Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - and would attend seminar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
I posted this in a different section but thought I'd post it here as well, as I have some questions.

I'm wondering how many members plan to update to fuel injection over the next year or two? And if Classic Inlines offered a free seminar in your area, would it be helpful and would you attend? As always, comments appreciated.

AzCoupe":38knlpqn said:
I'm working with Emerald (and Jenvey), who have offered to make a custom EFI kit for us. We will be stocking the Jenvey TBIs, which will work on our new triple intake, as well as all the related parts. I've already added a few articles in the CI Tech section, but have several other ideas.

One of them is to do a few FREE seminars in different parts of the country. Anyone interested in EFI could come and learn about EFI (Emerald's system in peticular), installation tips, and programing. They would include group workshops, one on one instruction, and the possiblity of installing a kit on their vehicle as part of the workshop instruction.

Good places to do this would be some of the various shows like the Falcon Nationals, Columbus swap meet, the Ford Nationals, or any of the larger club shows. The manager of Emerald has agreed to work with us and do this, as long as we get a reasonable turnout. Obviously, he couldn't do this if only one or two guys show up.

For those in the Orlando area, we may do something like this (a short version) at the PRI Convention. I'm just not sure what night or where, as I still neeed to work that out.

We will also be stocking Spectre's EMS-Pro, which is based on the megasquirt but has more bells and whistles. They to, have agreed to produce a wire harness and possibly a complete kit. Programs could be download from their website, or you can share programs with other members. Example, if BillR57 were to develop a program that works well with his setup, anyone with a similar setup can download his program and install it. Classic Inlines will set up a section on our website where guys can download programs which were sent in by other members, who are also using the EMS-Pro.

I haven't asked Spectre yet, but imagine they would also agree to do a seminar at their facility in SoCal. They even have a chassy dyno so we do before and after pulls, and verify the gains. Plus we may be able to get Hot Rod to come and cover it in an article.

I wouldn't really be interested in a seminar since I feel fairly well versed on the subject (I've done this before) - but if you need help putting it on let me know.

A seminar would be really interesting for me. I want to switch to EFI but lack the knowledge to make it happen.

i dont think i'd be willing to go 100's of miles but if you guys had somthing up here in the philadlphia area i'd definatly go

I definitely want to go fuel injection, and would be willing to go 300 miles (give or take) from the New York City area. Heck, I'd gladly use my Falcon as a test mule for the class.

Yes, I'd be interested in this. I work on EFI systems almost daily, but they are factory installed units.
It would be great to learn fuel mapping, etc.
Columbus, Ohio/Detroit Michigan area would work for me.....That's about 3 hours away.

8) mike, you might consider having the seminar, and recording it. put that recording on a dvd or two, and sell those for a reasonable proce for those who cant make the seminar. you might even include a cd that has the basic program for the megasquirt so that guys can install it on their computers without having to download it from the net. just an idea. if you include a cd with the megasquirt system, you might also include a few fuel maps for various applications that would allow people to load on their system to get things going.

i doubt i would upgrade in a year or two, but i do eventually plan on upgrading to tbi or efi. This would mostly be because if i put a v8 in my falcon, i plan on building a rock buggy with the straight six.

Either way though, efi or TBI would be great on the six in my falcon too *shrug*. IDK though it would be so simpler to stick with carbed, but not as efficient, so go figure.

That said a seminar would be cool, but i'd imagine it would be more efficient to video tape em also and offer them online or something *shrug*.

Mike,

I'd be interested in attending, from an educational standpoint. I plan on developing my own system based on MSII, but I'm always interested in different systems. Also, if you choose to run a session in the Baltimore/Washinton DC area, I may be able to offer CCBC Catonsville as a host facility. Also, if you'd like to do something MS based, I have a proffessional relationship with Bruce Bowling. I'm sure he wouldn't mind participating in some sort of presentation about MegaSquirt. He already does presentations for our automotive students.

PM me if you have interest.

I would be very interested in a EFI seminar. I have plans to go EFI when a kit becomes available.

Bill

Mike,
My plan all along has been to go with FI. I also plan (in the long run) to go supercharger and so would like a system that would work in this combination. I believe my conversion will happen within the next 2 years.

I guess I am like others here, I am not sure I would travel more than 100 miles for a seminar though. But I would definitely be interested in a kit!

