Just getting started

Six_Shooter

I'm sure it's not the first time that title was used...but the first for me on here, new member and first post.
Let's get to business. I have a 1966 hardtop mustang, i6. Back in high school, my father in law replaced all 4-lug hardware with 5-lug v8 hardware. We didn't have a v8 at the time (and probably didnt want a 16 yo with a v8) so he used a i6 250 from a 74(?) maverick to drop in there.
Fast forward 15 years and I have now taken ownership of her and am beginning to put some time (and $) into getting her into better running form.
I would like this car to be a daily drivertaking, never going to be taking her to the strip or race track. I would love a descent amount of power but what is more important to me is dependability and not getting too complex, keeping it simple to work on.

Here is what I have done so far, and keep in mind EVERYTHING was stock and had been sitting for a while when I got it:
-replaced spark plugs, distributor wires, air filter, fuel filter
-replaced fuel tank, lead, and all tubing from tank to carb
-installed a Pertronix ignition ( no flame thrower though)
-replaced steering box (was in rough shape 15 years ago!)

Here is what I would like to do next:
-install a remanufactured carb (stock 1v, already have it)
-new shocks at all four corners
-headers (dual or single out?)
-exhaust system
-15x7 Torq Thrusts all around (hehe:)

I'm not really sure what to concentrate my effort and money on next or if there is something I am not listing that makes sense to do. When warm, there is a terrible hesitation under acceleration from about 1/3 to 2/3 depression of pedal. I mean, it will die if I don't let off or floor it past 2/. So I would like to get rid of that issue ASAP.
Any input would be appreciated and if there is more info needed let me know and I'll reply with it.

Welcome to the site! Since you have another carb would install it and get the tune right. After that and before driving it much on any car that's been sitting along time for safety reasons would make sure brakes are in top condition along with the tires and stocks also make sure front suspension and chassis parts are still tight. Sounds like you started doing all the right things so continue on and best of luck on your Mustang with the 250 in it's a very good combo. :nod:

on headers
http://www.classicinlines.com/products.asp?cat=53

exhaust systems
http://www.classicinlines.com/products.asp?cat=55

My top two for safe and pleasurable driving experience (given what you've already done) would be brakes and suspension as well. Nothing quite as un-nerving as lack of 'control'.

That's really cool you're starting out with a 250 in the well...I know plenty would like to have begun from there...having the 5 lug upgrade is another great plus 8) (y)

As for the lack of response...
Six_Shooter":4v5otcik said:
When warm, there is a terrible hesitation under acceleration from about 1/3 to 2/3 depression of pedal. I mean, it will die if I don't let off or floor it past 2/. So I would like to get rid of that issue ASAP.

EDIT: If the rebuilt [carb] you have is known to be in better condition, then might as well swap it out...BTW what carb is on it now and what rebuilt do you have to replace it with? Although your carb is not the only suspect for lack of get up and go, or cause of fall down and die (ignition)...but if it's part of the bigger plan, no time like the present.

Main thing I'd suggest as an overall approach in creating a decently performing 'daily driver'...small steps and keep it on the road. Too many projects start out with modest to grand plans only to be put up on blocks and moth balled. For me the best incentive in a 'driver' build is consistently getting to 'drive' it now and then and experience the improvements/mods...keep that carrot right out in front where you can see it ;)

Welcome Aboard :beer: More specs are always good...i.e what type of tranny, carb...if you didn't go with the Mav Dizzy, which one are you running? As they say, tell us more.

Thanks guys,
Yeah, forgot to mention that as part of "wake up" we checked the brakes and put new fluid in, bleed them and they are working great. That being said, they are original drums at all four. Question: we don't have the money now for a brake conversion but it is on the list, are there some kinda high-end brake pads you would suggest?.
I have definitely been driving it a few times a week, for grocery store runs and what not. So I'm pretty confident in her, but that damn hesitation is just terrible!
Here is a link to the carb I bought off summit:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-64-1435/
I'm going to try and get that installed this weekend.
Another Q, what about the flame thrower to go with the Pertronix? Worth it? Will I even see a difference? What do you guys think?

So, my game plan is as follows:
-get the new carb on there and adjust to perfection
-get some new shocks and install (suggestions on brand? I have stock coils)
-get some new brake pads (any specific kind? Suggestions?)
-headers
-exhaust
-rims & tires

Thanks!!!

