On my second fuel pump in a week. Help!

A

Anonymous

I had a post going on about idle stumbling questions a few days ago. I replaced my fuel pump and everything was fine for a week. The new fuel pump will not hold over 3 PSI now. I just had my gas tank flushed and just installed NEW fuel lines 2 days before the new pump gave out. The old pump would hold 6.5 PSI, but the longer it ran it slowly declined until it competely quit. The new pump showed almost 7 PSI when new, but today my mustang quit while about a mile from my house. I popped the top off the carb and the bowl was empty. The needle vavle and seat are fine and the float is good. I put the top back on and unhooked my fuel line to the carb and turned the car over a few times. Very little gas came out. I had the car towed back to the house where I hooked a gauge in line to check the fuel pressure. I primed the carb and it started up, only held about 3 PSI until it went to nothing.

What could cause 2 pumps to go out in the same mannor? Is it just bad luck, or does anyone thing there could be something else at play here?

I have considered going to an electrical pump and inline filter. What should the exact PSI be on a 200ci 65 stang with 1bbl autolite 1100. I have been told about 6-6.5.

you may have a defective pump. if you bought the same exact pump from the same place they were probably manufactured at the same time and with the same defects. are there any leaks where the pump seals against the block?

There are no leaks. The first pump was on the car when I got it, not a new one. It looked to be the original pump or a newer Ford/Motorcraft pump. The new one I bought was a GP Sorenson. I was thinking of going with the Mr. Gasket electronic pump instead.

Remove the fuel cap & see if the fuel pressure improves??

If yes then a vent probem with the cap.

If no you have a clogged sock-filter on the fuel sender in the tank.

I doubt 2 fuel pumps in a row are defective??, but you never know.

Blow out the fuel lines & even run an old speedo cable in the fuel lines.

Strange as it may seem, I have seen a small rock stuck in a fuel line.

Advise what you find. William

My 62 doen't have a vented cap instaed it has a vented tank. that vent line was clogged with mud dauber nests and it gave me fits. then one day i took a piece of fence wire and compressed air to it --viola everything fixed itself--and it was soooo much easier to put gas in the tank.

Back