I blew it up. Big time!

A

Anonymous

We took the Stang to the track a few weeks ago (on my trailer)and I was wanting some good times out of it. I had worked on it all week long to get it ready. I had the wide band on it, straight 110 race gas, and brought all the stuff to change the timing and jets ect. It rained almost the whole way on the drive up there and after the first quick test pass it started to rain at the track. I knew I could get just one more last pass in before we had to load it up and leave. So I decided to just crank it up and make one last pass. I knew it was probably going to hurt it (I was thinking head gasket)but I did it anyway. Turned up the boost to I don't know what and heated the bottle up. Well, after a bad launch of spinning and having to let out and get back in it I hit second and sprayed it. It was pulling STRONG but started to miss and cut out so I let off the nitrous. Shifted to third and saw that the LS1 Camaro that was getting smoked was starting to pull back. It was stupid but I hit the go button again at the end of the track. Not long after that it started the missing and popping again so no sooner than I could let off the button BOOOM it popped and quit running. I knew it was done then. After looking at it we saw that the no. 1 rod had broke and done some damage. It broke the cam in half and sent the timing chain through the front cover and water and oil was pouring out from the holes in the oil pan. Woops! :oops: Amaizingly the $11 cast pistons are still fine!!! Well, while it is down I want to really do some stuff it has needed for a while. Trying to lay it down on the 13" tires and stock "open" rear end has been getting very hard and is just not much fun now. I know this car would cut some very good 60's if I could launch it hard and under some boost. I have a 3.27 track lock Fox body rear end and front disk brakes that need to be on it. It also needs subframes if I am going to launch it the way needs to be launched. I am going to build a VERY strong new short block for it and would like to build a header so I could get rid of the stock manifold. Well, thats what I have been up to! :LOL: Guess I need to get to work!

Dan

it was better when disney told it. something involving lots of giggling from him. one thing is for sure dan if anyone has put the work and effort into a trubo setup it is you.

62fairlane170":1byp6p25 said:
it was better when disney told it. something involving lots of giggling from him. one thing is for sure dan if anyone has put the work and effort into a trubo setup it is you.

I am sure it was a VERY good story if Disney told you! :LOL: I have put a lot of time and a little bit money in it but I also get a LOT of help from my friends. I don't know what it is about this car but it just gets everyone motivated to work on it. I have a week off next month so I was going to really throw down on it. One of my friends is going to take a week off at the same time just to help with all of it!!!! :eek: That's dedacation to the Import Killer!!!

Dan

Looks like you got a little greedy Dan!
Keep up the good work and get that ride back on the track ASAP.
You can't learn anything if you don't push the limits!
Post some pics of the carnage!
Later,
Will

:LOL: Yea Will, I kind of got a LOT greedy. I wish I didn't now but oh well. It has been very hard for me to get the time to work on it and get to the track the past few months. So after I fianally got the time to do it and everything together and ready to go I wanted to push it hard because I did not know when I gould get back to the track again. Like I said I was planning on slowly sneaking up on the tune but the weather was just not going to give us any time at all so I just turned it up to make one good pass before we had to load it up and drive back home. I knew it was probably going to hurt something but I was thinking a head gasket or a burned piston. It turned out to be a little worse! :oops: I have been wanting to do some major work to it for a while anyways but I always find a way of getting it back running fast and cheap witch always sounds good to me. I love to drive it more than work on it but it is time to step it up a little! I think Disney has som pics. I will ask him in the next day or two. I have never seen a timing chain blown out the front of an engine before! As greedy as I can get sometimes this it the first engine I have ever blown up.

Dan

you never happened to mention the times? This is not the way you inspire people to build inline 6's Dan.... HOOORAAAYYYY I just built an inline 6 lets go to the track and see how much nitrous and boost I can shove down it!!! greedy, greedy, Dan.... All kidding aside I hope you get it back on the road, and SUCSESSFULLY making passes again... Tommy

didn't you split the crank or something? or was it the cam? tosseda rod in my old 84 tbird once....just welded up the side of the block and tossed a used rotating assembly in it and went back to driving it for about 4 months until my new engine was ready to go in

Dan, what was the best 1/4 time and MPH you got out of it before it blew?

