All Small Six Help: shaft rocker pressure bleed off hole necessary?

This relates to all small sixes
Distributor gear. Not sure how much oil, if any, gets past the gear to the lower shaft to the oil pump. There is a tiny oil hole in the lower shaft alignment hole in the block. Rebuild a 170 that had a clog in the shaft oil hole that caused the shaft to crack out the side of the hex bore for the oil pump shaft.

But most of all, oil to the gears.

Last edited:
I'm not sure just when the change happened. But the 70s heads I have taken apart had standard supports at the front, not the oil dump one I've seen on 60s heads. I wonder, did Ford make the change because it was unnecessary for oiling purposes, or to save two bits on parts?

I wonder, did Ford make the change because it was unnecessary for oiling purposes, or to save two bits on parts?
That's the question...

Will be installing the rockers tomorrow, at the moment I'm leaning towards removing the plug, because as drag200 said, when the oil gets hot it should flow easier anyways...

Just instaled the assembly without the plug. Since all oiling holes got oil while 59 degree ambient temperature, I think everything should be ok when the engine/oil is at operation temperature. And the distributor gear should also stay happy.

Thanks everyone for the input, helpful as always!

Back