All Small Six Electric Turbos?

This relates to all small sixes
I wish I could get your setup. There are no aluminum heads or crossflow heads available here in the states. I wonder how much it would cost to ship one to me 🤔
about $500

Keep a look out on my page, I am doing stock of my used parts at the moment and ill more than likely be offering free crossflow heads if you purchase a cam, lifters, springs, retainers and intake manifold.

What's the price of the later SOHC over there?

Free half the time, the SOHC is a very under rated engine, the bottom end is very close to a Barra specially in the last version. 450 at the flywheel is very possible with one.
The AU VCT is the pick of them, but it presents a problem with alloy sump, if you have to mod it. Cox Custom Im sure could deal with that. All the earlier engines had the good old pressed steel sump, easier to modify. The AU six has the larger main journals and cross bolted main caps, it still has the oil pump driven by the jack shaft, and a hole where a dizzy could go. Again tough as old boots, ordinary SOHC and dirt cheap, VCT a little dearer, not not usually more than $500. Wreckers are chucking them out now days as they think there too old, they last forever so nobody buys them.

I just found out about these yesterday. I'm liking the price point as well as the ease of installation. The other plus is that you get boost right off the bat like a supercharger. It may not be in my budget right now, but just for future reference. Does anyone have experience with these?
I found a website that can help you determine your opinion on the electric turbo's. Checkout electrifiedboost.com

The AU VCT is the pick of them, but it presents a problem with alloy sump, if you have to mod it. Cox Custom Im sure could deal with that. All the earlier engines had the good old pressed steel sump, easier to modify. The AU six has the larger main journals and cross bolted main caps, it still has the oil pump driven by the jack shaft, and a hole where a dizzy could go. Again tough as old boots, ordinary SOHC and dirt cheap, VCT a little dearer, not not usually more than $500. Wreckers are chucking them out now days as they think there too old, they last forever so nobody buys them.
The AU bottom end is similar to the later Barra. The alloy rear sump oil pan from a Barra will fit an AU.

Attachments

• IMG_2502.JPG
    IMG_2502.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • FG Barra.jpg
    FG Barra.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 1
Go for a twin screw supercharger, Whipple opcon sprintex, much better for a street driver. you will have to design a belt drive whichever way you go. the centrifugal compressor has one problem inherant to it, the pressure goes up with the square of the rpm, so no pressure at low rpm, loys at high rpm, great for bonneville running not much use on the street. The twin screw compressors will make pressure at low rpm and the manifold pressure is mostly dependant on throttle opening. I have a Sprintex twin screw (lysholm type), I have boost at any time any rpm, it just makes the engine feel much bigger than it is. mine is a 200ci, it drives like its a 351. The cost is about the same, but perfromaance is much easier to get along with.
Back to a previous subject. If I were to build a centrifugal supercharger, wouldn't it be possible to build it for operation a low rpms through the use of a smaller pulley and more agressive impeller blades? Awhile back, I built a functioning model of a centrifugal water pump. The only thing powering it was an electromagnetic motor that ran on 6 AAs and turned at about 350 rpm with 40 mNm. It put out about the same water-pressure as a faucet opened about halfway. The impeller wasn't more that 3" across and it had straight, 90° blades. I'm no expert but that seems like a great deal of pressure all things considered.

Back to a previous subject. If I were to build a centrifugal supercharger, wouldn't it be possible to build it for operation a low rpms through the use of a smaller pulley and more agressive impeller blades?
If you run a larger centrifugal supercharger, you can run it closer to the surge zone (left hand side of the compressor map) and cap the boost level at higher rpm by blowing off the excess boost with a BOV or Wastegate

