Gasket-Matching an Exhaust Manifold

jamyers

1K+
VIP
Subscriber
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
(Mods: If this isn't hard enough tech, feel free to move this thread to wherever it belongs)

If I can do it, anybody can!

Here are some pictures of a 200-250 exhaust manifold that I did some very mild porting (gasket-matching) on to show my nephew what I was talking about.

Simply put, you lay the gasket on the sealing surface, mark the inside diameter of the gasket onto the exposed port surface, and then grind away the inside of the port until its opening matches the opening of the gasket (hence the name...) On virtually every engine I've ever seen, the gasket openings are bigger than the head and manifold ports/openings. As long as you leave enough meat to seal (1/8 inch min), you'll be ok.

Racers will often open up both the ports in the head and manifolds, but for a street engine it's usually enough (and better) to only open up the port on the "downstream" side of the gasket, ie; the head side of the intake gasket and the exhaust manifold side of the exhaust gasket. This is because the "ledge" of the 'upstream' part will act like a one-way valve on the flow and reduce what's called reversion (think backwash). Reversion happens because the flow through an engine isn't continuous - valves open and close, and the flow starts/stops, plus there are pressure waves flying up and down the ports, but that's a whole 'nother science. Simply put, on a street engine, leaving the 'upstream' port smaller than the 'downstream' port is the thing to do.

Note: Ford 6 exhaust manifolds are the worst I know of for having itty-bitty port openings that are off-center and even off-square from the gasket and head. Their casting tolerances must have been huge - and there's a LOT to be gained from opening these things up.

ANYWAY:

I like a 3/8" carbide bit in an air die-grinder, usually 45-60 psi spins it fast enough to cut well but not so fast it'll get away from me.

Here's an exhaust port (#5, I think) on a manifold that's been run maybe 30 miles on an engine and then pulled. Note the soot outline around the port - that's where exhaust gasses have "tripped" trying to get out of the head, and that's what we're going to remove. You can see two shades of soot, the darker one is where the manifold is actually in the way of the flow, and the lighter one is out of the direct flow path, but the gasket is holding the manifold off from the head.

Same port with the gasket laid over it. The roof of the passage aligns well, but there's a LOT of material that can be removed from the sides and bottom. Take a scribe and draw a line around the inside of the gasket's opening.

Here I've held the die grinder at a 45-degree angle and gone around the port opening, cutting out to the line I scribed earlier. Makes you wonder how these engines ran at all, doesn't it?

Here I've ground the inside of the port out to about 1/2-inch inside the manifold, trying to smooth any corners in there I could reach, smooth any casting flash/ledges, etc. Note the hump in the floor inside the port, that's where the manifold is cast with a dimple for the bolt to go. If you're going all-out you might reduce it down, but I don't want to weaken the manifold, so I'm just smoothing it as much as possible. Darned sure don't want to break through anywhere! (note I haven't finished reaching the scribed line at all points - but I did before I finished!)

I didn't get a picture of the final smoothing of the port opening, but I used a stone and then an 80-grit sanding tip to smooth the port entry and everything inside the manifold I could reach.

The whole idea is to make it as easy as possible for exhaust gasses to get out of the engine as smoothly as possible, and if there are any ledges/lips, they're facing so that they interrupt flow going backwards.

Here's what we did on the same manifold outlet end. Again, Ford's casting tolerances must have been enormous - on one side of the outlet, the ledge that the exhaust pipe butts up against is just over 1/8 inch, on the other side it's about 7/16 inch.

On the other hand, there's a TON of space inside the manifold, and most of the ports flow smooth and straight towards the outlet. (unlike some GM 350 manifolds I know of...)

Here's the opening as cast, note the offset passage inside there:

Here it is after taking an angle cut all the way around, removing most of the huge lip at the outlet. Still some metal upstream to remove, but 90% of the metal removal is done.

Here's a look at the side of where the huge lip was, showing how far up inside we had to go to get rid of the lip.

Here's the outlet after rough cutting with the carbide burr, no more huge lip to needlessly choke the exhaust gasses.

Later on we went back over every part we could reach with a stone and sander to get it all silky smooth (well, maybe not silky, but...).

