Head Swap Pointers

Oh, and my wife had some cardboard cake rounds. Perfect size for the wheel I printed. Just need to destroy a wire hanger to make a pointer and that should be money. Will use a piece of deck plank, drill some holes in it, and viola, a piston stop. Progress is good. Now if only I were ever given more than 5 minutes at any given moment to do anything....

cr_bobcat":2n0cq87u said:
Head off. Time to start measuring. Appears that the cylinders are stock bore. I checked #1 and got 3.6795. There's a little lip of carbon at the top and I think my telescoping gague is collapsing slightly as.i remove it.

Can i just run some scotchbrite over that?

http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/cr_bobcat/library/Head Install

the cylinders all look good, i would leave them alone at this point.

does your gauge have a lock on it so you can lock it into one position? if so then when you get the best fit for the cylinder, lock it down and angle it out of the bore.

It does have a lock. I'll give it a couple more tries. As soon as I can get 2 or 3 consistent measurements, I'll call it a success.

I did measure the piston to deck height. It's coming out higher than I expected so I'm going to try a few more times and with different cylinders. First few times i measured on #1 I got 0.035". Seems high to me but we'll see...

cr_bobcat":n2svqw76 said:
It does have a lock. I'll give it a couple more tries. As soon as I can get 2 or 3 consistent measurements, I'll call it a success.

I did measure the piston to deck height. It's coming out higher than I expected so I'm going to try a few more times and with different cylinders. First few times i measured on #1 I got 0.035". Seems high to me but we'll see...

.035" isnt bad actually. what you need to do is compare your measurement to the specs. the falcon six handbook should have the specs somewhere.

Specs are 0.020" for a deck height with a stock piston compression height of 1.511. Aftermarket pistons are advertised as 1.500. Which would add up to 0.031 if everything was perfectamundo. I tried to eliminate error by measuring the piston as close to where I zero'd on the deck because the mounting arm isn't perfectly parallel to the block. (Ie. Deck doesn't measure 0 on the other side of the bore)

I aslo snapped some pics of the valves. The exhaust valves are almost white. I don't know what that means. Uploading them now to the same library as previously posted.

Hmmm....I see them. Try again and let me know. It's just weird how different in color they are from the intake. I would have never caught it if I wasn't looking to document my existing setup so that I could do a comparison

I think I checked all 8 chapters:

Albums
Cylinder Head Port and Polish (24)
DataPlots (3)
Head Install (14)
HEI Pics (16)
Machine Work (9)
Pacemaker Install on US Mustang (5)
RAU Install (26)
Rocker Arms (21)

Which chapter?

Head Install. ----- but they're all purty :-D

Just took a new measurement on#2. It was 0.020". Afraid I might have a mixed bag of pistons. 0.020" is EXACTLY what should show up with a stock piston and stock block. I was told the engine was "rebuilt" when I bought it 25 yrs ago. Heaven only knows what tht means.....

cr_bobcat":36h4fyqg said:
I aslo snapped some pics of the valves. The exhaust valves are almost white. I don't know what that means. Uploading them now to the same library as previously posted.

that is actually normal. remember the exhaust valve runs hotter than the intake does, and as a result the carbon tends to burn off more completely thus the white ash that is stuck to the valve.

rbohm I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but i love your quote from Blazing Saddles. Some of Gene Wilder's best stuff.

i always thought it wuz Rich's own…
:LOL:
just saw Stir Crazy, Ahhh - the '80s!
No "Politically Correct" then re: our race relations
(remember, there wuz Blazing Saddles too)
something nice abt that (less tension?).

HowdyBobcat and All:

Sorry to be so late in chiming in, but I have to ask, How did you get your chambers down to 48cc? Milling? In any case it is a good idea to invest in a bottom tap to clean out the bottom of the head bolt holes. A bottom tap looks like any tap except that the end is flat. Bottoming out the head bolt when torquing is not uncommon. Cleaning out the holes will help but you may also need hardened washer with the bolts depending on specs. Measure twice, look often and pre-fit everything.

Good luck and keep us posted. I'm enjoying your adventure.

Adios, David

cr_bobcat":2hkowmq1 said:
rbohm I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but i love your quote from Blazing Saddles. Some of Gene Wilder's best stuff.

the qoute is actually one of hedly lamars(harvey korman) qoutes in the movie. the one where he is trying to figure out how to get all the land around rock ridge.

Hey David! Welcome to the party!

Yeah. I had it milled 0.070". Went from roughly 61cc to 48 cc. I don't know if the machinist checked all of them though. #1 and #6 both were 1/2 cc larger than the other 4.

Good call on the thread chaser. I will be going with ARP studs that I got from Mike awhile back. But I'll chase them anyway.

So deck prep....

Brake cleaner and a lint-free cloth? Can I use scotchbrite? Any other recommendations?

If I use brake cleaner do I need to give the surface a light coat of WD-40 as long as I wipe clean before putting on the gasket?

I think the amount of crud from the old gasket is throwing off my piston to deck clearance measurements. Well, that and the amount of carbon on the piston face. Doesn't need to be perfect but reckon I ought to give it a little TLC...

use a product called gasket remover. its made by mr gasket(iirc), and it does a great job of removing the old gasket material. be careful not to get it on your skin though, it does a wonderful job of removing skin as well.

once the gasket remover is removed from the surface, you can then use a scotch brite pad to finish the surface prep.

These lifters are a major PITA. Tried a magnet. Didn't work. Got a 5lb magnet. Didn't work. I go to the auto parts store to get a lifter puller and they look at me like I just asked them for the atomic mass of beryllium. "you mean like an engine puller?". Not really. But now that I say that, that might be what I need to pull these stubborn little buggers out.

Anyway, I'll be ordering one of the slide-hammer pullers today. I already asked around with a few friends and they don't have one. Guess I've got a couple days more of downtime... :banghead:

Back