Weird Goop in the Fill neck of the Rocker Cover.

'68falconohio

Subject describes it.
I had a 250 mile round trip planned to grandmother's today in my bird.
I stopped at the filling station to buy fuel and check the vitals on the engine before the trip.
Pulled the dipstick and the oil was clean(3k since last change) but was a half quart, at most, low. Oil on stick was not frothy at all.
Being nit-picky about my engine, which has 10k on full rebuild, I went back in and bought a quart of 10w-30 oil. Twas Valvoline 10w-40.

When I pulled the cap off the rocker cover there was a good amount of stuff that for a lack of better words, looked like phlegm. It was gooey and yellow in color in the neck of the fill tube. I wish I had a digi camera that worked, 1) to show a pictorial of the goop, 2) to document the amount of swearing I did at the filling station. I topped it off with the Valvoline and drove to grandma's. Living in an apt. kinda sucks when you want to do car maintenance right quick.

I used Kendall GT-1 conventional 10w-40 for the first 500 miles on engine, then changed oil and filter.
Next round was Kendall GT-1 conventional 10w-40 and new filter for 3k.
Next round was Kendall GT-1 conventional 10w-40 and new filter for 3.5k.
Last time I changed oil I used Mobil1 synthetic 10w-40 and new filter. 3k so far and it's getting changed asap.
I've used a Motorcraft FL-1A filter everytime.

Oil change is in the works for tomorrow after Santa comes, might pull the rocker cover and see what's going on in there?!

There didn't seem to be oil in the antifreeze but my head gasket is seeping very very little oil on the driver side.(I can see a little wetness below the mating surface)

Any thoughts on what this gooey stuff is?!?! Am I overreacting? I'm still a major newbie.

Thanks guys,
Stephen

I'm certain its nothing but condensation, a dew point is being formed there and I have seen it a bunch of times, you have probably had alot of wet cold weather lately where you live. Just pull it every once and awhile and wipe most of the goop, its just moisture and water and make sure your breather and PVC are in good working order.

as broncitis said, that is a definate sign that water has gotten into the oil. in small quantity this is considered normal. in larger quantity, it is often a sign of coolant leaking into the oil, which is a head gasket issue in most cases. when this is the case, you usually notice coolant loss, and when pulling the oilpan drain plug you will notice water pouring out before oil does. if this is your case, you have a problem that needs to be adressed. but if all else is normal, its normal condensation as broncitis said.

I would agree also about condensation. A lot of times it will come from making short runs where your engine never really heats up enough to burn the moisture out normally.

Winter time in Columbus, Ohio? Not to worry, it's just a bit of condensation, nothing that a good, long freeway drive won't cure.
Joe

No worries. Does your setup have a PCV or is it a draft tube? I would expect it to be worse with a draft tube. Short trips and or low operating temps are when you usually see this. Stuff like that is one of the many reasons most cars run around 200*. You see goo like that all the time on boats. For some reason they tend to run those around 140*.

Two things happen. As the PCV system works it draws in moist outside air thru the engine. Then when you stop the engine the hot air in the engine block cools, which contracts and draws in more outside air. The outside air is moist and the water vapour will eventually condense. The goop you are seeing is the mixture of water (liquid) and oil. It is called an emulsion; I bet the goop is milky looking? Anyway, its very normal for this to happne in the Midwest at this time of year. And to get rid of the water, do as others have stated here: just drive it for a good long drive and get the engine up to temp. The water will boil off.

8) i have had that happen with a few different engines in areas where there was moderate to high humidity and moderate to low temperatures. it just means the condensation from the moisture in the air is not getting hot enough to burn off. you will know when you have a problem when the oil in the pan looks like a milkshake rather than just at the fill cap.

Back