All Small Six Rocker rail swap

This relates to all small sixes

PAford

Ok I’m swapping my 200 out of my 1966 mustang because of a blown piston. I found a rebuilt engine and picked it up but it has no rocker assembly. Story goes a guy was rebuilding a 66 mustang and passed away before completing the car. The unfinished project ended up at a yard and was parting it out. The block is C6DE-6015-B as is the engine in my 66. The rebuilt motor is complete other than rockers and push rods. My 66 has the adjustable rocker rail that I guess is an older rail system from a 170? Now my block has solid lifters but the rebuilt has hydraulic. Can I swap my rocker rail and push rods onto the rebuilt with the hydraulic lifters?

Absolutely yes you can directly swap over your rocker arms and push rods. if possible i like to try and keep all the push rods in their original order as they were installed. Best of luck

Just checking the head and my 66 mustang has a c9de-6090-j and the rebuilt is a c6de-6090-b, don’t know if that makes a difference with the rocker rail

Absolutely yes you can directly swap over your rocker arms and push rods. if possible i like to try and keep all the push rods in their original order as they were installed. Best of luck
Would I need to adjust the rockers when installing it on the new head?

Congratulations your C9DE-6090-J head is one of the large log Heads this is a much better head than what's on the replacement 1966 short block that C6DE-6090-B head is the stock 1966 early small log 200 head.

All the Log Head castings from 1960 to 1983 will be the same as far as the height on the mounting bosses for the Rocker Arm Assemblys so they will all interchange, yes you will probally need to adjust the rocker arms. Since your current engine has that large log head on it and you might also have a larger bore Carb used with it too (some pictures of all your parts would be very helpful). If you have one of the later model large bore Carbs be aware that it won't just bolt directly onto the early C6 head without some moding. I am also wounding which type distributor and carb are being used togeather in your current engine. Best of luck Efited

Hi, as mentioned, all the parts will work together. Get a copy of The Ford Falcon Performance Handbook and read the tech section here. There are differences in the heads, carbs, and ignition systems and you can put together a "better" combination of parts. I would pull the head off of the junkyard engine and cc the combustion chambers. Yes, you will have to adjust the pre load on the new hydraulic lifters. Good luck

Thank you guys. I’m new to the 200, all my previous mustangs had the 302 so I’m learning a lot in this forum and yes I’ll be ordering the Ford Falcon performance handbook as I’ve seen that referenced all over this place. Once again, I appreciate all the info and insight.

and the 'new one':
with this to read while waiting 4 delivery:

Back