I'm going to suggest taking at look at the accelerator pump on the carb for the hesitation, but since you're putting a new carb on, that won't matter much then, will it? ;)

There have been a few posts that people are saying that you should get your distributor recurved as a top priority.

I have never had one recurved, but by reading their posts they were chasing down 'fuel delivery' issues and later found that the distributor was sending out signals at all the wrong times and they have been very happy with the recurving results.

Personally I'd recurve before I replaced the coil.

And before you go head first into that header swap... perhaps ask if its best to put in better exhaust, or better cam/lifters first.. I seem to recall that there are several posters on here that say replacing the stock cam will really wake up the motor.

If I were performing the upgrades..
0. carb, since you already have it. :)
1. Brakes (I buy mine off the local parts dealer, whichever one has the friendliest staff)
2. Suspension (shocks in this case) see rule #1, but make sure you get at least lifetime warranty.
3. ensure good spark delivery (recurve and then assess if you think you need a higher power coil, FWIW, the Ford TFI coil can be made to work, and it is less than $20 last time I bought one-- see rule #1)
4. Cam and Lifters
5. Exhaust. I know that headers sound cool, but if the motor is still wheezing because you didn't do steps 0, 3, and 4 the performance will be diminished still. I'd rather have the power than the noise (but that's just me)
6. tires and rims, make sure what you buy is on par with the performance that you are now making. 15x7" torque thrusts will feel a lot nicer with more power going through them..(6 is really tied with 5 in my mind so long as you already have functional exhaust)

my .02
-ron

Welcome to the site!!!

Carb- the new one is meant to be with a cable setup, does it look like the same as what you have already? IDK but thought I'd mention that it won't work with the stock 66 mustang gas mech gas linkage... IMO I really liked the carter YF, it's a 215 CFM and on my engine it made 20HP more than the autolite 1100 (supposidly rated at 200cfm but I think it was more like 165cfm) and I would look into the dis re-curve first.

Shocks- the best ride would be an air ride, but for those that are cheap like me we use KYB-Gas-Adjust, they are about $50 a shock but worth it. a note tho, if your bushings are worn out on the car the shocks will go bad mighty quick. make sure everything is nice and tight. a bigger 1" front sway bar helps too.

Brakes- some like others I like the ceramic, I always went with auto zone, but after the 3rd set breaking on me I started going to Napa or the dealer and have been way happier. also worth the extra cost to replace the hardware on the brakes but that's more of a preference.

Headers/exhaust- good money spent but you won't see benefit until it breaths better either with cam or larger cfm carb, but I really like Classic Inlines header, replacing the gaskets when you have a leak is annoying but I just did it recently under 3hrs of my labor and I have AC to finagle with so it's not too bad. the sound is great and the larger pipe diameter gives it a nice beefy sound and many confuse it with a v8. I have dual 2 inch exhaust in straight through 14inch magnaflows with no X-H pipe, drone is annoying but I don't want to loose that big throaty sound when on the throttle.

Rims & tires- Plan ahead, you already know the rims, so are you looking for better MPG or comfort? MPG would be taller skinny, comfort would be fat/wide and medium, race would be fattest/widest and slick... etc... I suggest comfort to enhance your 'shocks' feel.

:beer: Hi six_shooter.Welcome aboard.We have an EXCELLENT collection of minds here where the Ford six engines are concerned.I would go so far as to say a"5 star Michelin rated" group.Great bunch of guys and gals.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Welcome AND enjoy!
Yeah, we need more details on "motor accessories" for more competent answers. May B the present carb is "good" or "better" than the one's new & off (don't know). May B the just the 'bars & rods' that run from gas ped to carb are bent...

Thanks all for your comments and thoughts!
I am well on my way. I just installed the new carb and it fit right in, nothing left me scratching my head at all just a straight swap. Started right up and man does she sound so much happier! After everything was warm, I didnt even feel any adjusting was necessary. The tag from the factory that was attached said I shouldn't have to mess with anything so it makes sense. So with everything thing sounding and feeling good, I went for a spin and....holly crappers! The hesitation is completely gone, no worries at all now! Just so impressed with the difference it has made.
With the input from a few of you folks, I have decided against the headers at least for now. I will be getting the exhaust system replaced from the manifold back. With some help of a trusted, local, muffler guy, I think im going with the stock exhaust manifold, Y'd out to dual magnaflow mufflers. I told him I wanted to hear the engine but I dont want anything really loud. He seemed to know exactly what I wanted when I said that so I feel im in good hands. Thoughts from ya'll?
On to the shocks i go!!!

Back