I would DEFINITELY go to a (nearby) seminar to learn EFI. I'd like to put a megasquirt in my new engine. Maybe a DVD (like rbohm suggested) showing the how-to's and stuff would work best.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just trying to see if there is any interest in something like this, and how many plan to go to EFI down the road. I have a feeling quite a few are thinking about it, but are nervous about doing it because they don't understand it. I like the idea of doing a video, as I hadn't thought about that. It would be an easy way to reach the masses, and we could cover an inline six install in detail, with the various systems available (MegaSquirt, EMS-Pro, Emerald, Fast, Haltech).

The Falcon Nationals are in St Louis next year, so that would be a good location for some members. I'll have to look around and see what we can come up with for a couple more.

Here's another throttle body we are looking at, from Extrudabody. Its a modular system that is highly adaptable. Very cool stuff.
DCOE_sm2.JPG
DCOE_vsm2.jpg

They already make a plenum chamber which is suitable for natural aspiration or boosted applications.

TBIP1.jpg

TBIP2.jpg

TBIP3.jpg

The video idea is a great one. Though it would *need* to show all of the glitches & roadblocks that you run into along the way. And how to get around them. Definetely NOT like the hop-it-up shows on TV where everything falls apart & back together without any problems.
I want to be aware of potential problems & special/weird parts that I need before I dig into a project like this.
As an example; I was really interested in putting a T5 in my '61 wagon. Then found that the driveshaft angle would be off, creating a vibration, since the T5 is tall & my trans tunnel is small. To do this project properly, it is not a "bolt in" for my application. Glad I found this out before coughing up the cash for a trans.....
I don't want a hacked together finished product.
That said, CI seems to be interested in doing things properly, the first time & I applaud you for that. I'm sure I'll be purchasing things from you in the future. Just gotta get the garage queen back on the front burner & talk the financial coordinator into a couple of requisitions.......

Subjects:

Throttle Body Injection 101
Gas Tank and Lines 101
Computer Mounting and Wiring 101
Linkage 101

kukm66":2jlk3rxa said:
Subjects:

Gas Tank and Lines 101
Linkage 101

More like:

Basic EFI
Terms & Definitions
Pros & Cons
EFI vrs Carb
EMS (various systems)
System Design
Basic Design
TBI Sizing
Injector Sizing
Air Supply Options
Dual Fuel Systems
* 12 Point
* Nitrous
Parts Acquisition
Required
Optional
Installation
Assembly
Installation
Linkage/Cables
Wiring & Mounting
Fuel Supply & Return
Cold Air Supply
Basic Programming
Advanced Programming
Boosted Applications
Turbo charging
Super charging
Maintenance & Tuning
Trouble Shooting
Required Tools
Hand tools
Specialtiy tools
Beer

AzCoupe":17gtngxf said:
kukm66":17gtngxf said:
Subjects:

Gas Tank and Lines 101
Linkage 101

More like:

Basic EFI
Terms & Definitions
Pros & Cons
--EFI vrs Carb
--EMS (various systems)
System Design
--Basic Design
--TBI Sizing
--Injector Sizing
--Air Supply Options
--Dual Fuel Systems
---- * 12 Point
---- * Nitrous
Parts Acquisition
--Required
--Optional
Installation
--Assembly
--Installation
--Linkage/Cables
--Wiring & Mounting
--Fuel Supply & Return
--Cold Air Supply
Basic Programming
Advanced Programming
Boosted Applications
--Turbo charging
--Super charging
Maintenance & Tuning
Trouble Shooting
Required Tools
--Hand tools
--Specialtiy tools
--Beer

I'd probably revise that ever so slightly to look like this:

Basic EFI
Terms & Definitions
Pros & Cons
--EFI vrs Carb
--EMS (various systems)
System Design
--Basic Design
--TBI Sizing
--Injector Sizing
--Air Supply Options
--Dual Fuel Systems
---- * 12 Point
---- * Nitrous
Parts Acquisition
--Required
--Optional
Installation
--Assembly
--Installation
--Linkage/Cables
--Wiring & Mounting
--Fuel Supply & Return
--Cold Air Supply
Basic Programming
Advanced Programming
Boosted Applications
--Turbo charging
--Super charging
Maintenance & Tuning
Trouble Shooting
Required Tools
--Hand tools
--Specialtiy tools
--Beer, BBQ and Blues!*

*afterwards

But maybe that's just me.

:)

Was telling my boss about this idea - he's neither a Ford guy nor a Six guy (it's all about the SBC), but he said he would definitely consider attending something like that...

Back