Help my diagnose my 170 falcon problem!

Can I hook up the vacuum gauge directly to the distributor? What should it read if so? I'm looking for a way to diagnose if this setup is working as it should. Load-o-matic.

Can anybody tell me what the proper vacuum should be right off the distributor? That website is great and it explained a lot, but not to much on troubleshooting them.

I think that's a difficult one to answer. It depends on ported vs manifold and engine load. Right now my vacuume advance kicks in at around 5". That number is also with no load (ie. Me just dialing up idle). It's a different question to ask what manifold vacuume should be. I don't actually know what the nominal values should be (which is build dependant), but it's important to know these points as far as my limited experience says. You're at least asking in the right place....

Drove the car around all weekend. The car acts completely the same with the vacuum line disconnected from the carb to the distributor. So I'm not sure if I'm heading down the right path still or not. Also, can anybody recommend a better set of plugs then the Autolites? I just want to try something different.

Back