Head: 1978 Log
Transmission: 4cyl T5
Clutch: 1978 9" Fairmont
Rear end: Stock 3.89:1 Unlimited slip
Ignition: Duraspark II w/ GM module
Carburation: Autolite 1100
Exhaust: 1968 Log Manifold
Turbo: Garret T3, compressor A/R .42 Exhaust A/R .63

So, I took a bunch of pictures last night but I left the camera at work, so I will have to add those in later today. {added}

But my first real observation is this: Has anyone else noticed that by drilling a few holes and just a little creativity, you can bolt the T3 directly to the exhaust manifold?

I know that hasa68mustang bolted on an IHI by welding the appropriate flange to his manifold, but I was able to bolt a T3 in there without modifying the manifold at all.

What I did was drill two holes in the T3 flange to match the two 7/16" studs in the manifold. I then took a solid stainless steel donut gasket and ground it down so that it was flat on one side and tapered on the other.

I then lined it up where I wanted it, and welded it to the T3 flange. Now I can tell you that welding stainless steel to cast iron was an interesting experience - but not really all that bad. Interestingly enough - the difficult part about it was the SS. Now i've welded a lot of stainless stuff and its one of the easiest things to weld - but this stuff welded like poop. It must be some uber-crappy grade of SS or someting 'cause it just liked to burn and pop.

But, using a silicon-bronze rod, I was able to weld to the two together pretty easily.

So then, I slid the turbo up to the manifold and bolted it on. A whole lot easier than fabbing up a Jpipe and a lot cleaner looking too.

So, the jury is still out on whether it will fit in the car like this or not - but I am hopeful. I've done some measurement and it will be close, but it should fit.

I actually plan on moving the entire engine forward about 1" to help with bell clearance in this early chassis, so that should help me gain a little room. I am not opposed to cutting and welding the strut tower in order to make it fit, however.

At anyrate, the first iteration of this is going to be non intercooled, and I have a few questions:

1. This turbo does not have an integral wastegate. I am wondering if I can get by with just a BOV? I am only looking for about 10 psi.

2. I cannot find a solid float for the 1100. Is it possible to just boost reference the float by drilling a small hole in it at the top, above the fuel line? I don't really see why this would be a problem.

3. How much boost can I get away with simply referencing the stock fuel pump?

4. I know most people pull high pressure oil from the oil pressure sender port. I was wondering if there is a port on the pass side of the engine I could use for this purpose

5. Is -8 large enough for the oil return line? Mine is going to be really short given it's position

6. Is there anything to worry about hitting just below the pan rail on the pass side? Or can I just unabit my way in without fear?

7. Where have you guys been getting your AL intake plumbing?

That's all for now I suppose. Once I get to work this morning - I will suppliment with pictures. {here they are}

turbo13.jpg

turbo14.jpg

turbo15.jpg

turbo16.jpg

turbo17.jpg

turbo18.jpg

turbo19.jpg

turbo20.jpg

turbo21.jpg

1. you will need a wastegate or else you can overspin the turbo (you will also superheat the air) I would look into an external gate. I think there were some knock off ones on ebay for pretty cheap (38mm should do you real good)

2. if you could solder on a small brass pipe and run it up higher it might work...but I would be afraid of fuel splash getting in it still and slowly sinking the float.

3. seems people have been having issues trying to run a stock pump. I am running an electric pump and a aeromotive regulator (comes with springs for carb or EFI and runs about $100) if you go EFI later on it will work with that. I tried a stock pump and seemed to be chasing starvation problems at speed.

4. it really is a good place to pull it (and the only place) if you get a late model sender block you can mount your sender and brake line works as a good means to supply it (cheap and effective and doesn't burn)

5. -8 should be fine. I am running -10 but it is what I had around.

6. should be fine. make sure to go BETWEEN pan bolts and not directly under one

7. I am using steel tubing. AL tubing is $$$$. since you can weld and grind I would go steel and just paint it up body color. much easier to work with to protoype with.

looks like it hangs low but it should work. I always wanted to just grab a pair of cracked mani's (a 200 one an a 2.3L turbo one) and cut and weld the two together.

That looks great, nice simple idea, very inventive!

Only issue I see is the wastegate, which you must have as said above so it doesn't over spin the turbo.

An external gate is great when you have the ability to release presure before the turbo, however with your design you have no direct access point to plumb an external gate in. If you put a hole in the stock manifold and then put a external gate on that would work but it will mess with your nice clean and simple design.

Get an internally gated turbo exhaust housing or an adapter to added the required valve and be done with it.

Just my $.02

Right now I am contemplating just mounting an external 38mm gate as suggested to the manifold. I can drill and weld on a flange for it pretty easily.

that is the route I would go. I think someone was selling a knockoff for under $100 shipped before.

I got lucky and my TiAl came with my .57 trim and an intercooler for not a bad price. (along with some chrome tubing)

Anlushac11":17h17dvz said:
8)

I would Jet Hot coat exhaust side and get a thermal blanket to protect starter from heat off the turbo.

Heat Sheild for the starter is definately in the plan. Considering my employment - dealing with the heat is sorta second nature.

hasa68mustang":1nryh4z2 said:
you will find that you will need alot more crap than originally expected.

building a custom turbo system....

figure out how much crap you need and then times it by two....in other words ALOT of crap.

Oh yeah - i've done this shit before. Not a surprise.

My 2.25" exhaust parts showed up today. I need to get the damn thing in the car now I guess so I can figure out where the downpipe needs to go.

I would have it up and running this weekend I think, but work is calling for major overtime and my opportunity looks bleak.

www.masten-space.com/blog

I decided on a summit glasspack for a muffler. Im not sure exactly how great that is going to sound...

Good job on the turbo. Thats awesome that you found out that it bolts right onto the manifold! Anything happen last weekend?

No new progress. Work has been sucking up all my time.

Which sucks, 'cause I really want to get this thing fired up.

D'oh - doesn't fit.

BFH time. More on this in coming days.

Busted my compressor housing too. I guess I get to find out if it's a weldable alloy or not.

you better look for a replacement....that compressor housing is clearnanced to the wheel. and it is a pretty precision fit. unless you can weld it up without warping it.

being a .42 housing you might be able to pick up a donor turbo on the cheap. I do have a .60 housing and weel but they are a little worn out maybe (bearings went out on turbo) but would make a good core for having a hybrid built (you can get the housing bored out for a .46 trim T4 wheel)

Well, I only had 2 bolts holding it in and they sorta chipped the flange off where it was attached. I think it will be okay - but I will have to see.

Well, I dropped the motor + turbo back into the car just to check how it fit. Of course, it didn't - so much cutting later it does. (I still have to weld in supports for all the crap I cut out, as well as make it look nice.

Since it was sitting in there, I figured what the hell, fire it up - so I did.

Runs fine. I seem to have pushed the rear of the oil pan in a little dropping it in there, so now I have a con rod whacking against it sounding like crap. I feel like this is a common problem on these engines. Must not be a lot of clearance back there.

But I can fix that when it comes out again next week.

I don't have the outlet of the turbo hooked up to the carb, and I don't have a waste gate installed yet (or a shifter installed in the tranny) so I am a ways off driving it, but it felt nice to fire it up again.

Turbo doesn't really make any noise, or it might just be that I can't hear it over the roar of the un-muffled down pipe. Need to get another 90* bend from summit so I can finish the exhaust.

But, it's in there - so add another turbo falcon to the turbo sixers list.

If I wasn't going to Hawaii next week it would be up and running by then, but alas.

Back