Coil Resistor

Johnshipiii

Coil question for 226 Flathead. Looking at replacing my coil. This aftermarket coil calls for an external resistor? Is this resistor necessary for the 226? Does the OEM coil have an internal resistor? Thanks in advance for any help. Didn’t wa t to spend a fortune on 6v coil as planning on a 12v conversion in the future . CA15F6E6-6498-422A-9FF9-DFF053EB9463.png

All coils to my knowledge are designed for 6 volts. The resistance wire or external resistor is for 12 volt systems to reduce the voltage to 6 volts. This is standard on all 12 volt point systems. If you are installing it on a 6 volts system you do not need the resistance wire or external resistor (some times called a ballast resistor). When you convert to 12 volts just add a ballast resistor. This is a common part and should be easy to get. Mount on fire wall between ignition source and coil.

If you let me know what car we're working with, I'll check. Usually, older Fords had a ceramic style block resistor located on the firewall but I'm not certain of what they used on 6 volt systems. Later Fords used a resistance wire. You can run it temporarily without a resistor but continuous use will wreak havoc on your points and could overheat the coil.

Your initial thread said you may convert to 12 volts later thus I assume you are now running a 6 volt system. If so no resistor is required. See a wiring diagram for a 12 volt system which will have the ballast resistor. The idea is to limit the amps through the points as manglass said. google 6 volt ignition wiring diagrams for how to wire.

If you let me know what car we're working with, I'll check. Usually, older Fords had a ceramic style block resistor located on the firewall but I'm not certain of what they used on 6 volt systems. Later Fords used a resistance wire. You can run it temporarily without a resistor but continuous use will wreak havoc on your points and could overheat the coil.
‘46 226 G. Thanks

Your initial thread said you may convert to 12 volts later thus I assume you are now running a 6 volt system. If so no resistor is required. See a wiring diagram for a 12 volt system which will have the ballast resistor. The idea is to limit the amps through the points as manglass said. google 6 volt ignition wiring diagrams for how to wire.
Thanks. Yes, 6v system.

Back