Idle quality on 200 inch six

I'd be happy if my engine could idle smoothly at 700rpm.
I attribute the problem in my case to poor fuel atomization.
The problem gets accentuated with a performance cam.
You have to tweak the idle circuits a fair bit.

Don't know if this will help but my first engine was a little rough. Added a weber carb, electronic ignition, wires, spark plugs,... standard tune up. Ran smooth. With the engine rebuilt, it idles really smooth once it warms up

I finally got around to doing the autolite 1100 SCV mod. I just used JB Weld marine epoxy to plug indicated vac holes. I now idle below
500 rpms in gear.

I have a 65 Mustang 200. Pertronix ign., Duraspark dist. Recurved, Crane 91 LX hi current coil, MSD 6A box. .050 gap on Autolite plugs.
600 RPM was as low an idle as I could attain. The conversion wasn't truly finished until I sealed those vac leaks in the 1100. I removed the choke for better breathing. Converted back to ported vac, as I was running engine non ported to dist, before. This combo is a large step upward in driveabilty!

Keep the LOM carb and swap to a Ford DS1 distributor that triggers either a GM HEI (standard 4-pin), a Ford DS box, an MSD, or just about any other electronic box. Just plug the carb's LOM port and run the distributor vacuum to the manifold.

That's what I had, but not quite so. I just plugged the LOM port before, and ran manifold unported vac.
Ported vac gives a reference point to the tune. I have about 15* initial advance. I modded the advance arm to limit full advance, in order to increase initial safely, on 87 octane unleaded pump gas.

JAGGUY":3lvujfbn said:
...does this old engine just not idle that smooth?
I have a '56 Jag with an inline six that will idle dead smooth @ 500 rpm all day long...

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

-greg

63falcon4drwagon":3lvujfbn said:
"How high it needs to be to clear the valve cover":
One and one half inch with a shorter Idle adjustment screw.
The throttle and choke screws are what hit the valve cover.
I can now shift into high at 70mph jump up to 85 then slow down.
It has much more full throttle higher rpm power than my Carter YFA.
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

I would not mill the log!
This log carb opening area is larger area of both throttle bores of a BBD.
The BBD venturi is smaller than the bore size. Make it simple.

file.php

[/quote]

63falcon4drwagon is the poster child for making a smooth idling I6 by adding another venturi (Ball and Ball BBD Carter 2-bbl) and cleaning up the short turn radius.

In my experience, no in line six idles well unless it has a two corner idle. Some versions of the 32/36, and most 5200 Holley Weber workalike carbs do.

Both legs of the log need to be free of the influence of the other.

See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79820&p=618156#p618156

In addition, his work on the SCV idle drillings has been copied by me many times

Back