Back to a previous subject. If I were to build a centrifugal supercharger, wouldn't it be possible to build it for operation a low rpms through the use of a smaller pulley and more agressive impeller blades? Awhile back, I built a functioning model of a centrifugal water pump. The only thing powering it was an electromagnetic motor that ran on 6 AAs and turned at about 350 rpm with 40 mNm. It put out about the same water-pressure as a faucet opened about halfway. The impeller wasn't more that 3" across and it had straight, 90° blades. I'm no expert but that seems like a great deal of pressure all things considered.
While the principal of centrifugal compression is the same (velocity energy changed to pressure energy) water is about 800 times denser than air. Heaps of research and design has gone into centrifugal compressors probably over a century of work by the likes of Rollsroyce, I doubt you could improve upon their work at home. The main problem is that the PR goes up with the square of the speed, so your PR curve is more like a parabola which does not suit an IC engine for street use. The succesfull centrifugal compressors were applied to engines which did not run over a wide range of RPMs and loads, ie a Rollsroyce merlin, and in that case it had a two stage two speed supercharger, and they used a draw through setup the had the cooling effect of vapourisation. If you read A Graham Bells work "forced induction" he gives some more detail with examples. Only the well integrated turbocharged engines can operate really well for normal road use. I have an equinox 1.5 turbo, you barely know its turbocharged, and the fuel economy is great. With the positive displacement compressors you can forget about all the problems of a centrifugal compressor, get what feels like a doubling of engine capacity to drive. Ive had the turbo, hot cams big carbies etc etc, but now i have a blower, I know what I prefer.

If you run a larger centrifugal supercharger, you can run it closer to the surge zone (left hand side of the compressor map) and cap the boost level at higher rpm by blowing off the excess boost with a BOV or Wastegate
Terribly wasteful, centrifugal compressors are well suited to engines that run at more constant RPM and loads, Rollsroyce dart turboprop, Allison 250 etc etc, there operating rpm hardly changes over the output, and they still need features like blowoff valves, and variable guide vanes.

Is there a way to make a twin screw supercharger with parts from a hardware store?
I haven’t seen screws big enough at the hardware store to use as a high volume compressor. LOL

The Lysholm/Whipple superchargers use screw and auger rotors to compress the air down the length of the case.
The Eaton/TVS superchargers use high helix 4 lobe rotors and are considered twin screw.

Last edited:
Terribly wasteful
Overdriving and clipping has been used on the street for some time. It provides a power band width close to a turbocharger
A wastegate regulated turbocharger and a wastegate boost limited centrifugal supercharger use the same width of the compressor map.

The flow of a centrifugal compressor is proportional to the square of the impeller speed but the engine pumping volume is proportional to the engine’s rpm so the resulting supercharger pressure is also proportional to the engine rpm.

Last edited:
Look for a junkyard Eaton M90. its perfect;y sized. We had there here on Holden Commodore V6's (similar to the Buick v6) I have a customers engine which will have one mounted on the lower left hand side of the engine near the oil filter boss, its gear driven off a custom timing case.

Look for a junkyard Eaton M90. its perfect;y sized. We had there here on Holden Commodore V6's (similar to the Buick v6) I have a customers engine which will have one mounted on the lower left hand side of the engine near the oil filter boss, its gear driven off a custom timing case.
That may be the route I go for now. I've heard that you can get them pretty cheap.

Yeah, you're not doing something that requires splitting hairs here. Find a way to get boost into it, and see where it gets you. It's like learning to drive, and you don't know what car or truck you will like best until you've had a chance to drive some. The first time you do boost is a lot like a first time EFI; you have to get something on there as easily and quickly as you can, so you have your 'Aha!' moments and a benchmark of what it really does and how you would do it differently with your new knowledge. Then with that enthusiasm tweak parts of it, enjoy it as-is, or do it again. 😁

Yeah, you're not doing something that requires splitting hairs here. Find a way to get boost into it, and see where it gets you. It's like learning to drive, and you don't know what car or truck you will like best until you've had a chance to drive some. The first time you do boost is a lot like a first time EFI; you have to get something on there as easily and quickly as you can, so you have your 'Aha!' moments and a benchmark of what it really does and how you would do it differently with your new knowledge. Then with that enthusiasm tweak parts of it, enjoy it as-is, or do it again. 😁
This is probably what I'll end up doing. It will be awhile because I am still getting my pop-up carport built. If I was going to make one from scratch, I was going to work on it in the mean time. But if I'm going to buy one, I'll have to wait to install it.

Back