turbo pulling power set up

kirkallen143

Famous Member
Howdy all,

Y'all have me foaming at the mouth over this turbo on a 200. Realistically, it seems to be a wonderous way to achieve HP, not only to look kool when you pop the hood. I will be another to turbocharge our small block ford sixes.
Now the set up:
1)Of course nothing in the extremes of drag racing or strip, just more power for all-out handling and pulling a load
2)Milled log to except direct mount 2-barrel, port/polish, 3 angle, larger 1.75 intake and 1.5 exhaust valves, mill head ('75) to obtain original 8.2 to 1 CR (that's with fel-pro gasket), and add port divider (anything I forgot?)
3)Use a TO3 (trim 50)? Want to spool up at 1500rpm and run out at 4500rpm.
4)Holley 2300 350cfm fuel source
5)blow through sys and no intercooler, yet
6)I am thinking in the 225HP range w/ this set-up
I am hoping to touch on the basics at least, for I am just starting (guess I need to buy a DIY turbo book). Well it's a start, what ya think?

Kirk ' 73 bronco

Fine man, just fine. The stock 200 with mods will do around 125 hp if modified right with a very mild cam. The 350 2-bbl runs out at 250 hp under boost, so I guess you'll need at least 14 pounds of boost to run it properly. If you go for a wilder cam, you do get more power, and as long as its not over the 215 degree at 50 thou/ 280 degree at lash so called 30/70 cam specs, you may even get around 225 hp from less than 12 pounds boost.

The best way to get the power with less boost is to do all the mods that JackCollins has suggested..3-angle valve grind, pocket and bowl work, a really good exhast manifold, and a great cam.

A turbo engine responds to cam, carb, header design and exhast work just like a non-turbo engine. Only thing is, don't over cam. On a Ford six, you can run a quite wild cam becasue the engine has short rods and poor breathing. As long as the cam has nice, gentle ramps to lift the valves, it will respond to lots of lift, and quite a lot of duration (time open).

The correct turbo is a TO3 Super 60, or a turbo that emulates the specs of that turbo. They were originally designed for a 3 liter Nissan EFI six, and run 200 hp on very little boost. They have an integral waste gate, and can yield up to 370 hp before over speeding. You have to ensure any turbo you get is quite small to reduce lag time, but big enough to yield power if you need it.

If you can't get one, a to4 will work if its a smaller item. You loose a lot of low-end torque and create lag on an off the throttle on the street with a T04, and you'll need to run a loose converter on a C4 to allow it to work. The diff ratio has to be lower, and you'll sacrifice some cruise rpm.

The TO3 Super 60 is the best item if you can get one cheaply enough!

Thank you kind sir, your reply is most appreciated. On the cam side (forgot to add) keeping stock (or something close) and going to run the 1.6 ratio roller rockers. Thanks again.

Kirk ' 73 bronco

Back