Ford 223 flywheel

Paps61

Does anyone know where I can purchase a new 223 flywheel(manual trans 3 spd.)

I’m trying to install a new starter ring gear and it won’t fit, inside diameter too small on new ring gear!

Last edited:
Can you provide some specifics? I'm assuming you're asking about a flywheel for a manual transmission, correct me if I'm wrong. Do you know what clutch size, or doesn't it matter? The good news is, the same flywheel is used for 272, 292 (312?) v8 Y-block engines so that should help broaden the search.

If you don't mind aftermarket, John Mummert shows aluminum and billet steel flywheels on his site http://www.ford-y-block.com/Fws-dampers.htm

Lou Manglass

Can you provide some specifics? I'm assuming you're asking about a flywheel for a manual transmission, correct me if I'm wrong. Do you know what clutch size, or doesn't it matter? The good news is, the same flywheel is used for 272, 292 (312?) v8 Y-block engines so that should help broaden the search.

If you don't mind aftermarket, John Mummert shows aluminum and billet steel flywheels on his site http://www.ford-y-block.com/Fws-dampers.htm

Lou Manglass
Lou sorry about that I should have included more detail. I actually figured out my issue. I spoke with John Mummert yesterday and he has run into this issue before. There seems to be some flywheels( manual trans) that are slightly larger in diameter. The starter ring gear I bought from autozone or Napa, which is a pioneer brand measured at 13.352” I.d., John referred me to a clutch shop that has also run into this issue and they had a starter ring gear that was custom made by LSC performance that had a 13.475” I.d.I haven’t installed it yet but definitely lines up and looks to be correct so I’ll follow up once it’s installed. I could use John mummerts flywheel if this doesn’t work out, but mine was in good shape and already resurfaced, the starter ring gear just had a couple chipped teeth. I’m upgrading to a y block mini starter. Thank you for your response and info!

-Paps61

Last edited:
I guess that explains why there were 3 part numbers! One for the reg. clutch, one for the HD clutch, and another just because!

I guess that explains why there were 3 part numbers! One for the reg. clutch, one for the HD clutch, and another just because!
It’s possible. Mine has a 10” clutch, but as far as replacement starter ring gears there is only one listed. There are no ford identifying numbers on my flywheel so I’m wondering if at some point it was replaced with an aftermarket but it’s just a guess. Do you know if the factory flywheels are marked with any ford part #’s ?

I won't be near my parts book again until Saturday night but as soon as I can, I'll share the information that's there. It was a little hard to read but included clutch sizes and flywheel diameters. I'll also check on the ring gear. If there are any numbers on the flywheel, they are probably casting or engineering numbers which may, or may not, be helpful.

The following information is from the "1958 Ford Trucks Parts and Accessories Catalog." They list 2 flywheels that fit F100, F250, F350 and a third without model information that is described as: "Use with positive action starter." I'll translate into English as the catalog is a really rough read.

B4A-6375-B
Model Information: F100, F250, F350, B500, B600, all P-series. F100 with overdrive & 11" clutch. F100 with 3 speed light duty trans & 11" clutch. F100, F250 with 4 speed helical trans & 11" clutch.
Engines: 223, 272, 292.
Description: Used with 11" clutch. .060" x 45 degree chamfer on 2.126" I.D. crankshaft side. Six 5/16"-18 attaching holes for 12 3/8" diameter pressure plate.

B4A-6375-C
Model Information: F100, F250, F350 (w/o Ford-O-Matic trans)
Engines: 223
Description: Six 5/16"-18 attaching holes for 11 3/8" diameter pressure plate. (I think this is the 10" clutch).

B6J-6375-A
Model Information: None (One size fits all?)
Engines: 223, 272, 292
Description: Use with positive action starter. Six 5/16"-18 attaching holes for 11 3/8" diameter pressure plate AND six 5/16"-18 for 12 3/8" diameter pressure plate.

It appears that any of these would work on a 223 with the appropriate clutch.

Ring Gear - As you mentioned, they only list one ring gear. EAA-6384-A: no model information, fits 223, 272, 292 engines, 146 teeth.

That's all I can find and doesn't really solve the mystery of the odd diameter flywheel. These engines were used in trucks up to 1964 and later for industrial purposes. If I can get my hands on a later catalog that has more information, I'll post it here when I can.

Lou Manglass

The following information is from the "1958 Ford Trucks Parts and Accessories Catalog." They list 2 flywheels that fit F100, F250, F350 and a third without model information that is described as: "Use with positive action starter." I'll translate into English as the catalog is a really rough read.

B4A-6375-B
Model Information: F100, F250, F350, B500, B600, all P-series. F100 with overdrive & 11" clutch. F100 with 3 speed light duty trans & 11" clutch. F100, F250 with 4 speed helical trans & 11" clutch.
Engines: 223, 272, 292.
Description: Used with 11" clutch. .060" x 45 degree chamfer on 2.126" I.D. crankshaft side. Six 5/16"-18 attaching holes for 12 3/8" diameter pressure plate.

B4A-6375-C
Model Information: F100, F250, F350 (w/o Ford-O-Matic trans)
Engines: 223
Description: Six 5/16"-18 attaching holes for 11 3/8" diameter pressure plate. (I think this is the 10" clutch).

B6J-6375-A
Model Information: None (One size fits all?)
Engines: 223, 272, 292
Description: Use with positive action starter. Six 5/16"-18 attaching holes for 11 3/8" diameter pressure plate AND six 5/16"-18 for 12 3/8" diameter pressure plate.

It appears that any of these would work on a 223 with the appropriate clutch.What

Ring Gear - As you mentioned, they only list one ring gear. EAA-6384-A: no model information, fits 223, 272, 292 engines, 146 teeth.

That's all I can find and doesn't really solve the mystery of the odd diameter flywheel. These engines were used in trucks up to 1964 and later for industrial purposes. If I can get my hands on a later catalog that has more information, I'll post it here when I can.

Lou Manglass
What I do know about the trucks is this: the payload determined the sizes of the flywheel and clutches used. The stock F100s came with standard duty 10" Clutches when they got shipped out of the factory with passenger car tires and standard payload capacity. The trucks with the load range C 6.70x15 truck tires also used the same flywheel and clutch. But if you got the truck with the 6.50x16 load range C truck tires and heavier duty springs, you got the 11 inch clutch and flywheel for the heavier payload, and a 4 speed transmission. Now some trucks had a medium duty 3 speed which might account for the slightly bigger 10 inch flywheel.

Thank you both for the info, I’m wondering if my flywheel was replaced at one point possibly with an aftermarket one? I spoke with two guys regarding this issue they have come across quite a bit. The ring gear I bought and now I can confirm it fits because it is now installed and engine is running! The ring gear I bought came from LSC performance and the I.d. Is 13.475”
In case anyone else runs into this.

In case others come across the same issue, after I replied here, I received a Dennis Carpenter Ford Reproduction catalog I had requested in my postal mail. While I was looking up something for another post, I noticed a ring gear listed for trucks with the Ford-O-Matic transmission. The flywheel for the Ford-O-Matic equipped trucks with the 223 six is slightly different, sizewise, which may account for the confusion in the ring gears. That ring gear that was a bit small is for the trucks with automatic transmissions. The same applies to the Mercury badged trucks in Canada.

Back