Dual out header and exhaust diameter choices

wblundell

I am in the final stages of my build, having converted my '66 200 to a 2v on a head from a 1982 Granada.

My upgrades to the engine include:
Head
hot tank, magnaflux'd, and pressure tested
larger valves (175/150) and valve seats with 302 valve springs
new guides and seals
back cutting, and a three angle valve job
mill the cylinder head a total of .075"
machined to accept classic inlines 2v adapter

Carburetor
rebuilt Autolite 2100 / 1.14 venturi
1/2" carb spacer

Cam
new 264/264 cam w/ 112 degrees lobe separation (Classic Inlines package CSC-200-HCP complete cam package)
new timing chain set
new lifters

Misc
new Corteco gasket set
ARP stud kit
Classic Inlines HEI Ignition Kit
Lokar gas pedal, throttle cable and kickdown cable
aluminum water pump
aluminum radiator
Ford contour electric fan (future)
cold air intake (future)

Header
Classic Inlines dual out header

My question is - I plan to go with a dual exhaust with a x pipe, would you recommend 2" or 2.25" exhaust for this configuration? What mufflers would you recommend?

Thanks
Warren

Warren, use the Victor head gasket its only .044" compressed compared to the corteco .050" +.
Your Dui will need to be recurved for your combination.
2" pipes should be ok for your setup.
Mufflers-Dynomax for a mellow sound, Magnaflow if you want something louder.
If you have extra money left Borla mufflers sound the best, but they are expensive.
I would strongly suggest at least 1.60 roller rocker arms.

wblundell":3vqjcjcx said:
I am in the final stages of my build, having converted my '66 200 to a 2v on a head from a 1982 Granada.

Header
Classic Inlines dual out header
My question is - I plan to go with a dual exhaust with a x pipe, would you recommend 2" or 2.25" exhaust for this configuration? What mufflers would you recommend?
Thanks
Warren

. 2" is simplest to get standard bends and clamps in standard size, with dual outs 2" should be sufficient . I have long tube dual outs on two cars, a 170 and a 250 with standard 2" bends welded and clamped using "Smithy" mufflers & rubber hangers for a mellow tone with no six drone. . . For performance applications a Flex-section is recommended, S/S "band clamps" work great for R&R- if you ever think you may need to take it off at some point... :roll: .

have fun

. .

I considered the X-pipe but not the H. From my info gathering the H wouldn't help the 6 as much as the 8. I very well could be wrong on that. As to the X pipe, I read it's more of a sound thing than performance. Decided if I didn't like the sound I could add the X-pipe later.

Back