All Small Six No oil to rocker arm

This relates to all small sixes

deefduke

doing a rebuild of 1969 Mustang 250. Put a drill motor on oil pump and no oil is coming up to the rocker arm.

Hi deefduke, and welcome to the Ford Six forum, a few things for you to check. Do you have the correct type necked down hold down bolt at the rear rocker arm stand? If not you can grind 4 flats to a regular bolt or the correct bolt might just be in one of the other rocker arm stands. Did you clean up the inside of the rocker arm shaft, all the rocker arm oil holes, and that rear rocker shaft stand's oil passage, and last did you make sure the blocks rear oil passage for the rocker arm assembly is also clean and free of any type crud? Best of luck

It can take a lone time to get oil there ,it is the farthest place to get oil...Try a faster drill and more time.
The screw in oil galley plug behind the cam sprocket is in place, right?

It's surprising (disturbing?) how long it takes to get oil up to flowing out of rockers. May be you need to simply run pump longer. If still no oil after a good 30-60 secs' , pull oil light/gauge sensor at rear of block. Oil pumps to there first, and it will indicate if pump is operating.

It can take a lone time to get oil there ,it is the farthest place to get oil...Try a faster drill and more time.
The screw in oil galley plug behind the cam sprocket is in place, right?
It's surprising (disturbing?) how long it takes to get oil up to flowing out of rockers. May be you need to simply run pump longer. If still no oil after a good 30-60 secs' , pull oil light/gauge sensor at rear of block. Oil pumps to there first, and it will indicate if pump is operating.

there is oil coming out at the gauge port. I took rocker arms off so I could see the hole where the oil is supposed to come out. There is oil coming out after about 30 seconds but it is a fairly low volume of oil, how much should be coming out, I thought it would squirt out.
Not sure on the screw. Where is it located?

If you milled the head, make sure your oil transfer slot is deep enough.
If you had new cam bearings installed lets hope the shop installed the rear one properly.
Oil goes from the rear main up to the rear cam bearing then via a groove in the rear camshaft journal then in a second hole in the bearing then up to the rear of the head.
Make sure you are priming the pump clockwise on the oil pump hex shaft.

1635033060192.png
See the screw in plug by the cam retainer bolt hole that is it..If it is not there oil will pour out unseen and oil pressure will be very low..There is one like it at the rear, but if that is missing, oil will leak out the bell housing .I would remove the oil pressure sender ,plumb a gauge and find up how much pressure you can get with the drill ..Remember it takes a long time to get oil to the rockers.

What volume of oil should I expect to see at the port on the top of the head. I have oil coming up but I thought it would be squirting out

View attachment 8848
See the screw in plug by the cam retainer bolt hole that is it..If it is not there oil will pour out unseen and oil pressure will be very low..There is one like it at the rear, but if that is missing, oil will leak out the bell housing .I would remove the oil pressure sender ,plumb a gauge and find up how much pressure you can get with the drill ..Remember it takes a long time to get oil to the rockers.
Thank you very much. I will take the cover off and check and see if the plug is in

I missed the post that says that you are getting oil to the rockers...So at this point I would not check for the plug because it is a lot of work ...You really need to get a gauge on it to know for sure...The oil flow will not be alot of flow at the rockers using a drill.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I will take the cover off and check and see if the plug is in
The plug was not in. I looked through the box that I put all the nuts, bolts, and various small parts in and saw it. Put it in, reassembled timing chain cover, and now when I run the drill I have lots of oil dripping out of all the rocket arms.
thank you very much for the help😀

tech archive above, top blue, horrizontal line:

"the Handbook"

both for all things ford6. If U have those 2 and tools, we're here to cheer U on 8^ 0

Back