All Small Six Can't unplug Firewall Harness to replace Pink resistor wire.

This relates to all small sixes

dydaktix

Any tips or suggestions? I've tried pulling it from the engine bay side, but it doesn't come off.

Attachments

• A80F5E1B-EAAC-4D75-8485-713DF95459C7_1_105_c.jpeg
    A80F5E1B-EAAC-4D75-8485-713DF95459C7_1_105_c.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 8
From the engine bay side, maybe some WD-40, and lightly squeeze around the connector block with pliers or channel locks to loosen up the old, probably hardened up connector. Engine bay side connectors just plug in with no type of retainer clip. Interior side just pushes thru the fire wall, there are little metal clips cast into the connector that keeps it in the firewall, easy to push back with a small screwdriver. Individual wire connections could be corroded together.

Check all the wiring for burn thru, pinkie got HOT! Check for corrosion in the connectors. Dielectric grease when you plug them back together.

Last edited:
From the engine bay side, maybe some WD-40, and lightly squeeze around the connector block with pliers or channel locks to loosen up the old, probably hardened up connector. Engine bay side connectors just plug in with no type of retainer clip. Interior side just pushes thru the fire wall, there are little metal clips cast into the connector that keeps it in the firewall, easy to push back with a small screwdriver. Individual wire connections could be corroded together.

Check all the wiring for burn thru, pinkie got HOT! Check for corrosion in the connectors. Dielectric grease when you plug them back together.
Thank you! Which way should I squeeze top and bottom or left and right? or both?

Both, and twist a little. If you have some corroded connections, you want to loosen the corrosion.

Did it burn with a regular coil?

Corrosion in the connector could cause it to have had additional resistance, and overheat.

The plugs are basically bullet type crimp connectors for each wire, cast into rubber.

Attachments

• bullet.jpg
    bullet.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks! I got the harness replaced but can’t figure how to plug the male bullet into the harness. Most of the pink wire is gone so not sure I can crimp a female onto it.

It was using a stock coil.

That's a draw back of rubber cast plugs. If you are careful with it, you can slice the rubber with a razor blade to the connector and whats left of the old wire, remove it and lay the new one in, then thin coat the slice with super glue and close it back together. Don't trust any of the remaining burn wire.

Last edited:
Back