are flat top, no question there. I know the cylinders are 40 over and have a part number, I mic’ed the bore, I know valve sizes, I know cylinder chamber volumes ( they very 2 or 3 cc’s ), I know the deck was zeroed, I don’t know how much was taken off. I have an 02 meter which will be on when first fired.
Am I forgetting anything?
Intake valve closing point and piston compression height, if we really need accurate DCR. . Hearing all those stats, I say, "fire that baby up! Let's ride."

ICP: 274➗2=137+108=245 - 180 = 65 Closing point BBDC.
If I understand what you are asking, piston compression height is 0. What I referred to as “0 decked”. Piston is flush with top of block at TDC.
Chamber CC range:
2 at 50
2 at 51
2 at 52
So I figured SC and DC with the high and low cc number:
At 52cc: 10.054 and 8.071
At 50cc: 10.359 and 8.310

Attachments

• IMG_3465.jpeg
    IMG_3465.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3464.jpeg
    IMG_3464.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
ICP: 274➗2=137+108=245 - 180 = 65 Closing point BBDC.
If I understand what you are asking, piston compression height is 0. What I referred to as “0 decked”. Piston is flush with top of block at TDC.
Chamber CC range:
2 at 50
2 at 51
2 at 52
So I figured SC and DC with the high and low cc number:
At 52cc: 10.054 and 8.071
At 50cc: 10.359 and 8.310
OK! the piston pin height determines how far below deck the piston top is. You already know it's flat-decked at 0, so good to go. Wow that's a pretty stout cam, 224*@.050on 108*- you'll hear that at idle. 8* overlap @.050" lift. . To give a comparison, my Crower cam in the 240 is -11.5* overlap @ .050. .

I would want to kill myself if I had to port two heads, get that vee valley stuff to not leak under boost.;)
Nice engine.

I ran that Clay Smith 274 cam & i hated it. great top end, but no low end or midrange.
If you are not satisifed with it get a cam with less duration faster rate of lift & more lift.
Wish you the best.

Back