Finally – It’s Alive! - Can't get it to Run

Boy this “One Offâ€￾ stuff takes forever.

Well I have been able to drive the car a few times now. After the initial quick timing by ear, I was able to notice quite a bit of additional torque the makes it easier to get going with these tall gears. I have been changing a couple of things which will help me with the tuning.

I have since installed a SunPro tach that doesn’t seem to want to work properly with my Jacobs ignition. The readings are at times correct but mostly hovering at 4K continuously. I have done a better job of routing the plug wires with the idea being that the EMF is effecting its operation. We’ll see this weekend.

I had also discovered that the 1.02 Autolite manual choke carb has main jets that are so small I can’t find replacements for tuning. These jets are closer to the physical size of the 5200 and Weber series jet size. I had also discovered a vacuum leak at the base on the choke side. Both of these problems prompted the rebuild of a 1.08 Autolite. The 1.08 is actually a closer fit for CFM (287 cfm) between 5200 and 5600 rpm and 92% efficiency. I can fix the vacuum leak and continue with the tuning since this model has the common jet size.

I finished the assembly of the 1.08 Autolite last night. This version included an automatic choke which I thought would be nice to have. NOT! With the added width of the choke assembly the carb no longer fits. It is just enough added width to interfere with the shock tower. I’ll convert that back to the manual tonight. I don’t actually need a choke. The car has been starting right off the bat without one.

I am taking this weekend off so I’m sure I can perform some serious tuning. With a working tach I will be able to get a better idea of how this thing is performing. There is a point at the top end of the rpm range that it sounds like the beginning a resonate vibration. I have a felling this is just timing curve.

This is the interesting part of this work, the tuning.

Later, Ric.

Well, I have gone to the second 2V carb. I think I have gone from one problem to another. The first 2V had a slight vacuum leak and jets that could not be replaced due to their physical size. This first carb also did not need to be choked to start and ran rich at idle.

The second 2V with the slightly higher CFM rating definitely needs to be choked to start as well as to run at all. Disconnecting the ported vacuum advance doesn't change the way it runs at all. Another vacuum leak but I can't find where it's coming from!

Unless I have an epiphany, I will have to bite the bullet and order the correct intake.

Any suggestions to get this thing running?

Thanks, Ric.

Back