Porting this whole manifold took a little over 2 hours, including taking pictures. This wasn't the most scientific job, just a simple gasket-match and cleanup - all that 90% of engines need. The most time-consuming part is the smoothing with a stone and sandpaper tip. A carbide burr will remove a LOT of material in a very short amount of time, but with a little practice it's very manageable.

I don't have any definitive numbers showing an improvement, but I figure it sure can't hurt, and looking at these Ford manifolds, surely to goodness it's got to help! I can say that on a Buick 350 I know of, exhaust manifold porting like I've shown here made a noticeable difference in the idle and off-idle throttle response - enough to warrant revisiting the carb settings!

asa67_stang wuz here!

Nice!! I did this on mine as well but neglected to take pictures. I had it off anyhow, figured I might as well. The donut sealing area had a bunch of rust and previous gasket material on it and I tried to get a better seal. Turns out that the flange surface wasn't level. Gotta get that milled.

Looks good, good workmanship.

You caught on quick about tool speed, enough to work and still control. Most people go max then curse chatter and ruined cutters and stone blow-up at high RPMs

You wore dust mask and goggles, right?

Thanks! When I started grinding/porting, I "practiced" on the outside of heads, removing the casting flash and other sharp edges, varying air pressure and speed until I figured out what I was doing. I still do that, starting on the outside of a piece, because cast iron varies quite a bit from one part to another, and one make to another (ie, ch*vy cast iron is soft like play-dough, and Buick or Cadillac has so much nickel in it it's like...well, iron.)

I love and use carbide burrs a lot more than stones because you can vary the amount you're removing a lot more - just because you can hog out a ton of iron doesn't mean you need to, just go slowly and let the tool do the work - nice and easy.

Thad":1v7ywfyq said:
You wore dust mask and goggles, right?
err....what? :D Seriously, I do. I like my eyes, and want to keep them. Also, I figure breathing is a good thing. If you think likewise, wear goggles and a mask also.

;) You'll have to pardon an old furt, I've done stupid things and lucked out but had friends who ran out of luck. So try to keep the rest of my friends safe.

Hey, from one old furt to another, no problem! I'm so used to doing stuff like goggles and masks that I forget that others may not.

Thanks for the reminder!

hey- thanks for takin the time to share yer observations. ill be doing the same, when i got to put all the stock crap back on for #$$@!! emmissions....

Hey Jamyers,
great stuff. Its this sort of simple yet effective tech stuff that I love to see done because it demonstrates that there is a lot we can do. I think I saw someone else state on another thread that every little thing we do to improve things is worth it, 'cos it adds up over time. Wish I'd read this thread a while ago when I had my exhaust manifold off to put a new gasket on. At least now I have a good excuse to buy that Dremel (or similar) to do something like this next time I have the manifold off. Then the skills learnt on the manifold can be used in some basic porting of the head if I ever get it off. Thanks for the post, really enjoyed it!

Regards,

Teddy :D

Mutt, Teddy,

Thanks for the kind words! I don't know if a Dremel would have the power to do this with any speed, I really like my air die grinder at about 50psi for most work with a carbide burr.

Heck, a gasket is only about $10 US, and yanking the manifold will give you a chance to see how the anti-seize is working! :LOL: (just kidding)

TeddyXY71":2kgxaxbi said:
Hey Jamyers, I have a good excuse to buy that Dremel (or similar) to do something like this next time I have the manifold off.
Regards,

Teddy :D

I'd agree with Jamyers here. The Dremel doesn't have the power to work with cast iron effectively. Mine is at its limit with sheet metal; I don't expect that it would last long on something thick. Don't let my opinion stop you though; prove me wrong! A Dremel is more cost-effective for light jobs and is very good for porting and polishing (ESPECIALLY WITH THE FLEX EXTENSION hint hint :roll: ). You don't want to take off too much there, and a light touch will help you do a better job. Or at least not mess it up.

Thanks for the info guys. Will definitely keep that in mind if/when it comes to buying a few things.......

Regards,

Teddy :)

The better the shed, the less reasons to go into the house (and get nagged).

excellence in know how too you jamers. i did the gasket matching to my spare manifolds, one big observation i have made is the amount of grinding involved. i have a C3 manifold and it would need alot of grinding compaired to a C8 manifold that does not need as much. about 60% less.
i hope this information helps someone.

Back