I once emailed you looking for a manifold, but you never got back to me....I am "Linc's 84 351" on turbomustangs.com

(Check out my 200 turbo project, just a couple posts down)

Hope to have some more updates, but keep having to work long hours...bummed

import killer":36c96wsb said:
Turned up the boost to "I don't know what"

Do you run a boost gauge?? I am sure you do......
How much boost do you normally run without nitrous?
How much boost with nitrous?

hasa68mustang":8o24oj4f said:
you never happened to mention the times? This is not the way you inspire people to build inline 6's Dan.... HOOORAAAYYYY I just built an inline 6 lets go to the track and see how much nitrous and boost I can shove down it!!! greedy, greedy, Dan.... All kidding aside I hope you get it back on the road, and SUCSESSFULLY making passes again... Tommy

:LOL: :LOL: :oops: Sorry! GAAA!!

Well, spinning off the line it was the worst 60' it has ever cut with almost a 2.5 60' but bumping the spray in second gear picked it up to a 8.90 in the 1/8th @ 85mph and that is the best ET/mph it has done yet. Sad but true. :roll: I REALLY wished I had more time to mess with it at the track to get some good times with it but it just did not happen. I am going to get a good rear end under it so I can launch it hard. If it can run 85mph not even trying I know it will run waay better next time.

Dan

62fairlane170":3nw2mth0 said:
didn't you split the crank or something? or was it the cam? tosseda rod in my old 84 tbird once....just welded up the side of the block and tossed a used rotating assembly in it and went back to driving it for about 4 months until my new engine was ready to go in

Na, just the #1 rod. It swung around and broke the cam and pushed the timing chain out the front. :shock:

Dan

Linc's 200":2vn9k6e6 said:
Dan, what was the best 1/4 time and MPH you got out of it before it blew?

I once emailed you looking for a manifold, but you never got back to me....I am "Linc's 84 351" on turbomustangs.com

(Check out my 200 turbo project, just a couple posts down)

Hope to have some more updates, but keep having to work long hours...bummed

It stopped running way before the 1/4 so it coasted to a 14.0 @ 77mph. I know what you mean about working all the time. I hardly ever have time!

Dan

Linc's 200":2t8sq8t7 said:
import killer":2t8sq8t7 said:
Turned up the boost to "I don't know what"

Do you run a boost gauge?? I am sure you do......
How much boost do you normally run without nitrous?
How much boost with nitrous?

Yea, I was in a huge hurry the run it let go. The stock four main 200 I put in it when I first did all the turbo stuff I ran 14psi a few times and 12psi with a 40 shot. It was still running when I took it out, it just had some smoked rings. The seven main 200 that broke had a 280 cam with flat tops. I built that motor for N/A and nitrous a few years ago but I put it back in after the stock one started to go just to get it back running and to see what would happen with the big cam and more compression with the turbo. It ran great. I was only running 7-8psi. When it broke was the first time I tried to spray it with the same 40 shot.

Dan

Dang man, so the 7 main motor is toast...suck. Are you goin back to the 4 main for a little or do you have another motor up your sleave? You COASTED to a 14 in the quarter...thats better than I could an under power, lol. Let us know when you get things back again!
Matt

66Sprint6":3rs78v1i said:
Dang man, so the 7 main motor is toast...suck. Are you goin back to the 4 main for a little or do you have another motor up your sleave? You COASTED to a 14 in the quarter...thats better than I could an under power, lol. Let us know when you get things back again!
Matt

Hey Matt what up! Yea, I messed it up good. I am going to build another motor for it and do it up RIGHT! Today I tore down the 200 that came in my car from '65. I am going to drop it off at the machine shop Monday. I want to get it all done by the end of July. I need to get on it!!!!

Dan

You would definitely have run a high 12 (or a low 8 ) if you had a good hook and the motor would have stayed together.

I have a really light Fox with a full rear suspension done and 3.73's in a spool on slicks (was a 351W car running low 11's), I was hoping to get at least a high 12 with the turbo six, but you (and Will 'does10s') have me thinking low 12's are in the game. It is street legal, so it should make for some interesting Saturday nights!

I am curious to see where the stock 200 lets go at. I have another 200 in the wings.

Linc's 200":43d3pj0v said:
You would definitely have run a high 12 (or a low 8 ) if you had a good hook and the motor would have stayed together.

I have a really light Fox with a full rear suspension done and 3.73's in a spool on slicks (was a 351W car running low 11's), I was hoping to get at least a high 12 with the turbo six, but you (and Will 'does10s') have me thinking low 12's are in the game. It is street legal, so it should make for some interesting Saturday nights!

I am curious to see where the stock 200 lets go at. I have another 200 in the wings.

Yea, Will's car is running realy good! I can only hope my junk will run near that good. A 12.xx street six is possible no problem. My stock 200 four main took 12psi and a 40 shot for a while! It never blew one head gasket the whole time. It was still running when I took it out but I think I broke a ring or two. :LOL:

Dan

Back