duraspark coil

A

Anonymous

I hope to install a Duraspark II ignition into our 1965 Mustang this weekend. Everyone has been so helpfull. I hope this is my last question:

1) Can I use the stock coil until I decide on a replacement. What would be a reasonably priced alternative.
2) Some coils are clearly marked for electronic ignition systems, some are not. Does it matter.
3) All the wiring diagrams show the wire going to the "+" terminal of the coil originating after the resistor wire, in my case delivering only 6.25V. Is this OK for a new 12V coil or should I connect directly to swithed 12V source.

Thanks again
Tom

It'll work with the stock coil. If you have a 12v coil, You can bypass the resistor wire, but sometimes that can cause a problem with overheating the coil with the ignition in the "acc" position for long times. After a certain point, a stronger output coil is overkill. In other words, if the coil is producing a consistant, hot spark, going to a higher output coil doesn't benefit you, unless you're burning oil. In that case, a stronger spark might help you stop a high speed miss--- but if you're burning that much oil, the engine needs repair/rebuild anyway.

Maverick250":ik5x0szq said:
It'll work with the stock coil. If you have a 12v coil, You can bypass the resistor wire, but sometimes that can cause a problem with overheating the coil with the ignition in the "acc" position for long times.

You're right on the money here except I believe the coil overheat occurs with the key in the "RUN" position (engine off) not "ACC". The coil shouldn't be energized when the key is in the "ACC" position like many do while spiffing up their ride. ;)

Thanks, Phil. I knew the coil could overheat with the power on; I should've thought about what I was saying.

Back