Do we really need a modern ignition?

Charlie Cheap

pmuller9, my statement about points is NOT that it is the best overall, but on the street we do not need a 100K volts to light the mixture. No doubt the electronics are better in modern computer-controlled engines, but the spark from points is inherently longer...up to about 4K rpm. MSD stands for Multiple Spark Discharge to duplicate the longer points spark. Even in their own testing for HP and Torque the difference is negligible. Points vs HEI at street RPM's = points Torque @ 3500 - 241 HP / HEI - 238 HP, 4000 - 370.9 / HEI - 370.5, 4500 - 384.9 / HEI - 379.0. With the Mustang 3.0 to 2.79 rear gears 4500 RPM equals way over 110 MPH. Even hot rodders seldom venture there on the street. I use Torque because it translates more directly to ECONOMY. Please, I HAVE STATED MANY TIMES, IF YOU HAVE A COMPUTER CONTROLLED ENGINE DO NOT GO BACK TO POINTS. I like them because there is no computer needed on my old 6-cylinder driver, and installing a computer ignition did me ZERO good...though I did not test it above 75 MPH.

Charlie Cheap

In my previous post the first MSD number listed was HP (points vs HEI), but the other two were Torque (points vs factory HEI). The numbers are MSD numbers taken off the Hot Rod network on line. Remember, I am not making a case to move backward from a computer-controlled system to points, but showing points are fine for street driving my modified 6-cylinder.

pmuller9

2K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
That's fine Charlie.
My last post was not intended as a counter point concerning electronic versus points ignition.
I was simply explaining the separate rolls that spark voltage and spark current play during ignition in an effort to dispel some misconceptions.
It was good of you to share your thoughts on the subject knowing you would get some controversy.

wsa111

Distributor Recurving.
Staff member
VIP
Approved Vendor
Supporter 2018
Charlie, unless you have new points & tight bushings in the distributor, after a couple of days all that will end.
This is not the stone age.
Modern electronics kick ass.

Charlie Cheap

Billy, many tests have been done in real world situations, and with a points dizzy in proper tune, electronics does nothing for street driving at street RPM. That is not my old school thinking but actual testing. Distributors do NOT go bad after a few miles if they are good ones, and points go thousands of miles between adjusting. Most drivers are not...and before electronics...were not mechanics, but they drove their cars to work daily with little trouble. Maintenance is the real reason for electronics, plus the ability to work with a computer that controls timing, injection, and shifting. Re-curving a modified dizzy is a great idea to get the most out of an old points system. I love electronics and went to the same electronics school as Rush Limbaugh. I went to learn how to fix stuff and he went to be a DJ. Last I heard he is worth about $400,000,000.00 and me...I have a few thou $$ in the bank. We can hash this points/electronics thing to death and get no where. I like my wife's electronics fired Ford Edge with a turbo, and it gets 175 HP from 96 cubic inches. A points dizzy would not work in her car, and I DO NOT recommend anyone with a DSII or any other electronics ignition to go back to points. My only point...pun intended...is that points work fine...up to a POINT!